Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline and other stations before Orlando

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:59 PM

If Brightline can get people to wait on the right part of the platform, as for example the Japanese do succesfully, and all doors are used, station dwell times can be kept quite short. Add to this the good acceleration of trains, and maybe it  will be possible to insert additional stops without there being serious repercussions on end to end journey times. 

Brightline has Car, Door Position with list of seats closest to that door, marked on the platform.

The problem is training people on the train that are detraining to get ready by the door to disembark before the train gets to the station, rather than lethargically getting out of their seat and start looking for their children and baggage after the train has come to a stop at the station.

A station stop like in Fort Lauderdale which in any rail literate country/area would have a dwell time of one to two minutes at most, has a dwell time of 5 mins that is often not sufficient in the rail illiterate country/region like ours. Of course being in Florida does not help either. :D On the NEC people understand the importance of getting off as soon as the train stops, but not in South Florida yet.

To be fair, I think they're also accounting for a possibly higher share of ADA pax in the longer term (it is Florida, after all).

• Seaboard92 likes this

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#22 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:44 AM

I would love to see South Florida begin a "courtesy campaign" - not just for Brightline but for all trains and people movers in the area.

Encourage 1) Letting people off before boarding; 2) move to the center of the car when there is standing room only; 3) no loud noise, music, or phone conversations; etc.

Even in Japan, this may be common sense, but they still encourage it with posters and periodic announcements.
  • daybeers likes this

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#23 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:13 PM

I think this is not just a south Florida issue. 

• daybeers likes this

#24 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:42 PM

No, it isn't, but it is particularly relevant to Brightline in the context of their desired business model.

• daybeers likes this

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#25 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

Gotta start somewhere.
  • daybeers likes this

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users