Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Superliner Bedroom: Passengers at different stops

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mark_*

Guest_Mark_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

I tried calling Amtrak with my question but could not get through.

I was wondering if it is possible to book a superliner bedroom for 2 and have one passenger get on at one stop, and the other get on at a later stop.

Has anyone ever done this? How should the room be reserved?

Thanks,

Mark

#2 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:43 AM

Yes, it is possible.

What you do is book the room for the passenger going the longest distance (say Chiicago to Flagstaff). Then book an OPEN SLEEPER ticket for the second passenger (say Galesburg to Flagstaff) and associate it with your reservation. This will assure the lowest bucket is charged for their ticket, not the current bucket!

Edited by the_traveler, 03 May 2018 - 10:54 AM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

Yes, it is possible.

What you do is book the room for the passenger going the longest distance (say Chiicago to Flagstaff). Then book an OPEN SLEEPER ticket for the second passenger (say Galesburg to Flagstaff) and associate it with your reservation. This will assure for their ticket, not the current bucket!

What's an open sleeper ticket?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,168 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Yes, the Open Sleeper for the passenger riding the shorter distance is the way to go here.

The open sleeper ticket will always just be railfare (no buckets involved).
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 Guest_Mark_*

Guest_Mark_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Is there any way to book an open sleeper online or do I need to call in?

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

You’re going to need to call for that one.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 CAMISSY55

CAMISSY55

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:19 AM

I don't know if it is always the case, but late last year when I a friend joined me using an Open Sleeper ticket, the ticket had to be picked up at the station. I can't remember the reason why.

Edited by CAMISSY55, 03 May 2018 - 11:22 AM.

#8 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

I don't know if it is always the case, but late last year when I a friend joined me using an Open Sleeper ticket, the ticket had to be picked up at the station. I can't remember the reason why.

Yes, it has to be picked up at a station. It’s an old fashioned ticket, not an eTicket.

With the numerous stations losing their ticket agents this will a problem for many.

• cpotisch likes this

#9 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

Has to be an open ticket unless like I have done with a granddaughter, who got off at one stop earlier than myself, cost was the same, so I just told the SCA and the Conductor who had no issues, they just made a note of the different stops, 30 miles apart. 

#10 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:23 PM

If you just buy a regular coach ticket for the 2nd passenger, there is a possibility that they may end up paying more they can not go into the sleeper (coach passengers can not go into sleepers) and their meals will NOT be included!
Take it easy .......

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Yes, it has to be picked up at a station. It’s an old fashioned ticket, not an eTicket.

With the numerous stations losing their ticket agents this will a problem for many.

They can also be gotten from the vending machines - not sure how many of them are out there at unstaffed stations.
Posted Image

#12 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

I think Amtrak will mail out open sleeper tickets if the boarding is at an unstaffed station without a QuikTrak machine (and perhaps even if you're boarding at an unstaffed station that has a QuikTrak machine.) I remember getting them mailed out at one point, but I don't recall if it was for a boarding at SPL (which is unstaffed and doesn't have a QuikTrak machine) or SCD (where it's still unstaffed, but there is a QuikTrak machine.)

Of course, this assumes that there's adequate time to mail out the tickets (there's a 9 day lead time required.) But Amtrak still has the ability to mail out tickets that can't be issued via eTicket for this reason (I did a mock itinerary along the Atlantic City line which requires paper tickets still, and from an unstaffed station they'll mail out the tickets.)

#13 WindyCityTexan

WindyCityTexan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Have passport, MUST travel.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:52 AM

Call Amtrak directly. It may not have to be a physical "open" ticket.

Last August I found out a friend was on the CZ with me from CHI to LNK for the Eclipse. I was in a Roomette, she was in Coach.

We called Amtrak and had her added to my Roomette, and she got a $60 refund AND a steak dinner!
  • caravanman likes this
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts."  - Mark Twain, Innocents Abroad

#14 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

Apparently it was converted to an open sleeper ticket. Otherwise there would be no refund or included meal for someone in coach.
Take it easy .......

#15 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

Apparently it was converted to an open sleeper ticket. Otherwise there would be no refund or included meal for someone in coach.

Unless it was just a straight add to the ticket itself (so they were both directly listed on the roomette ticket.) The only reasons for an open sleeper ticket are if there's different origin or destination points or if you're adding someone and the system will charge you a higher bucket on the roomette for adding the person. Otherwise it's easier to modify the ticket to add the second person.

#16 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:38 AM

What actually is an open sleeper ticket, though? I'm almost there, but just a little confused...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#17 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,844 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

An open sleeper ticket is basically just the rail fare at the lowest bucket.

If you get a coach ticket and it is selling at say the highest bucket, you pay high bucket. However, when you buy a room it is made up of 1) the rail fare at the low bucket and 2) one accommodation charge. Since someone else has already paid the accommodation charge, the second passenger only has to pay the rail fare. If say high bucket is $127 and it is now selling for $127, normally that’s what a coach ticket would cost.

However, you would not get included meals or even technically be allowed to enter the sleeping car. But if you get an open sleeper ticket and associate it with a reservation, you get the included meals PLUS you can enter the sleeping car PLUS you only pay low bucket (say $86)!
  • crescent2 and cpotisch like this
Take it easy .......

#18 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Someone else has already paid the sleeper accommodation charge so there is an OPEN seat (rail fare) in the SLEEPER.

• crescent2 likes this

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#19 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

T'ank you very much.

Edited by cpotisch, 11 May 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#20 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Open sleeper ticket still must be a paper "value" ticket, not an eTicket.  Just had one done in April.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr

Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)

Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal)

Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users