Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

food (meals on 28 and 30)

28 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

Many are talking about the dinner box out of Portland and how it is given around Vancouver. Note that he is boarding in Pasco (which is almost to Spokane) around 9 pm!

The context was primarily that the Capitol will soon offer cold boxed meals, somewhat like the Portland section dinner. Not that Bob will be served it.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#22 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,952 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

The original question that was asked was “What is the 1st meal (he) will be served on the Empire Builder”, and many were saying the dinner out on Portland which you get in Vancouver.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#23 spinnaker

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

A very big and grateful THANKS!! to all who replied about meals.

One more question, please.......

Is there any way I can verify my brother Bob actually boarded the train at Pasco, WA?  If I call the Amtrak 800 # will Amtrak confirm he boarded? 

I want him to get a neighbor to take him to the station.  He lives in Richland, WA about 15 miles away.  He doesn't want to "bother" anybody and insists he knows where he can leave his car safely...........he can be such a stubborn old goat at times.

Also, has anybody on this site ever purchased and USED the trip insurance offered by Amtrak?

Thanks in advance for any info provided

Why not have him simply call you when he boards the train?   He does have a cell phone?

#24 Guest_William_*

Guest_William_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:02 AM

Good luck to your independent brother.  He will enjoy himself immensely.  I am over 80 and do a trans-continental Amtrak trek every year.  It is not the easiest thing in the world, however.  I have always said it's a bit like "Fancy Camping".  There are unknowns and rules and certain knowledges that one must understand in order to make ones journey a pleasant one.  A 90 year old friend of mine, who took a solo journey like mine thought he could do it as well.  Well, he didn't hear the announcements and missed dinner once.  Then after meeting new friends at a meal, decided they would have dinner again at 8PM that night.  He went at eight only to discover that the last seating had passed.  I encourage your Brother to do his "homework" on sites like this.  It will make for a much more enjoyable Amtrak experience.

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

A very big and grateful THANKS!! to all who replied about meals.

One more question, please.......

Is there any way I can verify my brother Bob actually boarded the train at Pasco, WA?  If I call the Amtrak 800 # will Amtrak confirm he boarded? 

I want him to get a neighbor to take him to the station.  He lives in Richland, WA about 15 miles away.  He doesn't want to "bother" anybody and insists he knows where he can leave his car safely...........he can be such a stubborn old goat at times.

Also, has anybody on this site ever purchased and USED the trip insurance offered by Amtrak?

Thanks in advance for any info provided

Why not have him simply call you when he boards the train?   He does have a cell phone?

He already said that's what he was going to do.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#26 Guest_William_*

Guest_William_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

As to your question re: Trip Insurance offered by Amtrak, I have had experience with this and offer that with a caveat.  I ticked the choice on each leg of a booked Amtrak Journey.  When I went to the Insurance provider to have them all put into one coverage, I discovered that one only covered the loss of my electronics, Another did have trip cancellations, but with many exclusions.  I will keep it for my upcoming trip, and hope for the best.  But in the future, I will go to one of the highest rated providers that my needs require.  A Google search gave me all the choices one could want - including price points and value.  Also, there is the potential cost for the families of those with advanced years of "re-patriation of remains", which can cost up to 20K, should the misfortune arise.

And if you used Amtrak Rewards for any part of your itinerary, I imagine they don't deal with the return of those (very valuable) points; only "The cost of the trip".

I hope this helps.

#27 Guest_Dominick Stevens_*

Guest_Dominick Stevens_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

I write to again thank all who have posted and shared the vast knowledge base all of you have acquired.  I sent my brother Bob a cell phone.  He called me on the house phone and told me it doesn't work..........no "dial tone"......

I'm looking at this Consumer Cellular unit that indeed has a dial tone and will send that out to him...

But in reality, I don't expect him to be able to really use it until he gets here to Washington D.C. and I can walk him through it's operation.

I did find a phone number for the Pasco, WA "Transportation Center"......was impressed with the pictures people posted on  "Yelp"..looks brand new and spiffy clean and swell lighted............I'll try calling to see if anyone at the station would be willing to help me out.  Often, people in smaller towns will step forward to help if asked.

Again, I thank all who took the time to post and all the suggestions and pointers offered.  Much appreciated andd I'm grateful to you all.

"Nick"

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

[quote name="Dominick Stevens" post="755251" timestamp="1527028479"]I write to again thank all who have posted and shared the vast knowledge base[u] [/u]all of you have acquired.  I sent my brother Bob a cell phone.  He called me on the house phone and told me it doesn't work..........no "dial tone"......

I'm looking at this Consumer Cellular unit that indeed has a dial tone and will send that out to him...

But in reality, I don't expect him to be able to really use it until he gets here to Washington D.C. and I can walk him through it's operation.

I did find a phone number for the Pasco, WA "Transportation Center"......was impressed with the pictures people posted on  "Yelp"..looks brand new and spiffy clean and swell lighted............I'll try calling to see if anyone at the station would be willing to help me out.  Often, people in smaller towns will step forward to help if asked.

Again, I thank all who took the time to post and all the suggestions and pointers offered.  Much appreciated andd I'm grateful to you all.

"Nick"
[/quote]
You’re very welcome. Hope Bob has a good trip!

#29 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

Your brother will enjoy the closest thing Amtrak really has anymore, to first class service, on the Empire Builder. 

Be sure to let him know of the red cap service in Chicago, they can take him to the Metropolitan Lounge to wait for the Cap, so he doesn't have to walk through the station which is almost always very hectic.  The Lounge staff will announce boarding and he can request Red Cap service to go back out to the track for boarding.  

Food options on the CL are no longer what you would think of as first class.  No hot breakfast with protein, it's cold continental options and no one knows quite what that looks like yet as it doesn't take effect until June 1st.  My experience on the CL to Washington is that it's poorly provisioned to begin with, and often late.  So with this new "cold choices" crap, tell your brother to obtain and save whatever is offered, even if it's not a preferred option, that way if the train is late he won't feel sick from not eating.  The cafe car should have hot breakfast sandwiches available, if they don't sell out, which FC passengers should automatically receive as part of the fare but don't get me started on that....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users