Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Fifty States By Rail

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

Well I was looking at a map of the country today and I've figured out that work is taking me to 25 states by rail this year that are confirmed. So I figured maybe this will be the year to hit all fifty.

In the order that I project them to be done.

January: South Carolina (easy when this is your base)
February: New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington.
March: No states were accomplished.
April: North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia
May: No states planned. Maybe I'll hit Georgia because it's close.
June: Maryland, New Jersey
July: Delaware, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Kentucky, Wyoming
August: Tennessee
September: Vermont
October: Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Kansas,
November: Florida, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho

And if I'm successful in getting those trips off the ground I'll figure out how to get South Dakota, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

Trip synopsis
February: I had a job interview in Portland, OR that I was scheduled to take the Lake Shore Limited and Empire Builder for. But due to a blizzard I was rerouted from the Empire Builder to the California Zephyr.
April: I went to Washington, DC to lobby for charter trains. I also went to West Virginia to take two cars out of Huntington for the last time.
June: I'm taking two cars on a Pennsylvanian Turn from Pittsburgh to New York.
July: I'm taking two cars from Washington to Boston. Then to get the extra states taking a Downeaster to the other Portland in instead of a layover day in Boston. Then I'm taking the same two cars on a Capitol Limited/Cardinal turn. After that I'm riding the Denver Post Special to Wyoming. If I get a bargain ticket I might try and take the empire builder afterwards which would free November up to hit Alaska.
August: a friend promised me I could fire 4501 in August so I'll probably end up doing that.
September: I'll take a round trip on the Vermonter instead of a layover between my Montreal trips.
October: using an AD75 fare to take the Texas Eagle and Southwest Chief so I can get those states.
November: taking four PVs from Washington, DC to Seattle, WA. But I might try and sneak Alaska in.

Technically my year ends at the end of February so I should be successful in reaching all 50. Wish me luck.
  • dogbert617 likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#2 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

Hawaii?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#3 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

I've been in 48 states and will get to the other 2 in August. And will ride the rails in both those states, Oklahoma and Michigan. I will have ridden the rails in 48 of the 50. The two missing are Hawaii and Wyoming. There is a tourist train on Maui, the Sugar Cane train. I was in Maui a couple of months ago and the train was not running at that time. It's supposed to be back up and running later this year. I plan to go back next year to Maui and hope it's still up and running. I don't know about Wyoming; it's hard for me to take vacation at short notice if the CZ runs over its detour route through Wyoming. I guess my next best option would be hop a freight.:lol:
Amtrak Miles Traveled: 86162--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#4 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

I've been in 48 states and will get to the other 2 in August. And will ride the rails in both those states, Oklahoma and Michigan. I will have ridden the rails in 48 of the 50. The two missing are Hawaii and Wyoming. There is a tourist train on Maui, the Sugar Cane train. I was in Maui a couple of months ago and the train was not running at that time. It's supposed to be back up and running later this year. I plan to go back next year to Maui and hope it's still up and running. I don't know about Wyoming; it's hard for me to take vacation at short notice if the CZ runs over its detour route through Wyoming. I guess my next best option would be hop a freight.:lol:

You can get Wyoming the same way I am. The Denver post train this July 21st. Me and some friends from Germany are riding it.
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#5 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

I visited 49 states between my 20th and 23rd birthdays...all by bus!   Courtesy of my Trailways pass. Also rode trains through all of them except SD. Some day... https://www.1880train.com....

Didn't get to Hawaii until my 30th... :)   That one relied on the 'Friendly Skies of United'. ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#6 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:44 AM

During my project management work I traveled to all 50 states and slept in 48.  Having been on every Amtrak LD route and many corridor routes, I have used rail to get to most states.  Unfortunately, schedule demands required more flying than rail, which made Delta and United very happy.  

BTW there is a Plantation train on Kauai you can ride out to the fields for tours or a stop off for a picnic.  

KPR-MAP.jpg

• Seaboard92 likes this

#7 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Didn't know any of those 'pineapple expresses' still operated....thanks for posting!   Maybe seek it out, the next time I head that way, which with what is going on with Kilaueau, will not be for a while.... ;)

• dogbert617 likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#8 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, trivia, genealogy

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

I've been in 48 states and will get to the other 2 in August. And will ride the rails in both those states, Oklahoma and Michigan. 

