Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

First time on Acela, what can I expect? (meals in BC?)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:59 AM

I can't remember off the top of my head if you are allowed to use the Coupons with a Discount code. I don't think you can. But I didn't learn that much about coupon use. 

I thought the same thing so I called AGR and the agent said that paying the fare with a discount doesn’t apply and it’s only meant for the actual upgrade itself. I can’t upgrade until 12 hours before departure. Hope that’s true, I will find out soon enough.
FYI, I was able to use my upgrade coupons, so it’s first class for me!

Congrats! The more you drink the more you get your moneys worth. 

#22 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

I can't remember off the top of my head if you are allowed to use the Coupons with a Discount code. I don't think you can. But I didn't learn that much about coupon use. 

I thought the same thing so I called AGR and the agent said that paying the fare with a discount doesn’t apply and it’s only meant for the actual upgrade itself. I can’t upgrade until 12 hours before departure. Hope that’s true, I will find out soon enough.
FYI, I was able to use my upgrade coupons, so it’s first class for me!

Those don't work for sleepers, right? In which case I feel like you got pretty much the best possible use out of them!

Edited by cpotisch, 12 May 2018 - 09:02 AM.

• Allypet likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#23 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Correct.
  • cpotisch likes this
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#24 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

Business Class (which as was mentioned, is 100% just coach) does not get any complimentary meals or beverages. However, I've found that the snacks available in the "Bistro" car are very good, and definitely preferable to the selection found on the NER and other similar trains. For $500, I definitely would not say that First Class is not worth it. You get complimentary meals and booze, access to the ClubAcela lounges, and a bit more space, but that up charge is completely ridiculous. Spend that money on an overnight sleeper, not Acela First.

The vast majority of the food on the Acela cafe is the same as the Regional...except more expensive.

I also believe that the $500 to upgrade is for both passengers, roundtrip, so $125/person each way. Not as bad when you think about it. But it doesn't matter because they have enough points for upgrade vouchers

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#25 Triley

Triley

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

You do have access to the Food Service Car (Cafe Acela) which sells some reasonable food (at least for me). YMMV. Here is a link to the menu:

https://www.amtrak.c...e-Menu-0617.pdf

Is there some rule or pattern, to figure out a head of time, if your on "cycle 1" or "cycle 2" of the rotating menus choices?
It changes every three weeks, but without knowing when the new menu cycle starts you would have no way of calculating it out.

What's your travel dates? I can take a look and let you know.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you said this weekend. Menu cycle is 2.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Triley, 15 May 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• Ryan, Allypet and cpotisch like this

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users