Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Acela sets interior refresh 2018-19

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,168 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

At least this will keep the interiors fresh until the Acela IIs show up in about three years. But this opens up the age old question, whats going to happen to the first gen Acelas in about three years. Do you redo interiors only to mothball them in three to four years time.?

The article already answers this.

All trainsets in the current fleet will be retired in early 2022.

So Amtrak is spending $4 million for something that will only last 3-4 years? Seems like a poor use of funds to me.

Aren't the current interiors the ones that came with the Acelas? 

The current ones are original (though they might have done some minor touch ups here and there).

As to it being a poor use of funds: If the car interiors are really becoming rundown or dated and seem unbecoming of a "flagship service," I would say a total overhaul and refurbishment is justifiable, even if it'll only be relevant for the next few years. I would say this was long overdue, but was most likely prohibited by poor funding and oversight. So while it might have been more worth it to do it years ago, you can't change the past, and doing so at this point is still better than not doing it at all.

Not so. The Acela interiors have been upgraded at least once, including changing the seats from the original cloth to leather.

#22 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

So Amtrak is spending $4 million for something that will only last 3-4 years? Seems like a poor use of funds to me.

The current ones are original (though they might have done some minor touch ups here and there).

As to it being a poor use of funds: If the car interiors are really becoming rundown or dated and seem unbecoming of a "flagship service," I would say a total overhaul and refurbishment is justifiable, even if it'll only be relevant for the next few years. I would say this was long overdue, but was most likely prohibited by poor funding and oversight. So while it might have been more worth it to do it years ago, you can't change the past, and doing so at this point is still better than not doing it at all.

Not so. The Acela interiors have been upgraded at least once, including changing the seats from the original cloth to leather.

The Acela interiors were overhauled three times. This will make the fourth . As Cpotisch mentioned, the interiors are starting to wear and it hardly justifies the price it commands as a premium service.

Additionally, the 3-4 years is a lot of usage for these trains. What if the new sets aren't ready by 2022 as predicted? If they stop maintaining and overhauling them now, it may become painful later. One only needs to look to the Heritage dining car fleet to see what happens if you count your cars before they arrive.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 17 May 2018 - 07:52 AM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#23 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:47 AM

I basically presume we won't see the last of the existing Acelas until 2023.  This isn't to speak ill of the new sets, but I presume something will delay the project.

• cpotisch likes this

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#24 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Is there any reason the acela equipment could not be moved to the keystone service? Is there maintenance facility in sunnyside?

Another interesting idea is to use them for harrisburg Washington trips and harrisburg Boston trips.

#25 sitzplatz17

sitzplatz17

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Did a human build it? Does it move? Then I like it!!
    Trains, Planes, Automobiles, Ships, Bicycles, etc.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

At least this will keep the interiors fresh until the Acela IIs show up in about three years. But this opens up the age old question, whats going to happen to the first gen Acelas in about three years. Do you redo interiors only to mothball them in three to four years time.?

The article already answers this.

All trainsets in the current fleet will be retired in early 2022.

I stand (well, sitting at the moment), corrected!

I guess it just feels like the interiors are original. 

Thanks for the feedback all.

Amtrak Routes I've ridden: Acela Service (4x), Adirondack, Auto Train (9x), California Zephyr (3x), Capitol Limited (4x), Cardinal, Cascades Service (2x), Coast Starlight, Crescent (2x), Downeaster, Empire Builder, Hiawatha Service, Lake Shore Limited, Lincoln Service (2x), Missouri River Runner, Northeast Regional (20x+), Pacific Surfliner (10x), Palmetto, Silver Meteor (2x), Silver Star, Southwest Chief (2x), Sunset Limited (ORL - NOL in '01), and the Texas Eagle.

Travelin' Amtrak since '93

#26 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Is there any reason the acela equipment could not be moved to the keystone service? Is there maintenance facility in sunnyside?

Another interesting idea is to use them for harrisburg Washington trips and harrisburg Boston trips.

The Acela sets don't have trap doors like the Amfleets do, so they can only serve high-level platforms.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#27 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

The Acela sets don't have trap doors like the Amfleets do, so they can only serve high-level platforms.

Oh I forgot about that. But they could work for express service that stops at high level stations only before continuing to Boston or Washington.

#28 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

Oh I forgot about that. But they could work for express service that stops at high level stations only before continuing to Boston or Washington.

The main reason reason the Acela sets will get benched ASAP is the same reason they had to bench equipment like the AEM-7s, HHP-8s and Heritage Fleet.  They are old and finding parts for them is a challenge. A lot of the companies that made parts for the Acela sets and HHP-8s are no longer in business. This makes them expensive to maintain.

I don't expect the ACS-64s to make it much past  the 20 year service mark for the same reason.

• frequentflyer and cpotisch like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#29 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

Thank you third rail. I didn’t think about the shortage of parts and they are now obsolete.

#30 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:24 PM

For what it’s worth. Yesterday Amtrak posted on their Instagram “story” (which is similar to Snapchat) photos of the new interiors. BC seats are a dark gray and FC a Deep Blue. Seats look more comfortable as well.
  • Triley, acelafan and daybeers like this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#31 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:09 AM

A quick update on the refresh on the Acela Trainsets...

