Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Best Airport Amtrak Station connection?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Being from Florida, combined with the CL & LSL Diner changes, I'm looking for the best flight connection(from Tampa) to an Amtrak connection for trips out West! In my mind, Denver,LAX,PDX or SEA fits nicely. Any suggestions?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#2 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Why not Chicago?

#3 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Why not Chicago?

How easy is it to get from airport & station? Never did it. Also I have walking issues more than 200 feet (circulation)!

Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#4 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

Why not Chicago?

How easy is it to get from airport & station? Never did it. Also I have walking issues more than 200 feet (circulation)!

I was thinking Midway, Southwest flies in there.

I have seen in another thread the way to get to Union Station from there
I’m sure someone will explain the route.
  • BlueWater likes this

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Sorry, I'm confused by the question. Are you asking where the easiest connection is to get from a flight to an Amtrak train west? If so, do you want to take the train end-to-end? If that's what you're asking then Chicago and New Orleans are the only options, period.

Edited by cpotisch, 08 May 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• the_traveler and dogbert617 like this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#6 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

I've done the CL, LSL & Card so many times the scenery isn't exciting anymore & with the Dinning changes, I've decided to fly to save money or points!

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

I've done the CL, LSL & Card so many times the scenery isn't exciting anymore & with the Dinning changes, I've decided to fly to save money or points!

So are you asking what the ideal station/airport is to connect to a western train?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#8 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Sorry, I'm confused by the question. Are you asking where the easiest connection is to get from a flight to an Amtrak train west? If so, do you want to take the train end-to-end? If that's what you're asking then Chicago and New Orleans are the only options, period.

I've done the NOL airport/station connection & found it to be a long cab ride. I forgot to mention ABQ, but  it's a nice connection where a hotel isn't necessary!

#9 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

So are you asking what the ideal station/airport is to connect to a western train?

Yes, Thanx!

#10 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

Yes, Thanx!

And you want to take the train end to end or close to it?

#11 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Yes, Thanx!

And you want to take the train end to end or close to it?

Haven't got that far yet,LOL! 

ex: Fly to Den- Amtrak -PDX-Fly home

#12 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,853 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

Well, Chicago (either O’Hare or Midway) you can take CTA, but they stop a few blocks from Union Station. in LA, you can get the Flyaway bus right at your airline’s terminal at the airport and it goes right to Union Station.

In Denver, you board right at the airport and the line ends at Union Station. In Portland, you can board the Red Line right at the airport and transfer to the Green Line which stops less than 1 block away from Union Station. St Louis has a line that begins at the airport and goes right to the station. I “think” TRE has a line from DFW to both Dallas and Ft Worth stations. (I could be wrong.)

Burbank has the train station literally across the street from the airport. Milwaukee has a station at the airport served by the Hiawatha and METRA.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#13 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

San Diego's airport is very close to the Amtrak station. It wouldn't be an expensive Uber, but a public bus runs for $2 and takes like 15 minutes tops.

Seattle also has a light rail from the airport to downtown, right across from King Street Station. I've used that and it's very convenient.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,536 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

San Diego's airport is very close to the Amtrak station. It wouldn't be an expensive Uber, but a public bus runs for $2 and takes like 15 minutes tops.

Seattle also has a light rail from the airport to downtown, right across from King Street Station. I've used that and it's very convenient.

Though it is a looong walk through an obscure parking structure from the LRT Airport station to the Airport terminal.

In Los Angeles there is the Flyer Bus connection from LAX Terminal buildings to LAUS. Very convenient.

In Portland from the airport Red and then Yellow/Green LRT to Union Station.

In Denver Union Station to Denver International on the A line. Very convenient.

Salt Lake City Amtrak Station to Airport on LRT involving one change as I seem to recall - Blue to Green TRAX.

#15 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

Burbank is the best airport/rail connection out here, IMHO. As mentioned, the Flyaway bus at LAX is very convenient, too.

In the Bay Area, Oakland airport has a BART extension that takes you to the Coliseum BART station. From there, you can walk to the Coliseum Capitol Corridor station, or take BART to downtown Oakland. It's a bit of a hike, though, to Jack London Square. Or you can take BART to the Richmond station, and connect to the Zephyr, Capitol Corridor and San Joaquins (no connection at Richmond for the Starlight, though).

San Francisco airport has a BART station, and you can do the same – go to Oakland or Richmond. Or take BART (either via San Bruno or direct) to Millbrae, connect to Caltrain, and hook up with the Starlight or Capitol Corridor in San Jose.

Getting from San Jose airport to the train involves a bus to Caltrain or light rail. Or just take an Uber, it usually costs me about $10.

Sacramento airport isn't convenient to the train station, the couple of times I've done it, it's cost me $20-$30 on an Uber.

San Diego airport is very close to downtown and there's good city bus connections to the station. Haven't tried an Uber there, but I'd guess it would be similar to San Jose.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#16 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,670 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

I have walking issues more than 200 feet (circulation)!

I've connected through LAX, PDX, SEA, ORD, MDW, and SAN with every pair mentioned exceeding your walking limit at some point in the chain.

#17 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,536 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

DA is right. I was wondering, with a 200' walking limitation, how do you even get from the gate to the terminal exit at any of these airports? i suppose you can get them to cart you over some of the way on those Club Carts. But then what?

Oddly enough at LAX if you can get to just outside the terminal you can probably get on the bus. But then there is the daunting walk at Union Station to deal with too.

#18 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Milwaukee has a station at the airport served by the Hiawatha and METRA.

Metra doesnt go anywhere near Milwaukee (airport or otherwise).
Posted Image

#19 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

In addition to thr cities already mentioned, Salt Lake City and Minneapolis/St. Paul airports can be reached via light rail with one connection.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#20 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

DA is right. I was wondering, with a 200' walking limitation, how do you even get from the gate to the terminal exit at any of these airports?  

I get a sky Cab (wheel chair assistance), I find Denver,Houston,PDX,ELP & even ABQ airports a little challenging!!!

Atlanta & Reagan,even as a young man, have always been challenging!!!

Edited by Rail Freak, 08 May 2018 - 04:34 PM.

• crescent2 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users