Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Great Dome 2018 Schedule

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:45 PM

Well, I've never ridden in Amtrak's Great Dome; I was debating whether it was worth it. 

I've ridden in other full domes and other short domes (privately owned attached to the Hiawatha, domes on the Grand Canyon Railway), so I figure I probably wasn't missing much, right?

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#102 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:37 PM

Well, I've never ridden in Amtrak's Great Dome; I was debating whether it was worth it. 

I've ridden in other full domes and other short domes (privately owned attached to the Hiawatha, domes on the Grand Canyon Railway), so I figure I probably wasn't missing much, right?

If you have already ridden on other short and full domes, you would not be missing much at all...just perhaps the experience of riding on the sole remaining Amtrak dome, if that means anything to you, or if you ride it on a route that you haven't ridden in a dome previously.

That said, I am very sorry to hear of this news, and hope they replace that glass ASAP....if they have the window in stock in Beech Grove, they could send it to Boston or Albany to be replaced...it is not that hard to replace a window...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#103 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 AM

Some are speculating that the Renssalaer maintenance facility might be able to fix it.  We might know shortly.

#104 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 AM

Some are speculating that the Renssalaer maintenance facility might be able to fix it.  We might know shortly.

Have you heard how long it may take if, in fact, that facility may be able to fix it?

Amtrak miles: 246,317; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#105 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,361 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted Yesterday, 01:05 PM

I was going to ride it last year, but it was bad ordered and did not run. I hope that does not happen 2 years in a row!:(
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#106 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Have you heard how long it may take if, in fact, that facility may be able to fix it?

Unfortunately, I do not.  Sorry.  Amtrak certainly hasn't rushed to make an announcement on it [so: what else is new?], which might be signaling an early --but hopefully not permanent--demise of the car's operation.

Edited by Palmetto, Yesterday, 02:26 PM.

#107 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Unfortunately, I do not.  Sorry.  Amtrak certainly hasn't rushed to make an announcement on it [so: what else is new?], which might be signaling an early --but hopefully not permanent--demise of the car's operation.

I have a reservation on Friday and just phoned and spoke to an AGR agent as asked about the car after telling him what I read on Facebook.  The agent put me on hold and checked something then came back and informed me that he could not find anything about the damage and removal from the consist on train 68 on Friday.  The agent told me that not everything on Facebook is accurate (lol), but the photo looked pretty authentic to me.  I likely will cancel my trip since I do not want to ride the Adirondack on Friday without the dome.

Amtrak miles: 246,317; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#108 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

I have a reservation on Friday and just phoned and spoke to an AGR agent as asked about the car after telling him what I read on Facebook.  The agent put me on hold and checked something then came back and informed me that he could not find anything about the damage and removal from the consist on train 68 on Friday.  The agent told me that not everything on Facebook is accurate (lol), but the photo looked pretty authentic to me.  I likely will cancel my trip since I do not want to ride the Adirondack on Friday without the dome.

Yeah, I've been looking all over the web and haven't found anything about this. Could be that it's real and hasn't gotten much attention, but you'd figure that there'd at least by some other forums talking about it.  :wacko:

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#109 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:17 PM

Yeah, I've been looking all over the web and haven't found anything about this. Could be that it's real and hasn't gotten much attention, but you'd figure that there'd at least by some other forums talking about it.  :wacko:

It has been mentioned at Trainorders, although quoting the same Facebook post.

#110 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:22 PM

It has been mentioned at Trainorders, although quoting the same Facebook post.

What day was this posted on Facebook?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#111 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:34 PM

Yesterday in Amtrak Fans FB group

#112 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Yesterday in Amtrak Fans FB group

Thanks. There are videos of the Dome running as recently as 9/21, so wanted to figure out how long ago this was posted on FB and if it were probably incorrect.

#113 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:20 PM

I went ahead and canceled my Friday reservation.  Thanks for your input everyone.  :)

#114 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM

If I may ask, why didn't you wait until a day out or whatever is the limit and cancel it then?

#115 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,757 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:41 PM

If I may ask, why didn't you wait until a day out or whatever is the limit and cancel it then?

Long story.... but I am leaving town on Wednesday and I have a busy day tomorrow, so I wanted to get it done and off my "to do" list.  

• jebr and cpotisch like this

#116 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 PM

*in an anxious and hopeful tone* Any news on this?

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users