Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Safety around Amtrak stations (traveling by wheelchair from station)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ambey

Ambey

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I am disabled and will soon be travelling by wheel chair to hotels near stations in L. A. and Chicago. Is it safe for someone in a wheelchair to do so?

#2 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,999 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:47 AM

I am disabled and will soon be travelling by wheel chair to hotels near stations in L. A. and Chicago. Is it safe for someone in a wheelchair to do so?

You didn't mention which specific hotels or stations but I didn't find the areas immediately surrounding CHI/CUS or LAX/LAUS to look or feel dangerous to me.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 16 May 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#3 Ambey

Ambey

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Hi it's the metro plaza near LAX and crowne plaza near CHI. Any info? Thanks

#4 amtrakpass

amtrakpass

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Yeah they both should be safe for someone in a wheelchair in my view. Your Chicago Hotel is in Greek Town next to a Marianos grocery store and just a few blocks from all the fancy restaurants along Randolph st in the West Loop. You could also take the west bound 126 bus from canal and adams next to Union station to Halsted and adams and go from there. The bus should be accessible.

#5 amtrakpass

amtrakpass

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

also the city of Chicago has a wheelchair accessible taxi dispatch service called open taxis. That might be easiest.
http://www.opentaxis.com/

#6 Ambey

Ambey

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Thank you, will check it out.

#7 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:33 PM

I have stayed at the Metro Plaza in L.A. and felt no worries about the area at all.

Ed.

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,352 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

The Metro Plaza is a short 2+ blocks from Union Station. You can see the sign from the front door.

I use a cane, and feel comfortable doing so even rolling a bag. The last time I was in LA, due to a very late CS I did not arrive until 1 am. The walk did not bother me.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#9 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

The Metro Plaza is a short 2+ blocks from Union Station. You can see the sign from the front door.

I use a cane, and feel comfortable doing so even rolling a bag. The last time I was in LA, due to a very late CS I did not arrive until 1 am. The walk did not bother me.

I have been very comfortable around LAX Union Station during the day, however, right across the street is an encampment of the homeless which swells as it becomes dark so I am not sure that I would be so comfortable as it gets later in the day.

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,457 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

Stay on the Union Station side of the Street on the way to the Metro Plaza and Philippe, and cross by the upscale Condos next to Union Station, and you should have no problem.
  • JRR and cpotisch like this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

I have walk to the Crowne Plaza several times with bags. No security issues or even question of security. The entrance is on the north side. Not sure if your bags and you travel well, but easy enough to do.

#12 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, baking, trivia, adventures, historic preservation

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:29 PM

As amtrakpass mentioned, your Chicago hotel is in Greektown. It's a nice area. I've walked around there many times. :)

If you like Greek food, I recommend either Greek Islands or Rodity's. They're both located about one block south of your hotel, on Halsted.

• dogbert617 and cpotisch like this
Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#13 Ambey

Ambey

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

As amtrakpass mentioned, your Chicago hotel is in Greektown. It's a nice area. I've walked around there many times. :)

If you like Greek food, I recommend either Greek Islands or Rodity's. They're both located about one block south of your hotel, on Halsted.
Thank you all for very helpful comments. It's put my mind at ease. All I need now is for Amtrak to perform....... Cheers from the U.K..

#14 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:27 AM

I love Greek Islands! Never been to Rodity's, but maybe I'll try that restaurant someday.

#15 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

LA and Chicago: yes.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users