Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline considering other routes outside Florida!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:45 PM

Besides NEC's problems are fundamentally political, even before you get anywhere near operations. There is nothing other than the Northeast politicians who can solve those primary problems, should they develop enough of a desire to do so.

#22 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

Mike, I think you're absolutely right--Brightline is untested, and of course we need to give it time and see if it works and how effectively.

If it does, though, my feeling is that others could jump on board and start their own routes. Since everything is about profit, obviously it would be real estate/condos/stores, with the train to connect them.

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Mike, I think you're absolutely right--Brightline is untested, and of course we need to give it time and see if it works and how effectively.

If it does, though, my feeling is that others could jump on board and start their own routes. Since everything is about profit, obviously it would be real estate/condos/stores, with the train to connect them.

Lest we forget, that is what IRT supposedly did in New York way back when. Except that they were never in a position to directly monetize their impact like many of the Japanese private subway and regional systems did.

• neroden likes this

#24 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

While Brightline is untested as a profit center. (I personally think, if they continue as planned, they will be profitable. But that's just a guess at this point).  They have already proven what is possible as a transit option in the USA. This is the first system built out like this in the USA. Modern stations, modern platforms, modern trains that travel at a continuously higher speed. While the ACELA doing 150 around Boston is great... it doesn't really matter if the Acela still has to do 35 in other places does it? When I rode Brightline we departed and ran at 70+ MPH the entire route.

This type of system would work in so many places throughout the USA. And I think giving both political leaders and the voting, general public a glimpse of what is possible could help get us more transit funded. 

• Mystic River Dragon likes this

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#25 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:18 PM

It would be nice to be able to get monthly ridership figures, and by class of service.

• Mystic River Dragon likes this

#26 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:55 PM

It would be nice to be able to get monthly ridership figures, and by class of service.

If the last release is anything to go by, we're getting them, just on a quarterly release schedule (e.g. we get three months at a go).

Edited by Anderson, 31 August 2018 - 04:55 PM.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#27 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,718 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:01 PM

I think they are required ti provide those quarterly reports for having used the Private Bond money. So it is likely that we will continue to get them in some for or the other.

#28 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:16 AM

When FECI and FECR were all one FEC with All Aboard Florida, the business model made sense. I think that the unwritten intention was to let Brightline be a loss leader of sorts. Even though I think they are planning on profitability, I think the intent was to boost their real estate portfolio and their commercial value. It's that model which led to most Japanese non-nationalized railroad systems. Then, after JNR privatized and became a bunch of JR groups, they too became much more about the full experience - from riding to hotels, to shopping, etc. JR even produces the electricity they run their trains on.

It's good that Brightline fell under FECI and not FECR. If it came under FECR, it would have been obligated to be self-sustaining which would have been extremely difficult. It really takes the whole package. At least with the current model, a financial success to the railroad portion isn't as important as its role in producing commercial profit.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users