Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

CZ passenger injured near Truckee CA, unknown circumstances

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

reading the statements by the family on that Facebook page makes me sick. Amtrak police is telling the family it was a suicide attempt?

We (me included) are whining about boxed meals, meanwhile Passengers are being raped and beaten on Amtrak trains and Amtrak always says it's not their fault.

Thanks for posting this. While reading this thread, I too have been thinking about other incidents, particularly the case of rape on the EB discussed here.

#42 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

The news story I read mentioned burn marks on the legs. How do you get that jumping off a moving train?

#43 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

One of the linked to news articles noted Aaron's family said the burns (severe) are on the insides of his thighs.

From what I have read I think he was assaulted on the train by his new "friend", rendered unconscious, and then thrown off the train by his assailant.

Did the 5 (13) have a coach/bag car in the consist?

If so the baggage area would be a place Aaron could have been assaulted.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#44 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

I don't think the zephyr typically operates with a coach / baggage.

The friend adds an interesting twist, but I still fail to make the direct connection to the friend being the attacker. That's certainly a possibility, but the friend could have also reported the guy missing and be ignored by Amtrak personell, and that would be another reason everything is so hush hush. This is a very troubling case, and it looks like it's all happened before, on the same route years ago.(Robin Putnmam case).

Edited by crescent-zephyr, 25 May 2018 - 11:17 AM.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#45 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Just as a point of clarification, as the question has come up:  Even if the Zephyr isn't scheduled to use a coach/baggage car, such a car can often be found in a train's consist to provide the needed coach capacity, either as an added car or as a substitute for a regular coach if one of the latter is not available.

Posted Image

#46 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

It's also normal for the door to the coach portion of a lower level car to be closed. That blocks off a lot of noise and vision for the few coach passengers riding in that section.

Of course we can't rule out that this happened in an employee only area of the train.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#47 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

The only information about the "burns" on his legs comes from the family. The family's initial statement described it as "a mysterious rash or burn". It later became "severe burns". Friction burns from hanging onto something? Something completely unrelated to the incident? Something that's nothing but has grown in the telling?

The news story I read mentioned burn marks on the legs. How do you get that jumping off a moving train?

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#48 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

Oregon members of congress are getting involved. Guess they see the potential of "criminal intent" that Amtrak PD seems to be incapable of thinking of.

https://www.portland...gay-psu-student
  • Seaboard92 and daybeers like this

#49 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

If you go to AU member Agent's YouTube channel (he is A. train there) you will see the CZ often has a coach/bag in it's consist.

Agent shoots video of the CZ almost daily.

Whatever happened, in the news Amtrak PD is looking less than competent.

Edited by KmH, 25 May 2018 - 07:00 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#50 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

If you go to AU member Agent's YouTube channel (he is A. train there) you will see the CZ often has a coach/bag in it's consist.

Agent shoots video of the CZ almost daily.

Whatever happened, in the news Amtrak PD is looking less than competent.

Great channel, BTW. Here's the link to all his CZ catches. Almost all of them have a coach baggage.

Edited by cpotisch, 25 May 2018 - 07:06 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#51 lthanlon

lthanlon

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Here's some coverage that also lists other incidents: Amtrak gay mystery deepens as more deaths, injuries revealed.

L.T. Hanlon | Chicago, USA
Trains traveled: California Zephyr, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle

#52 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Here's some coverage that also lists other incidents: Amtrak gay mystery deepens as more deaths, injuries revealed.

WOW!!!

• crescent2 likes this

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#53 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

Makes me wonder if an employee is a serial killer . . .

#54 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 26 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

Makes me wonder if an employee is a serial killer . . .

That thought crossed my mind, too! That theory should be easy to check out! I hate to say it, but I wouldn't have thought an employee would be charged with rape, either! I'm not in Law Enforcement, so I'll shut up!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#55 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

If Amtrak kept records of who was working those trains it is easy to check. Of course I’m sure law enforcement does not need any help with this.

#56 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

One of those cases, a victim got off the train with another woman before his stop. This might be a case of correlation does not mean causation.

Edited by chrsjrcj, 26 May 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#57 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

One of those cases, a victim got off the train with another woman before his stop. This might be a case of correlation does not mean causation.

The case where he got off in Salt Lake City? That was the official story until his remains were found by the side of the tracks BEFORE Salt Lake City. Read about it. Another young male, traveling alone, going home to visit family on the same route.

#58 spinnaker

spinnaker

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

How is it possible for a rape and/or assault to occur on a train without a dozen or more people hearing it?

#59 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

The case where he got off in Salt Lake City? That was the official story until his remains were found by the side of the tracks BEFORE Salt Lake City. Read about it. Another young male, traveling alone, going home to visit family on the same route.

I actually read it from a different news site, but rereading shows I misread it. The CZ cases are concerning. I do wonder how its possible considering all the eyes in coach and the thin walls in the sleeper, but the rape case shows it unfortunately has happened.

I suppose the important lesson here is dont trust people you meet on the train and lock your compartment doors. I wish Amtrak would be more open with these cases too.

#60 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

How is it possible for a rape and/or assault to occur on a train without a dozen or more people hearing it?

I can't tell if you're being serious or sheltered.  If you really want an answer there are any number of true crime books, documentaries, podcasts, interrogation transcripts, forensic reports, and case studies that can answer those sorts of questions in excruciating detail.

• jis, Eric S, SarahZ and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users