Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Best Airport Amtrak Station connection?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

BWI is easy with the regular bus shuttle between the station and the terminals.  Denver is just hope off the train on to the commuter rail out to the airport.  Chicago is a short walk outside to the CTA from Union Station, Ok in good weather, not in the winter.  San Antonio is a straight shot up I-37 to the airport by Uber or taxi, except trains come and go in the night.  In WAS I took the subway out to the Dulles shuttle bus.  In Portland, ME the station is almost next to the airport. Syracuse,  it was a short hop by Uber to the airport, a few miles away.The shuttle from Maricopa goes to the PHX airport.

LAX - Union station is linked by the a regular dedicated bus. 

#22 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

BWI is easy with the regular bus shuttle between the station and the terminals.  Denver is just hope off the train on to the commuter rail out to the airport.  Chicago is a short walk outside to the CTA from Union Station, Ok in good weather, not in the winter.  San Antonio is a straight shot up I-37 to the airport by Uber or taxi, except trains come and go in the night.  In WAS I took the subway out to the Dulles shuttle bus.  In Portland, ME the station is almost next to the airport. Syracuse,  it was a short hop by Uber to the airport, a few miles away.The shuttle from Maricopa goes to the PHX airport.

LAX - Union station is linked by the a regular dedicated bus. 

In some airports(ELP,ATL,HOUS,ABQ...) I have problems walking thru the airport!!!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#23 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Atlanta, Chicago OHare, Washington Dulles, LAX, are difficult to rush through at any time.  Try going from L at Ohare out to the end of C in a rush without leaving security.  Atlanta is a nightmare when the tram fails and everyone has to hoof it.  Try getting stuck out on the tarmac at Dulles in one of the People movers.

#24 crescent2

crescent2

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

Rail Freak, I need a GPS to get through Atlanta's airport!  Seriously, though, my husband had mobility limitations, and they always gave us a ride on a cart through the airport right to our gate.  I think I arranged it ahead of time with the airline, but I can't recall the details.  Allow extra time, of course.  They may not instantly appear to pick you up.  Of course, I doubt you'll start your train trip out west from Atlanta, but still.  

When my friend and I flew into Denver airport a few years ago for the CZ, we took some kind of shuttle bus that dropped us off right at the train station.  As traveler mentioned, I think there is a rail line that runs directly there now.  I don't know how long a walk it would be to get to the rail line in the airport.  I'd think that all major airports would offer cart service for those with disabilities just as Atlanta did for my hubby, so check on that with your airline. There are many people with mobility limitations, so surely there would be some kind of service offered.

Have a great trip! 

• the_traveler likes this

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

I agree that Chicago is pretty easy, but YMMV.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#26 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

Remember\, the OP has a walking distance issue, so we need to consider the distances in the airport or train station as well as getting there. A very easy trip to/from an airport or train station that has very long distances or poor logistics for mobility may be a greater challenge than a slightly tougher connection between 2 terminals that may be easier too handle...actually a considerably more challenging question than it appears at first glance...

#27 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

I agree that Chicago is pretty easy, but YMMV.

Not if you can't walk farther than 200 feet.

The hike from the Midway terminals to the Orange Line is long and involves two sets of stairs. The hike from the O'Hare terminals to the Blue Line doesn't have stairs, but it's still pretty substantial.

On top of that, the closest L stations are 2-3 blocks from Union Station and do not have stairs. If you use Washington/Wells (Orange Line), it has an elevator, but you've just added two more blocks to your walk.

I would not recommend Chicago as a transfer point unless someone is willing to pay for an Uber/Lyft from the airport to Union Station.

In THAT case, I'd recommend Midway over O'Hare, as I'll take the inbound Stevenson over the inbound Kennedy any day. (Plus, it's easier to cut around on surface streets coming from that direction.) :)

• Palmetto likes this

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#28 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Remember\, the OP has a walking distance issue, so we need to consider the distances in the airport or train station as well as getting there. A very easy trip to/from an airport or train station that has very long distances or poor logistics for mobility may be a greater challenge than a slightly tougher connection between 2 terminals that may be easier too handle...actually a considerably more challenging question than it appears at first glance...

Ultimately it seems like a cab might be the only option for the vast majority of airports/stations. So really, the main consideration is if it's a short walk to the taxis. Unfortunately, in most cities that have both Amtrak and airline service, the airports are large, and aren't conducive to someone with limited mobility...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#29 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

If you arrange it with the airline beforehand, even transfers at LAX between terminals are no problem!

Last September I flew into LAX on DL into Terminal 3 and connected to AS out of Terminal 6. DL met me at the jetway with a wheelchair and took me to the curb. They arranged for a (private) shuttle that took me right to Terminal 6. Because it was just us, the shuttle waited until the AS rep came out with the wheelchair. She then took me to and thru Security and right to the gate!

