Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

New Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle Timetables

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

The termination end point in NW Houston is designed for parking by Houston residents, massive bus connections will be needed for points around the city.  In Dallas, people just need to walk past Reunion Arena to Union station to connect with everything (Heavy Rail, light rail, buses).

#22 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

My fantasy land proposal for a new daily train:

Eastbound departure from LA at around 10 am (just late enough to connect with the first SB Surfliner from Santa Barbara). Operates 12 hours earlier (or later) than the current Sunset Limited schedule to El Paso (apprx 4 am departure). At El Paso, the train heads to Fort Worth via Odessa/Midland and Abilene. Departs Fort Worth around 5 pm and replaces the Heartland Flyer to OKC. Continues north to Wichita and meets up with the Southwest Chief route at Newton and follows the SWC route to Chicago running about an hour off the current Chief (would probably make economic sense to combine the trains, but if we're already in fantasy land). The westbound train would be the reverse of that. Apprx 4 pm departure from Chicago, 8 am departure from OKC, midnight departure from El Paso, and a mid afternoon arrival in LA. 

I don't have any family in any of these areas, so the train makes no sense for me, but simply looking at a map you add daytime service between LA and Tuscon, somewhat decent hours between El Paso and Wichita (pre-dawn and midnight for the endpoints, but at least you get Odessa, Abilene, FTW, and OKC during the day...call it the Texas Palmetto), and a decent overnight service between Texas and Kansas City (if that's even a market). 

• Pere Flyer likes this

#23 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:08 PM

Here's a proposed schedule. El Paso to Fort Worth times are based off best guess of an average speed ~60 mph and some recovery time around the big cities. FTW to Newton based off the 2009 study and the 1979 timetable. 

Attached Files

#24 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

My fantasy land proposal for a new daily train:

Eastbound departure from LA at around 10 am (just late enough to connect with the first SB Surfliner from Santa Barbara). Operates 12 hours earlier (or later) than the current Sunset Limited schedule to El Paso (apprx 4 am departure). At El Paso, the train heads to Fort Worth via Odessa/Midland and Abilene. Departs Fort Worth around 5 pm and replaces the Heartland Flyer to OKC. Continues north to Wichita and meets up with the Southwest Chief route at Newton and follows the SWC route to Chicago running about an hour off the current Chief (would probably make economic sense to combine the trains, but if we're already in fantasy land). The westbound train would be the reverse of that. Apprx 4 pm departure from Chicago, 8 am departure from OKC, midnight departure from El Paso, and a mid afternoon arrival in LA. 

I don't have any family in any of these areas, so the train makes no sense for me, but simply looking at a map you add daytime service between LA and Tuscon, somewhat decent hours between El Paso and Wichita (pre-dawn and midnight for the endpoints, but at least you get Odessa, Abilene, FTW, and OKC during the day...call it the Texas Palmetto), and a decent overnight service between Texas and Kansas City (if that's even a market). 

I’m all for improving service to OKC, and your fantasy schedule would be worth the daytime service gained. Although I’d say your proposed schedule augments the HF rather than replaces it—I’d argue corridor service between OKC and FTW à la Midwest services is necessary as a stand-alone route.

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 21 (FTW, SAS); 22 (SAS, FTW, AUS, CHI)

SS Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | GLI | Jefferson Lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users