I found a video on YouTube of what the cars looks like now. The author of the video states that Trainsets 4, 5, 11, and 12 are complete. He believes that Trainset 8 is currently undergoing the overhaul. (List of Trainsets will be posted at the bottom of the post for reference) This video appears to be from the 21st of the Month.. So it's fairly recent. So it's looking like almost 25% of the trainsets are close to being done. 

I'm ok with the Dark Blue in First Class, but the Dark Dark Gray in Business Class isn't hitting home with me. I was a fan of the Blue and Gray seats. 

http://on-track-on-l...-acelaexp.shtml

Edited by Acela150, 29 July 2018 - 05:10 AM.

• daybeers likes this

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#32 tonijustine

tonijustine

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

Materials from the existing Acela cushions and covers will be reused, recycled and turned into carpet padding, while the leather will be recycled and converted into handbags, wallets and other consumer goods.

I'm sorry, but that just seems cheap. Like pathetically cheap. Oh yeah, I really want to buy a handbag made out of old Acela seats. 

I live in Indy and before our current stadium (Lucas Oil Stadium) was opened, they had to implode the old stadium (technically it was the RCA Dome, but many of us continued to call it the Hoosier Dome). The fabric from the roof was made into purses, wallets, journal covers, etc. I bought one. There were a lot of Indy folks who did.

If they can both make money and recycle, that sounds like a brilliant idea.
  • Triley, AmtrakBlue, daybeers and 1 other like this

#33 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:06 PM

Is this a complete refurbishment of the original interiors or have they been already refurbished once ?   Either way it would now seem that these trains sets will outlive the compllete introduction of Acela-2s ?  Food for thought ?  ?

#34 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

from the memo:

The Acela Express refresh is a 14-month program for all of its 20 trainsets, which includes 100 Amtrak cars and 6,080 total seats.  Each trainset will be refreshed individually with new cushions and covers for all business class and first-class seats, new carpet for the aisle runner and a deep clean. The total investment is valued at more than $4 million.

#35 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,168 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Is this a complete refurbishment of the original interiors or have they been already refurbished once ?   Either way it would now seem that these trains sets will outlive the compllete introduction of Acela-2s ?  Food for thought ?  ?

Post #22 above cites this as the fourth refurbishment of the Acela sets.  it's intended to bridge the next few years until the new sets are delivered.

#36 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:57 PM

The refresh on the Amfleet1s really makes the cars more pleasant to ride in. If this accomplishes the same thing it is not a terribly large amount of money, particularly where spending some of it would be required anyway.

• Triley and daybeers like this

#37 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

This refresh is actually the third different interior that the trainsets have had. The original interior was cloth. About 10 years ago Amtrak changed the interior to leather. And it started with the First Class Cars and then onto Business Class.

The refresh on the Amfleet1s really makes the cars more pleasant to ride in. If this accomplishes the same thing it is not a terribly large amount of money, particularly where spending some of it would be required anyway.

I do prefer the new seats. The seats in Business Class are much more comfortable then the older seats. And oddly enough I prefer the older coach seats to the new. YMMV.

#38 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

The main reason reason the Acela sets will get benched ASAP is the same reason they had to bench equipment like the AEM-7s, HHP-8s and Heritage Fleet.  They are old and finding parts for them is a challenge. A lot of the companies that made parts for the Acela sets and HHP-8s are no longer in business. This makes them expensive to maintain.

I don't expect the ACS-64s to make it much past  the 20 year service mark for the same reason.

The same reason I expect the Amfleet Is and 2s be retired as soon as possible when their replacements become available.

Edited by frequentflyer, 30 July 2018 - 12:14 PM.

#39 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:15 PM

Couple of things. I did like the old fabric coach seats, but so many had worn out cushions that you were pretty much obligated to pull off all the covers anyway. It made more sense just to put on new covers at that time, than piecemeal replacement of the really bad ones, and deep cleaning of the others. Probably much faster than looking at each sear separately. Sometimes, even when a unit may be working, it can become impossible to source parts, since manufacturers can no longer obtain components needed to make something. I worked on high end telecommunications equipment where certain systems became functionally obsolete because the manufacturers could no longer source items. streaming tape drives in certain sizes, 8 inch and then 5 inch floppies, 8 bit processors, lots of other stuff...They would stop selling certain cards and modules used for service and expansion, even though they were big money makers. If a customer was forced to buy new instead of expanding existing, you had the potential of them buying from someone else.

#40 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:54 PM

The same reason I expect the Amfleet Is and 2s be retired as soon as possible when their replacements become available.

I don't know about that...

The Amfleet cars are built extremely well, and like their Budd 'brother' heritage cars, could easily last another 30 years or more with minimal maintenance.   And since there are so many of them, it would 'pay' to keep necessary wear parts in production or inventory, and when the day comes to replace them with modern equipment, they should be placed in 'mothball' storage, just in case of another oil embargo or some other event that make having them available a good thing...just my humble opinion... :)

• Ziv likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users