Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Staffed to Unstaffed Stations Master Thread

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:57 PM

“Available 7 days a week”?

:huh:

The Cardinal only operates 3 days a week! :wacko:

If you want to get technical, The Eastbound Cardinal passes through CHW on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday while the Westbound Cardinal passes through on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. 

It should read 6 days a week. ^_^

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#42 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:04 AM

Available 7 days a week?

:huh:

The Cardinal only operates 3 days a week! :wacko:

If you want to get technical, The Eastbound Cardinal passes through CHW on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday while the Westbound Cardinal passes through on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday. 

I think you mean Cincinnati, which has one train on the days you listed. Charleston (CHW) has two trains (one in each direction) on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but none on the other four days of the week. Also, since the times are after midnight at Cincinnati the eastbound Cardinal passes through on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday, while the westbound comes through on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 16 June 2018 - 02:08 AM.

• Thirdrail7 and cpotisch like this
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#43 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:31 AM

I think you mean Cincinnati, which has one train on the days you listed. Charleston (CHW) has two trains (one in each direction) on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but none on the other four days of the week. Also, since the times are after midnight at Cincinnati the eastbound Cardinal passes through on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday, while the westbound comes through on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Thank you. That is what I should have typed.

#44 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

Effective July 8, La Junta will be staffed five days a week, Monday to Friday, with a caretaker on weekends. Ticket sales will continue to be available when the agent is on site, currently scheduled as Mon-Wed 7am - 12:30pm and Thur-Fri 7am-10am and 6pm-8:30pm. When the agent is not available during the scheduled hours a caretaker will open the station. Checked baggage and unaccompanied minor services will not be available.

#45 Burns651

Burns651

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 05:21 PM

Yesterday was the last day for Flint, MI's agent. The remaining staffed Michigan Amtrak stations are Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Detroit and East Lansing.
  • dogbert617 and cpotisch like this

#46 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:03 PM

CIN and CHW will offer train side baggage and bike service. 

• bretton88 and TiBike like this

#47 dogbert617

dogbert617

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:38 AM

Yesterday was the last day for Flint, MI's agent. The remaining staffed Michigan Amtrak stations are Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Detroit and East Lansing.

I didn't realize Niles, MI no longer had an agent. That is too bad, but I guess the way all these unstaffing decisions are coming to(sigh). And as for Charleston, WV, I recall reading US Senator Manchin(of WV) was trying to add language to the Amtrak funding bill for this year to require Amtrak to have at least 1 station agent, in each state where Amtrak operates trains through. Clever idea he's doing that, since it'll save at least Charleston, WV's agent. Too bad it won't save the one in Cincy....

And that's too bad La Junta's agent will only be there on weekdays. Probably a sign that soon it'll lose its agent entirely, one of these future months/years....

I didn't realize Niles, MI no longer had an agent. And from reading page 1, apparently Jackson, MI recently lost its agent too. That is too bad, but I guess the way all these unstaffing decisions are coming to(sigh). 

Edited by dogbert617, 12 July 2018 - 02:40 AM.

#48 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:15 AM

I suspect if Michigan wanted to have agents at stations served primarily by their trains, they could make it happen.
  • dogbert617 and Pere Flyer like this

#49 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:37 AM

In light of the reduction in staffed stations and the resulting reduction in checked baggage, I wonder if Amtrak didn’t make the wrong decision about the baggage and baggage-dorm cars. Wouldn’t it have been better to have more bag-dorms and reduce or eliminate baggage cars on single level trains? This would at least generate more revenue.

Do trains like the Carolinian, Palmetto, Star, Cardinal and Crescent really need that much baggage space. Even though it’s a bigger train, the LSL certainly doesn’t need two baggage cars. Would it be possible to reconfigure full baggage cars to bag-dorms?

#50 JRR

JRR

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

By cutting baggage service at stations, they assure that even less space is needed.

Edited by JRR, 19 July 2018 - 12:18 PM.

• Pere Flyer likes this

#51 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

In light of the reduction in staffed stations and the resulting reduction in checked baggage, I wonder if Amtrak didn’t make the wrong decision about the baggage and baggage-dorm cars. Wouldn’t it have been better to have more bag-dorms and reduce or eliminate baggage cars on single level trains? This would at least generate more revenue.

Do trains like the Carolinian, Palmetto, Star, Cardinal and Crescent really need that much baggage space. Even though it’s a bigger train, the LSL certainly doesn’t need two baggage cars. Would it be possible to reconfigure full baggage cars to bag-dorms?

Remember that the full baggage cars are used on almost every single Amtrak route. The bag-dorms would really only work on the single-level long distance trains, which makes them much less useful. There are 17 single-level LD consists. Add in a 20% protect margin and that comes out to about 21 cars, if they were to literally put the bag-dorms on every long distance single-level train.

And if checked baggage is being abandoned altogether, why even have bag-dorms? Just buy that many full sleepers, since that would bring in so much more revenue. My point is, the bag-dorms really only work on routes that could use a bit more sleeper space, but do not need much checked baggage space. The problem is, that's really only the case for a few trains.

So I don't think that it was a mistake to cut the number of bag-dorms in favor of baggage cars, because pretty much every route in the country can use the latter, and only a couple can use the former.

Edited by cpotisch, 17 August 2018 - 05:45 PM.

• Pere Flyer likes this

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#52 looshi

looshi

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

The change from bag-dorms to full bags was made primarily because of a projected increase in bike demand. I don't see that demand going away, but they probably need to expand the number of stations than handle walk-up bikes.

• TiBike likes this

#53 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

Also because they wanted to be able to take the Heritage bags off regular service by mid-this decade, and not stretch it till the next decade perhaps
  • jebr likes this

#54 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:29 AM

Also because they wanted to be able to take the Heritage bags off regular service by mid-this decade, and not stretch it till the next decade perhaps

I imagine the plan would have been to replace the old baggage cars with bag-dorms anyway, so his point still stands. If Amtrak had felt that the bag-dorms have enough capacity to accommodate the baggage (and bike) load on more trains,, they could have replaced the Heritage cars with these.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,514 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:18 PM

I imagine the plan would have been to replace the old baggage cars with bag-dorms anyway, so his point still stands. If Amtrak had felt that the bag-dorms have enough capacity to accommodate the baggage (and bike) load on more trains,, they could have replaced the Heritage cars with these.
Only if they could have them delivered as early as they got the baggage cars, which are the easiest to manufacture.

Edited by jis, 15 August 2018 - 07:24 AM.

#56 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hammond (HMD), Meridian(MEI), Tuscaloosa(TCL), Columbus(CBS) and Worcester(WOR) have baggage lite/train side baggage service available.

• daybeers and cpotisch like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users