Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Best Airport Amtrak Station connection?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:43 AM

I'm not sure how far the MSP wheelchair/golf cart will go, but if they'll bring you to the bus stop or close to it, the rest of the journey should be doable. I've never measured it, but the 54 bus stops closer than the light rail to the ticket counter, and it should be a relatively easy walk with escalators/elevators available as needed.

The walk from the security exit to either the light rail or bus stop is more than 200 feet, though, and it'd probably be more than 200 feet from security checkpoint/security exit to the gate as well. (Although if you need something that has less than 200' of walking inside the terminal, the only ones would maybe be the very small airports with just one or two gates. Any airport with more than a couple of gates would require more than 200' of walking unless you ask for wheelchair assistance.)

• cpotisch likes this

#42 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

The larger airports will have Skycaps to wheel you to the curb, picking up your bags at the carousel. The more I think about this, the easiest on the person with limited mobility is wheeled to the curb for a taxi to take to the next curb and wheeled from there using "Caps" at either end. If 200 feet is the walking limit, then the energy to make all the changes has to be a consideration, plus the stress of doing it. It may cost more, but the ease of doing it and being more relaxed and less exhausted is most important, at least to me when I am transporting limited mobility family and friends.

#43 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

LAX sounds like the best for you. FlyAway picks up in front of every terminal. Least amount of walk between the gate and your transport. It will drop you off at the East Portal of Union Station. Also LAX not being a fortress hub to any one or two airlines makes ticket prices generally cheaper.

#44 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Although the 200' limitations puts a damper on almost any possibilities, one that has not been mentioned is SFO to San Jose via BART and Caltrain and then connect to Amtrak Coast Starlight or Capitol Corridor there.

It was mentioned on Page 1.

San Francisco airport has a BART station, and you can do the same go to Oakland or Richmond. Or take BART (either via San Bruno or direct) to Millbrae, connect to Caltrain, and hook up with the Starlight or Capitol Corridor in San Jose.

<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#45 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

200 feet really is not much at all. If the OP really can't pull that off, the airport will almost certainly have to provide a wheelchair. Public transit will also be near impossible. I could be wrong, but I think a cab is pretty much the only realistic option here.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#46 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Cab plus Red and Sky caps is my advice for curb to curb, plane to train or vice-versa.
  • cpotisch likes this

#47 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

Milwaukee has a station at the airport served by the Hiawatha and METRA.

Metra doesnt go anywhere near Milwaukee (airport or otherwise).

ONLY the Amtrak Hiawatha(Chicago-Milwaukee) stops at Milwaukee-Mitchell Airport. Metra does NOT stop atthat airport, and the furthest north the Union Pacific North line runs to is Kenosha, WI. Which is well south of that airport.

Why not Chicago?

How easy is it to get from airport & station? Never did it. Also I have walking issues more than 200 feet (circulation)!

The shortest train to airport connection in Chicago after arriving at Union Station(or catching an Amtrak train going out of Union Station), would be taking the Orange Line 'L(subway) to/from Midway Airport. There is a long walkway to/from that station, but there are elevators you can take in lieu of the stairs/escalator if you don't want to go up either of those within the Midway 'L station, and ditto with the walkway connecting the 'L station to Midway Airport. Not sure how far one could get handicapped wheelchairs to take them some of the distance to the 'L station, but you probably could borrow one to go a good bit of that distance into the airport.

Another one that I'm not sure has been mentioned in this thread, is that in Saint Louis one could take Metrolink(light rail) from a stop outside of Saint Louis' Amtrak station straight to Lambert Airport. I know there aren't as many flights out of there as other airports(i.e. O'Hare, Midway), but it is an option. And for commuter rail, one could take the South Shore Line all the way from Millennium Station(aka Randolph Street years ago) to South Bend Airport, in South Bend, IN.

• cpotisch likes this

#48 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:35 AM

I've done the NOL airport/station connection & found it to be a long cab ride. I forgot to mention ABQ, but  it's a nice connection where a hotel isn't necessary!

I believe that there's a bus direct from MSY to Union Passenger Terminal (NOL).

I'm given to believe that the easiest connection between air transport and Amtrak is at Newark (EWR). Baltimore (BWI) also gets high marks.

