Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

First time on Acela, what can I expect? (meals in BC?)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:01 PM

This weekend my wife and I have to run down to Baltimore for a family function. Since we have pet issues we have to do the trip same day. Instead of driving we decided to try the Acela for the first time. I booked business class because of the NARP (RPA) discount but was not sure if first class was worth the over 500.00 for the upgrade. Also do they sell anything resembling a meal like first class gets, or should we pack something to eat?

Edited by Allypet, 10 May 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#2 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Business Class on Acela does not get any free food and beverages. It's called BC but in reality it is coach. Business Class on Acela is the lowest service class.

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

You do have access to the Food Service Car (Cafe Acela) which sells some reasonable food (at least for me). YMMV. Here is a link to the menu:

https://www.amtrak.c...e-Menu-0617.pdf

Edited by jis, 10 May 2018 - 01:23 PM.

• Allypet likes this

#4 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

You do have access to the Food Service Car (Cafe Acela) which sells some reasonable food (at least for me). YMMV. Here is a link to the menu:

Thanks for the menu. I just noticed I had enough AGR points that I used for 4 upgrade coupons. We should be now traveling first class both ways.

#5 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,441 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

I can't remember off the top of my head if you are allowed to use the Coupons with a Discount code. I don't think you can. But I didn't learn that much about coupon use. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#6 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

I can't remember off the top of my head if you are allowed to use the Coupons with a Discount code. I don't think you can. But I didn't learn that much about coupon use. 

I thought the same thing so I called AGR and the agent said that paying the fare with a discount doesn’t apply and it’s only meant for the actual upgrade itself. I can’t upgrade until 12 hours before departure. Hope that’s true, I will find out soon enough.

Edited by Allypet, 10 May 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

Business Class (which as was mentioned, is 100% just coach) does not get any complimentary meals or beverages. However, I've found that the snacks available in the "Bistro" car are very good, and definitely preferable to the selection found on the NER and other similar trains. For $500, I definitely would not say that First Class is not worth it. You get complimentary meals and booze, access to the ClubAcela lounges, and a bit more space, but that up charge is completely ridiculous. Spend that money on an overnight sleeper, not Acela First.

• Devil's Advocate likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

If food is your thing, just imagine how many dinners you could have at Morton's or the Chart House for $500! ;)

• Palmetto likes this

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

If food is your thing, just imagine how many dinners you could have at Morton's or the Chart House for $500! ;)

For $500, one person could EASILY enjoy dinner at a three star restaurant.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

Depending on where you start and your interest level, unlimited free booze for 13 hours (on top of 8 meals) can tip the scales on "is it worth it".
  • Triley likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#11 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

Depending on where you start and your interest level, unlimited free booze for 13 hours (on top of 8 meals) can tip the scales on "is it worth it".

13 hours? 8 meals? Where'd you get that from?

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

Round trip on Acela First Class BOS - WAS - BOS two people, is my somewhat educated guess.

• Triley and cpotisch like this

#13 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

Close, BOS-BAL. Don't know where the OP lives, but he said he was going to BAL.

6.5 hours one way. 2 people X two meals X 2 directions.

Edited by Ryan, 11 May 2018 - 01:32 PM.

• Triley and cpotisch like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#14 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

I’m going from NYP to Baltimore and back. Only 5 hours total.

#15 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:40 PM

I’m going from NYP to Baltimore and back. Only 5 hours total.

That also cuts it down to just 4 meals from the hypothetical 8 that Ryan was thinking of.

#16 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,385 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Indeed. That $500 looks a lot less worth it. Good use of an upgrade if you get it, though. It also gives you Club Acela access in New York.
  • Allypet and cpotisch like this
Posted Image

#17 Walt

Walt

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Is there some rule or pattern, to figure out a head of time, if your on "cycle 1" or "cycle 2" of the rotating menus choices?

#18 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,207 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

If there is I have not figured it out. Maybe someone else has.

#19 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Go to the "Member Trips" thread. Look for any upcoming trips on Acela. Ask he/she to check the "cycle number" when they're onboard. That's the best method I can come up with.

#20 Allypet

Allypet

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

I thought the same thing so I called AGR and the agent said that paying the fare with a discount doesn’t apply and it’s only meant for the actual upgrade itself. I can’t upgrade until 12 hours before departure. Hope that’s true, I will find out soon enough.
FYI, I was able to use my upgrade coupons, so it’s first class for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users