Business class on today's (5/19) #350

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LSA on this trip is outstanding. The most interesting thing is that as soon as we left Chicago he went and took everyone’s drink order in BC, Then brought them their drink. It was evident that he does this every time with the polish that this was accomplished.

I commented to him later that I had never seen this before. He said he has heard that numerous times, and that all LSA’s should do this in business class. He mentioned extenuating circumstances such as the equipment coming in late from the yard as a reasonable cause for not doing this.

The LSA on this trip is outstanding. The most interesting thing is that as soon as we left Chicago he went and took everyone’s drink order in BC, Then brought them their drink. It was evident that he does this every time with the polish that this was accomplished.

I commented to him later that I had never seen this before. He said he has heard that numerous times, and that all LSA’s should do this in business class. He mentioned extenuating circumstances such as the equipment coming in late from the yard as a reasonable cause for not doing this.

He was probably trained by the old guard. Their legacy is rarely felt these days but boy did they have pride and ability. They were a smooth group. They could probably spill food on you, turn around and sell you the crumbs off your own shirt...and you'd tip them!

As such, you probably shouldn't have posted this. They will likely get rid of him for making everyone else appear lackluster.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think that would s the case alert the moderator and they can delete it.
I was being facetious. I was just lamenting how things that used to be basic and second nature now appears uncommon. I remember when trains would arrive at a station and the crew members would wipe down the handrails prior to the passengers using them. This happened at every stop. I did this recently since a train was shorthanded and I was assisting them at a low level stop. The crew and passengers looked at me as if I had two heads when I explained why I was doing it.

How often do you hear the crews standing along side the train, announcing major station stops long the route as the train is loading in the stations?

Things of the past.

My mistake. I was actually concerned for the employee involved.

I remember some trips from my childhood where employees cleaned the hand rails and called out the car numbers for sleepers and destinations for coaches.

Now they don’t even bother to change the line number on the car.

I wonder if that is the same young man I had going north to Chicago on Wednesday? He was the best I have seen in years and his attitude was exactly as your mentioning, that it was his job to make the passengers enjoy the trip. His name was Maurice, but his tag said Reese since he said he didn't care for his real name. He told me that Amtrak had been having meetings with the attendants about what was expected of them if they were to keep their jobs. His came naturally I would say. As others pointed out that used to be the norm not the exception.

Just recalling the old GM&O parlor car to Chicgao in the 60's. The fellow on it was elderly but brushed off every passengers clothing they were wearing when departing the train and carried the luggage off the train before you departed as well as going down the aisle with his shoe shine brush before arriving. That car had single seats on both sides so access to shoes was easy. It was always a joy to see him when traveling.

I was being facetious. I was just lamenting how things that used to be basic and second nature now appears uncommon. I remember when trains would arrive at a station and the crew members would wipe down the handrails prior to the passengers using them. This happened at every stop. I did this recently since a train was shorthanded and I was assisting them at a low level stop. The crew and passengers looked at me as if I had two heads when I explained why I was doing it.

How often do you hear the crews standing along side the train, announcing major station stops long the route as the train is loading in the stations?

Things of the past.
I wouldn't say it's a thing of the past completely. I'm held to that standard, and so are most of my colleagues. I'm also one who will wish the Amtrak passengers getting on or off as they pass my car going into the terminal a nice day. But then again the PV industry is substantially different then Amtrak. One of the best Amtrak attendants out there is Rion on the CONO.
I've also been known to help Amtrak's passengers with mobility issues get into the terminal if we have a long enough dwell. Or if I don't have time to use my radio to call a red cap. But I'm not the average PV person either.