Oklahoma's going to be one of my last states (I've been to 37). One of my friends suggested I get it out of the way ASAP so my "50th State" isn't so anti-climactic.

I know there are interesting things to see there, so it's not a knock against Oklahoma, but it's hard to get excited when I have states like Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, and Hawaii left on the list. :)

Amtrak Miles: 48,312

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#9 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,806 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:04 PM

Heh! I was in Oklahoma earlier today. Riding the Heartland Flyer.
  • Pere Flyer likes this

#10 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

Long ago, my kids had a map of the states I traveled to and enjoyed adding a state or two as they watched me get close to 50.  The oldest granddaughter finished the map and has started her own map as she head off to college, I helped her get to 38 states.

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Didn't know any of those 'pineapple expresses' still operated....thanks for posting!   Maybe seek it out, the next time I head that way, which with what is going on with Kilaueau, will not be for a while.... ;)

The one in Kauai was rebuilt from ground up.  It was highlighted in Trains Mag about 10 years ago.

#12 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,806 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

I rode it some 20+ years back before it shut down before its eventual rebuilding.

#13 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

When does the Honolulu metro open?

Don't forget Puerto Rico - it also has a subway and maybe or maybe not, tourist trains.

• dogbert617 likes this

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#14 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

Right now in trying to figure out how to plan this. I'm thinking about taking the AmBus from Denver to The Southwest Chief just so I can lop off three states on one trip.

My Portland friends have company then so likely I won't head up to Portland.
  • cpotisch likes this

#15 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

Well due to a friend's sister being in Portland after my 844 trips. I'm going to take the AmBus from Denver to Raton, NM. Then take the Southwest Chief to Chicago connecting to the City of New Orleans. Then coming up on the Crescent.

#16 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

Well due to a friend's sister being in Portland after my 844 trips. I'm going to take the AmBus from Denver to Raton, NM. Then take the Southwest Chief to Chicago connecting to the City of New Orleans. Then coming up on the Crescent.

You really want to sit through an AmBus instead of take the Zephyr? Just so you can say you went through a few more states?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#17 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

You really want to sit through an AmBus instead of take the Zephyr? Just so you can say you went through a few more states?

The goal is to hit all 50 states before 2/28/2019. So yeah that would be the answer. I could also take the Capitol Limited and Silver Star to go home. But I'm taking the incredibly long way. Of course I could do some major detouring and take the Eagle to Texas and then the sunset to the crescent.
  • cpotisch likes this

#18 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:14 PM

Seaboard92, I hope you're able to accomplish that goal! Good luck, as I've only been to 30 states myself. Impressed and envious(lol why would I not be?) that I see others are ahead of me on this goal, and have hit slightly more such as 38 states. Really need to step up my trips to northeast states(live in the Midwest, most of my trips have been to Midwest or Southern states, with a few outside of those areas including the west), and start trying to explore more northwest states too such as Oregon, Idaho, Montana, etc.

Any plans for flying to Hawaii somehow yet, Seaboard?

Edited by dogbert617, 02 June 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#19 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

I've been in 48 states and will get to the other 2 in August. And will ride the rails in both those states, Oklahoma and Michigan. 

Oklahoma's going to be one of my last states (I've been to 37). One of my friends suggested I get it out of the way ASAP so my "50th State" isn't so anti-climactic.

I know there are interesting things to see there, so it's not a knock against Oklahoma, but it's hard to get excited when I have states like Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, and Hawaii left on the list. :)

Sarah, just because it's not obvious don't think that Oklahoma hasn't got a lot to offer. OKC is one of the fastest growing cities in the mid-west in particular for young people. Then OKC has the Rodeo Opry (Centenial Rodeo Opry) which is a pure delight in a modern world. 

As non Americans we're interested in all places America and Oklahoma is in our top 2 of favourite states with good reason. Give it a try with an open mind but you will have to dig a bit as they don't shout about their good fortune.

#20 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,642 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:04 PM

Really need to step up my trips to northeast states(live in the Midwest, most of my trips have been to Midwest or Southern states, with a few outside of those areas including the west), and start trying to explore more northwest states too such as Oregon, Idaho, Montana, etc.

Of course I'm biased, having lived here all my life but when you explore Washington you won't be disappointed!
Amtrak Miles Traveled: 86162--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users