Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Penalty for a reservation change

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TEREB

TEREB

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

We're due to be on Train 98 on Thursday, the 17th. We booked a bedroom paid with the Amtrak BOA world card.
I find that we have to postpone this trip for about 2 weeks.
What kind of penalty can I expect, or is there a way I can word my request to modify my ticket to incur a lesser penalty, or possibly no penalty?
Reservation agent didn't inform me of any penalty at the time of booking.
If it makes any difference, I was Select Plus when I made this reservation under Double Days, (which I know I'll lose), now I'm select.

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,175 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

You will get 75% of what you paid for this room back in the form of a voucher that you can use to defray the cost of your rescheduled trip.

Method of payment and AGR status are not relevant.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 TEREB

TEREB

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:54 PM

Wow, thats a heavy penalty. But thanks for responding

#4 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

If the cost of the new reservation is more than what you originally paid, they may apply the full amount of your previous payment towards your "modified" trip.  Talk to an agent and explain you want to modify your reservation.

It may make a difference if you made your reservation before the new cancellation rules went into effect.  

• TEREB likes this

Amtrak miles: 233,112; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#5 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

Here is what Amtrak.com says:

"

Changing Reservations on Amtrak.com

If you booked online at Amtrak.com, you can easily change your reservation online

• If you made your reservation while logged into your Amtrak.com account, simply log into your account to begin the modification process.
  • If you made your reservation on Amtrak.com as a guest, you'll need your reservation number and the e-mail address or telephone number used while making the reservation to make changes.
If you do not see the change button, your reservation may not be changed through the app.

Amtrak does not charge a ticket change fee, but please note that other fees may apply. Policies regarding ticket changes vary; limitations and exclusions apply.

• TEREB likes this

#6 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

You will get 75% of what you paid for this room back in the form of a voucher that you can use to defray the cost of your rescheduled trip.

Method of payment and AGR status are not relevant.

While you're right.. This is a case of just modify the reservation and pay the difference. ;) 

Although I'll be honest Charging 25% even to take the voucher is IMO down right stupid. That was the main reason to take the eVoucher. It gave you your entire fare back. And at the Call Center they really want you to get people to use vouchers. But not no more.. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

If you modify the ticket, there shouldn't be any fee. I've never gotten a fee when I've modified sleepers...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#8 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

If you modify the ticket, there shouldn't be any fee. I've never gotten a fee when I've modified sleepers...

But if you change travel dates it’s possible.
  • Walt likes this

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#9 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

But if you change travel dates it’s possible.

I don't think there's supposed to be...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#10 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

It’s all on the availability of the train. I’ve even been able to give people money back in some cases.

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Modifying the dates of travel is not canceling the ticket. You should be able to maintain the same reservation number. The only cost would be if the same trip was a higher bucket thus you would pay the difference. Amtrak specifically says you can change the date of any reservation including Super Saver with no change fee. Availability and current pricing can change your total fare.
  • cpotisch likes this

#12 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

Modifying the dates of travel is not canceling the ticket. You should be able to maintain the same reservation number. The only cost would be if the same trip was a higher bucket thus you would pay the difference. Amtrak specifically says you can change the date of any reservation including Super Saver with no change fee. Availability and current pricing can change your total fare.

Isn't there still a time limit? Possibly a week prior to departure?

I recently changed a sleeper reservation date. The price was the same and there was no fee.  But this was done a month before departure.

#13 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

Isn't there still a time limit? Possibly a week prior to departure?

I recently changed a sleeper reservation date. The price was the same and there was no fee.  But this was done a month before departure.

I think it's up to a day before.

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,536 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

I had to basically fly back instead of taking Sleeper on the Meteor on the way back from the RPA Meeting due to a family emergency. I just changed the Meteor reservation date to the return date from the AU Gathering. This was done one day before the scheduled departure of the original trip. It did not cost me anything.

Edited by jis, 13 May 2018 - 06:44 PM.

#15 TEREB

TEREB

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Just an update.  I just got off the phone with Amtrak and asked to modify my reservation (less than 24 hours away).  I was able to get the same fare 4 weeks from now without any additional charges.  She told me since the fare was the same, it was an even exchange.

Thanks all for your responses.  

• jis, Ryan, Lonestar648 and 2 others like this

#16 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the update!

• cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic