Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Great Dome 2018 Schedule

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 cocojacoby

cocojacoby

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

Seems like a great opportunity to put the dome on the Lake Shore Limited over the Berkshires.  It has to get between the two assignments doesn't it?

#22 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

Seems like a great opportunity to put the dome on the Lake Shore Limited over the Berkshires.  It has to get between the two assignments doesn't it?

Unfortunately, I believe when they ferry the car, they keep it out of service, and beyond the reach of passenger's....

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#23 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:15 AM

I may have to use this as an excuse to ride the Downeaster for the first time. :giggle:  Is there any way to know which four trips the car will be on?

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

I may have to use this as an excuse to ride the Downeaster for the first time. :giggle:  Is there any way to know which four trips the car will be on?

They published it last year. Hopefully they update that for this year.

• daybeers likes this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#25 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

I'm surprised that Anderson didn't make the dome go away like he did with  the Pacific Parlor cars.  Perhaps the 'heat' from the PPC removal taught him a lesson in marketing...

Hardly. The 10031 has a supportable business case. When you see the car operating in services like the Adirondack, Hiawatha and Downeaster, the states are contributing to the costs of moving and operating the car. 

That is not the case when you consider the PPC or if you use the 10031 on the Cardinal. While the states may use the car as a loss leader of sorts (and they may not incur losses, particularly with people like Rtabern around ;) ), Amtrak probably doesn't feel it adds much to the LD routes. This is particularly with Superliner Sightseer Lounges.

• cpotisch likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#26 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

Great, thanks! Does anyone know when this might be updated for this year, and if there is one for the Adirondack?

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#27 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Great, thanks! Does anyone know when this might be updated for this year, and if there is one for the Adirondack?
It’s only May, and it’s gonna be on the Addie late September, so we’ve probably got to wait a bit. If memory serves, last year they published it a couple months out.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#28 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

For the Adirondack, in past years it ran from Albany to Montreal (northbound) on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It ran from Montreal to Albany (southbound) on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday.
  • iggy likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

For the Adirondack, in past years it ran from Albany to Montreal (northbound) on Thursday, Saturday and Monday. It ran from Montreal to Albany (southbound) on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday.

How many consists are there, again? Two?

#30 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

Yes, two. The one that goes northbound overnights in Montreal to return southbound the following morning.
Take it easy .......

#31 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:25 PM

It will probably take time. They'll have to figure which train is which,,,and which one isn't the Cardinal. It may take months.

• jis, Seaboard92, daybeers and 1 other like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#32 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

It will probably take time. They'll have to figure which train is which,,,and which one isn't the Cardinal. It may take months.
The updated version now reads this will be the dome's first appearance in Maine. Maybe I was just dreaming... But I swear I rode it to Brunswick in Summer 2016.

I guess the media relations folks swapped the press release from 2010 of it being on the Cardinal... for the 2016 release of it debuting on the Downeaster?

Maybe the third try will get it right?

Edited by rtabern, 28 May 2018 - 07:18 AM.

#33 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

The updated version now reads this will be the dome's first appearance in Maine. Maybe I was just dreaming... But I swear I rode it to Brunswick in Summer 2016.

You are 100% correct - this is the third year that Ocean View will run on the Downeaster. Amtrak publications like this aren’t exactly known for being particularly reliable when you get down to the details, but what are you gonna do.

#34 Amtrak706

Amtrak706

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

How hard is it to do this stuff. I mean, really. Sometimes it seems like Amtrak goes out of its way to be a stupid, incompetent mess of a railroad.

#35 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

I was hoping it was really going to be back on the Cardinal... Rode it in 2010 and 2011 several times from CHI to WAS. The scenery through WV and VA was fantastic. Didn't really care for the dome on the Adriondack (2016) or Downeaster (2017). Great scenery through NY, but the lack of dome from NYP to ALB... conductors refusing to open it until Saratoga... and sub-par Trails and Rails yacking made me not want to repeat it. On the Downeaster it was just too crowded. I like it on the Hiawatha or Midwest runs where it's a more chill experience through farm country.

#36 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,953 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:49 PM

Conductors refusing to open it until Saratoga?:huh:

Every time I have ridden it, they open it’s soon as all tickets are collected after departing Albany. That is usually 10-15 minutes or well before Schenectady.

I will agree with you about the narration. It is my home train, and once I knew more than “the expert”! He was listening to me instead!
Take it easy .......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users