#49 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Yeah for major airport Newark Liberty is it for connection to main line passenger railroad. Actually, Miami is not bad either though only to Commuter Railroad. But you can do a same platform transfer from the TrRail Commuter Service to Amtrak Silver Service at Hollywood station. There are smaller airports that do have better connection than Newark.

Edited by jis, 13 May 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#50 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

I know it was mentioned, but OAC officially stands for Oakland Coliseum/Airport.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/oac

But is is a walk to the BART station to take the airport connector up the ramp or on the street. Theres also a bus thats cheaper.

#51 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

I've done the NOL airport/station connection & found it to be a long cab ride. I forgot to mention ABQ, but  it's a nice connection where a hotel isn't necessary!

I'm given to believe that the easiest connection between air transport and Amtrak is at Newark (EWR). Baltimore (BWI) also gets high marks.

For those who keep bringing up the east coast airports/train stations, I believe the OP wants to skip riding the east coast trains because he's "been there, done that" many times and is tired of the scenery.  He wants to start the train travel somewhere between the mid-west and west coast.

• tricia likes this

#52 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

For those who keep bringing up the east coast airports/train stations, I believe the OP wants to skip riding the east coast trains because he's "been there, done that" many times and is tired of the scenery.  He wants to start the train travel somewhere between the mid-west and west coast.
That is what the OP asked for, but especially given the general thread title, others may find this thread and consider the information for the east coast airports useful.
  • cpotisch likes this
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#53 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Yeah for major airport Newark Liberty is it for connection to main line passenger railroad. Actually, Miami is not bad either though only to Commuter Railroad. But you can do a same platform transfer from the TrRail Commuter Service to Amtrak Silver Service at Hollywood station. There are smaller airports that do have better connection than Newark.

FLL has a shuttle to Tri Rail. You can catch the Silver Service trains from there, Hollywood, Deerfield, Delray or West Palm Beach.

#54 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

FLL has a shuttle to Tri Rail. You can catch the Silver Service trains from there, Hollywood, Deerfield, Delray or West Palm Beach.
The shuffle goes to the airport Tri-Rail station, which is one stop south of the primary Fort Lauderdale station where Amtrak stops.

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

The shuffle goes to the airport Tri-Rail station, which is one stop south of the primary Fort Lauderdale station where Amtrak stops.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but was not sure.

So Miami has Aiport APM to MIC then Tri Rail to Holly wood to catch Amtrak.

Fort Lauderdale has bus shuttle to FLL Airport station and then Tri Rail from there to Fort Lauderdale Amtrak to catch Amtrak.

#56 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Thanks.

I wasn’t sure of that. So you take the tri rail to Hollywood, Deerfield, Delray or Erst Palm.

West Palm is the first Station with baggage service. Deerfield is staffed but no baggage service. Don’t know about Hollywood but Delray is unstaffed.

#57 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

:blush:  :wacko:  :unsure:, I better stay over here on the West Coast,  :hi:

Edited by Rail Freak, 14 May 2018 - 03:43 PM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#58 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,776 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Slightly off-topic, but Anchorage's international airport has a "seasonal" ARR station connected right to the passenger terminal.   They run chartered cruise ship trains directly from there to Whittier or Seward, or up to Denali NP.... :cool:  

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#59 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Thanks.

I wasnt sure of that. So you take the tri rail to Hollywood, Deerfield, Delray or Erst Palm.

West Palm is the first Station with baggage service. Deerfield is staffed but no baggage service. Dont know about Hollywood but Delray is unstaffed.
Actually Fort Lauderdale is the first Amtrak station north of the Airport station and it has baggage service. Hollywood, meanwhile, is south of the Airport station in the direction of Miami.
  • cpotisch likes this

#60 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:46 PM

Thanks.

I wasnt sure of that. So you take the tri rail to Hollywood, Deerfield, Delray or Erst Palm.

West Palm is the first Station with baggage service. Deerfield is staffed but no baggage service. Dont know about Hollywood but Delray is unstaffed.
Actually Fort Lauderdale is the first Amtrak station north of the Airport station and it has baggage service. Hollywood, meanwhile, is south of the Airport station in the direction of Miami.

I should know that!!! I used to live in Hollywood. Mark it down to a senior moment!
  • cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users