Great Dome 2018 Schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting! We've already been considering a trip to Boston this summer, so it looks like we might be able to catch Ocean View while we're at it!

You really have to respect the lack of attention to detail or the lack of knowledge that went into this posting. I caught it right away.

Behold:

Stunning Views. Spectacular Opportunities.

The "Great Dome" car offers a rare and unique fall travel experience to view this season's brilliance on the Adirondack and Cardinal train. The dome is open to all passengers on a first come, first served basis on select departures. The dome car features an upper level with windows on all sides and overhead to provide the passengers with panoramic views of magnificent scenery. Book your train tickets today to kick off your fall travel adventure. Already got your train tickets? Don't forget to make a hotel reservation at your destination to complete the trip.
The Cardinal??? I don't think it has been used on the Cardinal in a few years and nothing about the schedule indicates that it will be anywhere NEAR the Cardinal.

What did they do? Dust off an old press release and without reading it, post it on the website and add an updated schedule?

This is what happens when there is no connection to the product.

You really have to respect the lack of attention to detail or the lack of knowledge that went into this posting. I caught it right away.

Behold:

The "Great Dome" car offers a rare and unique fall travel experience to view this season's brilliance on the Adirondack and Cardinal train. The dome is open to all passengers on a first come, first served basis on select departures. The dome car features an upper level with windows on all sides and overhead to provide the passengers with panoramic views of magnificent scenery. Book your train tickets today to kick off your fall travel adventure. Already got your train tickets? Don't forget to make a hotel reservation at your destination to complete the trip.
The Cardinal??? I don't think it has been used on the Cardinal in a few years and nothing about the schedule indicates that it will be anywhere NEAR the Cardinal.

What did they do? Dust off an old press release and without reading it, post it on the website and add an updated schedule?

Unfortunately that kind of thing seems to happen more and more in today's world. People seem to lack reading comprehension and also are lazy about what they're reading. A lot of times I will try to contact someone to point it out, especially something posted on the internet.

But if it is on the Internet, it HAS to be correct!
default_mosking.gif

Behold:

This lack of understanding about the services and equipment shows up all the time in press releases and with USA-RAIL agents. I feel like in many cases Amtrak’s training approach is “Why bother with specifics? People’ll figure most of it out.” Like when an agent told me to put a large bag in a Viewliner sleeper’s downstairs baggage area. That sort of stuff happens all the time and can cause loads of problems for passengers with much less knowledge about the equipment and layout. Had I not known that Viewliners are single-levels and don’t have a baggage area, I would have gotten on the train with a massive bag and nowhere to put it. This is a glaring issue with Amtrak marketing and customer service, and really has to be dealt with.

Shame that it won't be on the Adirondack until after it's finished with Grand Central. Would have loved to board at such a beautiful station and later get to enjoy the views from such a beautiful car. But you can't have it all, I guess.

I know all of that. I was just saying that it would be nice to board at Grand Central and enjoy the Great Dome on the same ride. Not that the Great Dome would be at Grand Central.

I know all of that. I was just saying that it would be nice to board at Grand Central and enjoy the Great Dome on the same ride. Not that the Great Dome would be at Grand Central.
Why do that when you can take a PV out of NYG. Should have two cars running it back to back weekends during the work window. Well at least I get to but I'm crew.

Why do that when you can take a PV out of NYG. Should have two cars running it back to back weekends during the work window. Well at least I get to but I'm crew.
Because PVs are very expensive and are not necessarily the perfect option in every situation...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because PVs are very expensive and are not necessarily the perfect option in every situation...?
I was actually referring to a planned public trip. But it hasn't been finalized as of yet.

I was actually referring to a planned public trip. But it hasn't been finalized as of yet.
Oh. Sorry.

I'm surprised that Anderson didn't make the dome go away like he did with the Pacific Parlor cars. Perhaps the 'heat' from the PPC removal taught him a lesson in marketing...

I'm surprised that Anderson didn't make the dome go away like he did with the Pacific Parlor cars. Perhaps the 'heat' from the PPC removal taught him a lesson in marketing...
The dome was always a special, seasonal thing. The PPCs were ideally supposed to operate on every Starlight run. So they are two totally different things - the only connection is that the cars are both old. The Parlour Cars were an amenity; the Great Dome is a special.

Seems like a great opportunity to put the dome on the Lake Shore Limited over the Berkshires. It has to get between the two assignments doesn't it?
Unfortunately, I believe when they ferry the car, they keep it out of service, and beyond the reach of passenger's....

I may have to use this as an excuse to ride the Downeaster for the first time.
default_mosking.gif
Is there any way to know which four trips the car will be on?

Hardly. The 10031 has a supportable business case. When you see the car operating in services like the Adirondack, Hiawatha and Downeaster, the states are contributing to the costs of moving and operating the car.

That is not the case when you consider the PPC or if you use the 10031 on the Cardinal. While the states may use the car as a loss leader of sorts (and they may not incur losses, particularly with people like Rtabern around
default_wink.png
), Amtrak probably doesn't feel it adds much to the LD routes. This is particularly with Superliner Sightseer Lounges.

Back