Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Staffed to Unstaffed Stations Master Thread

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:37 AM

Quite of a few of the stations that are losing their staffs are under review for train side, baggage lite service.

• cpotisch likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#22 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

Any details of what "Baggage Lite" would involve surface yet?

#23 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Bikes?

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#24 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Quite of a few of the stations that are losing their staffs are under review for train side, baggage lite service.

Good.

It's still absurd for *Cincy* to lose staffing. This is not some small town. The only reason it has low ridership is the damn three-a-week nonsense; get the Cardinal daily and watch it boom.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#25 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:39 PM

I remember when I was very briefly in Elkhart, IN earlier this year and walked around its downtown, there was a note that the station house is unlocked during hours the station has Amtrak trains arriving and leaving that station. Which are Capitol Limited(Chicago-DC), and Lake Shore Limited(Chicago-Boston-NYC). So I get the sense that this station was a volunteer station where a caretaker opens up and closes that station, during hours Amtrak trains serve Elkhart. Station looked historic, and in nice shape btw.

#26 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

Would this be in addition to eliminating existing baggage lite service? Fort Madison (FMD) has had track side baggage service for several years on weekends when it is not staffed.  When I went to book FMD to LMY May 19 (a Saturday), it said no baggage.

So why didn't they do this review before eliminating the service?

#27 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

Would this be in addition to eliminating existing baggage lite service? Fort Madison (FMD) has had track side baggage service for several years on weekends when it is not staffed.  When I went to book FMD to LMY May 19 (a Saturday), it said no baggage.

'Cause they didn't think it would make sense for that station? 

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#28 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

In FMD's case, maybe they did do the review prior to eliminating the service. Maybe they looked at the current operation and decided it was no longer worth it and targeted it for elimination. The same goes for GRV. After watching baggage lite in action for a few months, they cancelled it.

As for the rest of the stations under consideration, I personally(please note the use of the word "personally") believe it won't occur. The problem is there is little "hard" revenue appearing from the checked bags and there are quite a few top people that question the wisdom of even having an operational baggage car fleet, wondering aloud if it would be better to treat them like the HHP-8s (if you catch my drift.) I don't think that will happen, but the reality of the situation is it largely irrelevant if baggage lite is available or will become available.  Staffing costs and costs (particularly on the LD service line network) must be cut...and that means now. So, goodbye staff and you guys can figure if baggage lite will work on your own time.

Revenue trumps ridership!!!!!!

Edited by Thirdrail7, 12 May 2018 - 09:44 AM.

• cpotisch likes this

#29 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

An article on Mattoon, IL losing its ticket staff ... about 30 years ago.

https://csanders429....ices-will-fail/

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 12 May 2018 - 10:41 AM.

• Thirdrail7 and cpotisch like this

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#30 AmtrakLKL

AmtrakLKL

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

Texarkana, TX will begin limited train-side checked baggage and bike service today. 

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,946 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

Texarkana, TX will begin limited train-side checked baggage and bike service today. 

Who is gonna do it since the Station is becoming unstaffed, the Conductors???
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#32 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Maybe they'll start hiring baggage car attendants. I'm kind of joking but kind of not.  :P

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#33 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

Who is gonna do it since the Station is becoming unstaffed, the Conductors???

nodding.gif

#34 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

I take it as a positive development. Once it's established that passengers are as capable of handing up bikes and baggage as Amtrak employees, there's no reason not to take bikes and baggage at every station.

Want to avoid double spotting? Accept the bags and bikes into the lower level of a coach – where they put "carry on" bags anyway – and transfer to a baggage car later, at a station where there's an employee, likely with a motorised cart.

Too much work or too much dwell time required? Start charging $20 per bag per segment, as with bikes.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#35 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Too much work or too much dwell time required? Start charging $20 per bag per segment, as with bikes.

Please don't give them any ideas or you'll have to pay for air conditioning on the train!

• Seaboard92 and TiBike like this

#36 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Please don't give them any ideas or you'll have to pay for air conditioning on the train!

You shouldn't have said that! They're now charging $1 per degree per minute!

Edited by cpotisch, 16 May 2018 - 04:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users