In January, I transferred between terminals on AA at both DFW and O’Hare in a wheelchair.
  • cpotisch likes this
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#30 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

If you arrange it with the airline beforehand, even transfers at LAX between terminals are no problem!

Last September I flew into LAX on DL into Terminal 3 and connected to AS out of Terminal 6. DL met me at the jetway with a wheelchair and took me to the curb. They arranged for a (private) shuttle that took me right to Terminal 6. Because it was just us, the shuttle waited until the AS rep came out with the wheelchair. She then took me to and thru Security and right to the gate!

In January, I transferred between terminals on AA at both DFW and O’Hare in a wheelchair.

Yeah, so if he gets assistance from the airport upon arrival, and a Red Cap at the station (assuming the station is manned), the transfer should be easy.

#31 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:04 AM

ORD actually has a Metra connection. When I was going to visit my now ex in Seattle after working a train into Union Station. I took the Metra North Central Line into ORD to Ohare Transfer. The schedule isn't great but it works.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#32 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:14 AM

ORD actually has a Metra connection. When I was going to visit my now ex in Seattle after working a train into Union Station. I took the Metra North Central Line into ORD to Ohare Transfer. The schedule isn't great but it works.

The schedule is pretty meh, and it's a hop, skip, and a jump from the terminal.

I barely consider it when compared to the frequency of the Blue Line.

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#33 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:10 AM

What about PVD?  Not the poster here [ :) ], but the airport?  When Amtrak starts making stops there, it should be easy.

Edited by Palmetto, 09 May 2018 - 06:11 AM.

#34 tricia

tricia

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

Having done this with my elderly, mobility-impaired father, I'd recommend Milwaukee (for taking the Empire Builder westbound) or Burbank (for connecting to the Coast Starlight northbound, or making any connection at Los Angeles). 

• cpotisch likes this

#35 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

Given the walking limitation, in my limited airport experiences, I'd go with MKE, PDX, or DEN.  BWI would work, too.  However, given the walking limitation, all airports will require wheelchair/red cap assistance.

MKE works because it's a short walk from the platform to the free airport shuttle van which runs about every 20-30 mins.  But the Empire Builder does not stop at Milwaukee Airport (MKA), so you'd have to take a Hiawatha to MKE or CHI to catch a western train.

At PDX, the light rail station is in the airport, but as mentioned by another poster above, would require a change to the green line and would be your limit af walking to the PDX statiom.  The transfer to the yellow line is a 1 block walk...I did it a couple weeks ago.

I haven't been to the new DEN airport yet, so I don't know how convenient that would be.

BWI requires a shuttle van to the BWI station on the NEC.  Or, take the light rail line and transfer to the BAL station line at Camden Yard.

I specifically do NOT include either Chicago airport as the distance from either the L (from MDW) or Dearborn subway (ORD) is a 5-6 BLOCK walk to Union Station!

PHL is a contender too, but as stated, you've had your fill of #29/30 and #48/49.  Have you tried #50/51?  That's the best scenery to CHI in my opinion.  The meals are almost the same as on #48/49 'Diner Light' until 5/25.

#36 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

What about PVD?  Not the poster here [ :) ], but the airport?  When Amtrak starts making stops there, it should be easy.

PVD will be very easy if and when Amtrak starts serving TF Green, but right now it is only served by MBTA.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#37 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Redacted.

Edited by jis, 09 May 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#38 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

Milwaukee airport (MKE) has the advantages of being a smaller airport with a circulating shuttle bus to the airport Amtrak station (MKA) from which the Hiawatha can get you to either the Amtrak station at CHI or MKE for any or all of the Western LD trains.  While the MKA station is very small (180 feet from the bus stop to the train platform) it has no checked baggage.

American can get you from TPA to MKE next wednesday by 10:16am for $162.  And although Midway airport is closer to CUS than O'Hare, flights to MDW from TPA are more than twice as expensive.

Edit:  There's also a bus called the Airport Express that goes between the airport and Amtrak station MKE in downtown Milwaukee with a minimum of walking, but I think it's only once a day, 11:05 to 11:31am.  There may be others but I think they involve longer walks.

Edited by niemi24s, 09 May 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#39 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

Either Chicago airport require a significant walk once you arrive on the L plus a significant walk from Union station.  The Milwaukee airport station , the airport shuttle, and airport walk are about as short as you will find.  BWI connects well on the Amtrak side with elevators on either side of the tracks with both MARC and Amtrak stopping frequently.  The shuttle does stop a couple times at the terminal, but then you are on the baggage level in a big airport so lots of walking from the shuttle to the gate.

#40 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

A 200 foot walking limit would probably require a golf cart or wheelchair from the plane to the curb followed by a ride share or taxi journey to the station followed by yet another golf cart or wheelchair ride to the platform.  Once you've made those concessions the choice of connecting city basically boils down to the availability of redcaps.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 09 May 2018 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users