Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Acela sets interior refresh 2018-19

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

Sometimes there is nobody that will make certain parts at any reasonable price. As an example, the R-22 refrigeration for the AC gets more and more scarce and difficult to source. There are many other things that not going to be easily obtained.

#42 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

Sometimes there is nobody that will make certain parts at any reasonable price. As an example, the R-22 refrigeration for the AC gets more and more scarce and difficult to source. There are many other things that not going to be easily obtained.

Bad example. R-22 is outlawed, the replacement is cheaper and easy to replace. That said someone is making R-22 again, and its getting release, causing damage again. When the world community outlaw R-22 the industry was up in arms say it would be impossible to find a replacement. They found one, cheaper and environmental friendly.
  • Devil's Advocate likes this

#43 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:47 AM

Depends on the system. Some really old stuff (like the Amfleets) don't take to change that well)

Edited by PVD, 31 July 2018 - 06:48 AM.

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,515 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

Weren't the AC units converted to non-Freon? I seem to recall a conversation at the Wilmington Shops when they were doing the conversion. The place was covered with new AC compressor/condensers which were being installed as cars came through for servicing.

#45 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:22 AM

If a piece of equipment is expensive enough, someone will occupy the niche of fixing it so the equipment owner doesn't need to replace it immediately. For example, one of our family businesses is repairing electronic components of industrial equiprment, which often involves hunting down spare parts in Asia. 

HOWEVER, most niche businesses of this sort are too small to deal with the bureaucratic hurdles presented to vendors by government entities or companies as large as Amtrak. Taking our example again, our customers are mostly smallish to medium-sized machine shops. Really large manufacturers have either in-house staff keeping older machines going, and/or newer machines.

So it's possible that Amtrak doesn't have any good options for repairing things for which spare parts are no longer provided by the things' manufacturer. I doubt Amtrak has a crack team who can improvise repairs like this. 

Edited by tricia, 31 July 2018 - 08:17 AM.

#46 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:39 AM

If the cars have already been converted, that would certainly eliminate what I mentioned as an issue. 

#47 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

So it's possible that Amtrak doesn't have any good options for repairing things for which spare parts are no longer provided by the things' manufacturer. I doubt Amtrak has a crack team who can improvise repairs like this. 

If Amtrak lacked such a team, you wouldn't see a great deal of equipment that is currently operating (or operated in the recent past) on the road.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#48 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,533 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

If a piece of equipment is expensive enough, someone will occupy the niche of fixing it so the equipment owner doesn't need to replace it immediately. For example, one of our family businesses is repairing electronic components of industrial equiprment, which often involves hunting down spare parts in Asia. 

HOWEVER, most niche businesses of this sort are too small to deal with the bureaucratic hurdles presented to vendors by government entities or companies as large as Amtrak. Taking our example again, our customers are mostly smallish to medium-sized machine shops. Really large manufacturers have either in-house staff keeping older machines going, and/or newer machines.

Maybe they should 'import' some mechanic's from Cuba....they sure seem to have the knack of making parts for old 'American Iron'.... :P

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,515 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:09 AM

The key is good cost effective options for keeping many hundred cars going. Anyone can keep a few cars going if there is willingness to throw any amount of money and volunteer labor at it as it takes.
  • tricia and PVD like this

#50 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

A quick update on the refresh on the Acela Trainsets...

I found a video on YouTube of what the cars looks like now. The author of the video states that Trainsets 4, 5, 11, and 12 are complete. He believes that Trainset 8 is currently undergoing the overhaul. (List of Trainsets will be posted at the bottom of the post for reference) This video appears to be from the 21st of the Month.. So it's fairly recent. So it's looking like almost 25% of the trainsets are close to being done. 

I'm ok with the Dark Blue in First Class, but the Dark Dark Gray in Business Class isn't hitting home with me. I was a fan of the Blue and Gray seats. 

http://on-track-on-l...-acelaexp.shtml

I honestly like the new look. I think it just looks pretty clean and modern - a lot less dated and even rundown than before. Let's just say that I think it's a really fresh and contemporary color scheme.  ;)

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#51 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

Is this a complete refurbishment of the original interiors or have they been already refurbished once ?   Either way it would now seem that these trains sets will outlive the compllete introduction of Acela-2s ?  Food for thought ?  ?

They've already been refurbished a few times. That's mentioned earlier in this thread.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#52 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:29 AM

Materials from the existing Acela cushions and covers will be reused, recycled and turned into carpet padding, while the leather will be recycled and converted into handbags, wallets and other consumer goods.

I'm sorry, but that just seems cheap. Like pathetically cheap. Oh yeah, I really want to buy a handbag made out of old Acela seats. 

I live in Indy and before our current stadium (Lucas Oil Stadium) was opened, they had to implode the old stadium (technically it was the RCA Dome, but many of us continued to call it the Hoosier Dome). The fabric from the roof was made into purses, wallets, journal covers, etc. I bought one. There were a lot of Indy folks who did.

If they can both make money and recycle, that sounds like a brilliant idea.

Fair enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users