Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline considering other routes outside Florida!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nti1094

nti1094

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

Interesting article:

http://www.floridatr...outside-florida

#2 Anthony V

Anthony V

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

In addition to the routes they mentioned in the article, they should consider running service on Ohio's 3C corridor, as it would fit the distance and population criteria they mentioned in that article perfectly. This route would've been very popular had KaSICK not rejected funding for it. This would essentially give the stalled proposal the second chance it deserves.

• Philly Amtrak Fan and JRR like this

#3 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:41 PM

I think the problem there is relstive market size.

That being said, depending on the cost situation I wonder if somr form of SEHSR might not drift onto their radar if they go for CLT-ATL.  CHI-MSP is a bit long, but I suspect there are some other segments that they might angle for out of CHI.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#4 AGM.12

AGM.12

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

Maybe this could be a scenario: If Fortress or Soft bank, whoever they call themselves, upon realizing the success of Brightline, invested considerable funds to buy a controlling interest in, say, CSX, this could open up a world of possibilities as to what routes to initiate service on. The only caveat is does Amtrak have a statutory monopoly on intercity passenger rail service?

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,522 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

Unless they drastically change their business model I'd look for short to medium length corridors with potential ridership that can support say 10 round trips per day at least and that has significant real estate opportunities at or close to the potential station locations. Anything else for now is beyond fantasy. I highly doubt they will get into the one/two round trips a day long distance market with their current business model.

BTW, the ownership chain goes Softbank - Fortress Group - FECI - AAF/Brightline. AFAIK the company is still AAF. Brightline is a DBA.

The other relevant ownership chain is Grupo Mexico - FECR.

And finally Florida Dispatching Company (FDC) is equally jointly owned by FECR and AAF, and is responsible for dispatching FECR and AAF rail routes.

Incidentally, FDC is another aspect of the business model to keep in mind. AAF will probably be reluctant to operate its service on a route where it does not have any dispatching control at all.

Taking all this together suggests to me that doing anything outside Florida is probably many years away, and is merely aspirational at present.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users