Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Booking a reservation on Amtrak.com.....

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:46 PM

...is something that I cannot do!

I have tried 3-4x over a period of days to make a round trip reservation.   Several issues keep appearing.  I give up.

I will call their 1-800 number and make my reservations.

I am probably at fault, but it surely is not as easy as making flight reservations on the Delta web site.

#2 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Try making 2 one way reservations?  I don't think there's any cost advantage to making a round trip booking and by separating each way, you may save yourself some hassle and money if you need to change part or all of either the outbound on inbound reservation.

• cpotisch likes this

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

Can you give us more info as to what the problem actually is?
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Try making 2 one way reservations?  I don't think there's any cost advantage to making a round trip booking and by separating each way, you may save yourself some hassle and money if you need to change part or all of either the outbound on inbound reservation.

I have not even be able to complete a one way reservation.

#5 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

Is there any disadvantage of booking a reservation for a Roomette by phone vs. online?

#6 Montreal Ltd

Montreal Ltd

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

I struggled last week. Turned out that if I changed the date I had to start from scratch.

#7 Montreal Ltd

Montreal Ltd

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:04 PM

And then my printer printed the receipt but not the ticket! :(

#8 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

And then my printer printed the receipt but not the ticket! :(

The ticket is actually an attachment even though it looks like it’s part of the email.
  • cpotisch likes this

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

At what stage of the booking process does the problem occur?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 Montreal Ltd

Montreal Ltd

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Glitch found and circumvented. Got ticket, thanks!
  • AmtrakBlue and AcrossTheOcean like this

#11 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,059 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

Is there any disadvantage of booking a reservation for a Roomette by phone vs. online?

There is no disadvantage at all. An advantage of booking by phone is that you can request a specific room (say #4) with the agent, while online the computer just assigns the room (say #13).

The cost of a round trip ticket on Amtrak (except on the AT) is the same as 2 one way trips. There is no cost savings.
  • Chey likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#12 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

There is no disadvantage at all. An advantage of booking by phone is that you can request a specific room (say #4) with the agent, while online the computer just assigns the room (say #13).
The cost of a round trip ticket on Amtrak (except on the AT) is the same as 2 one way trips. There is no cost savings.
The AT has discounted round-trips?

#13 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,059 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

At least it did.
  • cpotisch likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hmm. Wonder why...

#15 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

The question was asked about where the problems began in my online booking process.  The date of travel calendar would not fully display for the month the trip started.  My travel date was towards the end of the month.  I tried to manually enter the date and the web site would not allow me to do so.

I called the 1-800 number this afternoon to make my reservation.  After a short time on hold, about 11 minutes, a helpful agent completed my round trip reservation quickly and efficiently.  I was able to book Roomette #1 on Train 97 and #2 on Train 98.  I am pleased. I'm looking forward to another Amtrak journey.  It's been a very long time since I traveled from Washington to Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you to those who responded to my posting.

• cpotisch likes this

#16 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:04 PM

Yeah the calendar can be a pain
  • cpotisch likes this

#17 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

The new website (I think they introduced it around Cctober) is, in my opinion, much worse from a practical perspective than the old one. The old one wasn't as visually enticing, but I the booking page was much more reliable and easy to use. It's pretty common that the new site won't let me select the date or number of passengers, so you're not alone with that kind of problem.

• Devil's Advocate likes this

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,309 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Hmm. Wonder why...

Snowbirds.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#19 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

But why do snowbirds need a roundtrip discount any more than a regular vacationer? If anything, someone just on a vacation is likely to need a bit more of an incentive to take the train both ways.

Edited by cpotisch, 19 May 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#20 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,309 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Snowbirds book one way, but are willing to pay more, hence no discount.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users