Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Brightline and other stations before Orlando

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

Has Brightline ever said why (or does anyone know reasons why) Brightline would not establish other stations along the existing route towards Orlando even before the Orlando airport station is finished? It would seem that most of the work required for this to happen would not be wasted while the extension to Orlando is being built. I know they "have been in negotiations" with other cities per media reports.

Is it that it would take as long to upgrade as it would be to complete the extra track so it gains them nothing to try and open other stops early?

Are they waiting until unannounced negotiations with potential property sellers are finalized so they can simultaneously announce a station by the local property they bought?

Would it be they don't want to "take away the thunder" of the Orlando station?

It seems that for a lesser amount they could have income from the extension to a city along the current route - some place that would become an intermediate stop once the Orlando station is open.

#2 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

My suspicion is annual project cost containment. They want to keep their annual capital outflow and construction staffing below some threshold they are comfortable with.

It is also likely that they do not want to overcommit before they are sure that their business model actually works. You don’t want to have more things to pull the plug on than is absolutely necessary, should things not pan out. They are hard nosed businessmen, and I don’t think have any desire to be running a social charity project on their own dime should things come to that.

In Brevard most of the potential station site property is owned by FECI or FECR anyway.

Edited by jis, 12 May 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#3 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

There are also two other things to consider:

1) Traffic loads in that area probably won't support high frequency service on their own...and I don't see Brightline wanting to only run 2-3x daily trains up north.

2) Intermediate stations were not in the environmental studies, so there's been a fear of triggering fights and challenges if tgey change anything thanks to the litigious jerks in some of those counties.

Edit: Also, remember that adding service further up would require more trains to be delivered sooner.

Edited by Anderson, 13 May 2018 - 03:58 PM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users