We get this kind of service in business class on the Pacific Surfliner all the time. Maybe all the good LSA's moved out West.
default_wink.png

We get this kind of service in business class on the Pacific Surfliner all the time. Maybe all the good LSA's moved out West.
default_wink.png
That's because the Surfliner is state funded and as I understand it, very profitable. It's known for having what is perhaps the best business class offering in the Amtrak system.

default_wink.png
That's because the Surfliner is state funded and as I understand it, very profitable. It's known for having what is perhaps the best business class offering in the Amtrak system.
How could a state subsidized service be "very profitable?" If it were profitable, it would not need state funding.

default_wink.png
How could a state subsidized service be "very profitable?" If it were profitable, it would not need state funding.
Retroactive phrasing change: “Well utilized”. And yes, I know those are very different things.

default_wink.png
Retroactive phrasing change: “Well utilized”. And yes, I know those are very different things.
100% fare box recovery is not a goal for the State supported trains. Increased ridership and OTP I believe are the key metrics for the State. At one point the Surfliner did bring in a profit, but the State expanded the the Surfliner by adding more trains which brought it back down to where it is now about 75%ish fare box recovery.

I have had this LSA before and there is also a female LSA that does this on the Michigan trains too...I complimented her later and she said she just liked to make it nice for people! How about that! As opposed to the sourpusses in Union Station! LOL!

100% fare box recovery is not a goal for the State supported trains. Increased ridership and OTP I believe are the key metrics for the State.
I'm in the minority these days but I believe these should be Amtrak's goals as well. Increased ridership, better OTP and better management of funds should trump revenue.

Things of the past.
I wouldn't say it's a thing of the past completely. I'm held to that standard, and so are most of my colleagues. I'm also one who will wish the Amtrak passengers getting on or off as they pass my car going into the terminal a nice day. But then again the PV industry is substantially different then Amtrak. One of the best Amtrak attendants out there is Rion on the CONO.
I've also been known to help Amtrak's passengers with mobility issues get into the terminal if we have a long enough dwell. Or if I don't have time to use my radio to call a red cap. But I'm not the average PV person either.
I wonder if Rion has ever served on the Crescent? My SCA on that trip was very personable and did a great job. The name you mentioned is the same, or nearly so, that that SCA.

Things of the past.
I wonder if Rion has ever served on the Crescent? My SCA on that trip was very personable and did a great job. The name you mentioned is the same, or nearly so, that that SCA.
How recent were you on it. He was working it according to his Facebook a few weeks ago.

100% fare box recovery is not a goal for the State supported trains. Increased ridership and OTP I believe are the key metrics for the State.
I'm in the minority these days but I believe these should be Amtrak's goals as well. Increased ridership, better OTP and better management of funds should trump revenue.
I’m not sure that you’re in the minority so much as the folks writing the subsidy checks disagree. Only one cure for that...

default_wink.png
Checkout this pdf, page 8. It lists fare box recover since 1977. Last year numbers stand at 79.2% recovery rate. Check page 20 to see how LOSSAN and the State measure success. LOSSAN and the other two agencies put these annual business plan out for the public to see.

http://www.octa.net/pdf/LOSSAN_Business_Plan_FY_18-19_and_FY_19-20.pdf

The three metrics for success are:

Usage: Ridership/Passenger Miles

Efficiency: Farebox recovery and cost per passenger mile (55% recovery is considered good)

Service Quality: OTP

default_wink.png
The OP mentioned departing Chicago. He didn't mention his destination; so it could have been 448. Buy I suspect it was also "state funded", whatever that means. it could be Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana.

default_wink.png
The OP mentioned departing Chicago. He didn't mention his destination; so it could have been 448. Buy I suspect it was also "state funded", whatever that means. it could be Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana.
He said it was train #350, which is an Eastbound Wolverine.

Had similar service on the Downeaster, attendant even brought their outstanding chicken sandwich right to my BC seat, really impressed my girlfriend compared to the typical service on the NEC.
Which really puts us to shame, because that attendant is from an outside company.
I've never asked for it but BC attendant on the Surfliner do go to the cafe car to grab food and beverage for passengers. I personally would feel awkward asking them but I've seen them do it for passengers. Some even make an announcement saying that they would go grab it for them.

Back