Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Special locomotives on San Joanquin?

55 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Amtrak California has two Dash-8s I believe. Ive seen them on Capitol Corridor.

Yep, 2. They are a rare sight.

Don't know how many Dash-8s on the "coast" but, its not unusual to see a Dash-8 in the Coast Starlight consist behind a P-42.

Not unusual at all on the CS, but that route and operation is completely separate from AC.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#22 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys. I went railfanning today and caught #2051 pushing San Joaquin #715. I guess cab car #8303 was having some issues. Pretty awesome for me since I wanted a special locomotive.

#23 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

So did you just want a Phase III P42, or any uncommon loco?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#24 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Hey guys. I went railfanning today and caught #2051 pushing San Joaquin #715. I guess cab car #8303 was having some issues. Pretty awesome for me since I wanted a special locomotive.

Cool.  It's kind of random though.  The 704 of course originates in Sacramento, but the Dash-8s can be used anywhere on the San Joaquin or Capitol Corridor.

I remember one time I missed my stop and the conductor wrote a note asking the next conductor to let me ride back from Martinez.  It was on Capitol Corridor, but the first train that arrived in Martinez was a San Joaquin running Comet cars.  I remember the conductor manually pulling down the stairs.

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:57 PM

@bcl Amtrak #715 goes to Oakland Jack London, not Sacramento.

#26 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

If the dash-8 #2051 was on northbound San Joaquin #715, what southbound number San Joaquin would it be?

#27 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Does anyone know????

#28 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

Don't know how many Dash-8s on the "coast" but, its not unusual to see a Dash-8 in the Coast Starlight consist behind a P-42.

Not unusual at all on the CS, but that route and operation is completely separate from AC.

Yep, that is what I said!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#29 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

If #2051 is on northbound San Joaquin #715, what southbound San Joaquin would it be on?

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Yep, that is what I said!

My bad. Misunderstood.

#31 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

If the dash-8 #2051 was on northbound San Joaquin #715, what southbound number San Joaquin would it be?

No way of knowing really.  #715 terminates in Oakland at 6:05 PM.  There is no southbound San Joaquins service from Oakland past that, so I'd assume it would normally go to the Oakland maintenance yard and be reassigned in the morning.  The cars (other than baggage or Comets) could be reassigned to San Joaquins or Capitol Corridor.

San Joaquins has all these weird little trains like between Fresno and Sacramento, so it's kind of hard to keep straight where everything is going.

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

That's true. San Joaquin #710 is the first southbound of the day, and that consist is the commet cars. I'm guessing the next southbound would have #2051 on it because that is the first southbound with bi level coaches and when I caught #2051 on Sunday, it was pushing the bi level coaches.

#33 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Does anyone know where #2052 is??

#34 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Since the San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor run with such high frequency and such a short distance, it's pretty much random. So there's really no way to reliably know where the locos and consists will be even hours in advance.

#35 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

True. I will try and catch San Joaquin #712 this weekend because that is the next southbound after #710, and they use bi level coaches.

#36 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

#712 had a NPCU with the bi level coaches. Weird consist as well.

#37 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

#712 had a NPCU with the bi level coaches. Weird consist as well.

Cool! Since it seems like you want to document the cool locos you see, maybe consider becoming a member here. It's quick and easy, and you'll be able to post and contribute in more threads and topics. Just an idea...

Edited by cpotisch, 19 May 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#38 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

Thanks. I will think about it.

#39 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:32 PM

Hey all. I am still hoping for a special / rare locomotive on the San Joaquin. If anyone has any info on where any locomotive is, like an Amtrak California dash 8 or a special phase p42, then please post it in this chat.

#40 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

Being that it's a corridor train and now that there are enough California locomotives to cover it. I believe that you shouldn't really be seeing many P42s now which eliminates the heritage fleet from contention. And the few you might see out of two hundred locomotives. Very slim odds I'm sorry to say.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users