Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Favorite European Railroad Stretch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

What is everyone's favorite stretch of Europe's Railroad network and why?

My favorite is the Mirtenwald Railway in Germany and Austria. The line technically starts in Garmish-Partinkirchen to Innsbruck but I basically count the München-Garmish leg as part of it.

I love it because it starts off with a lovely view of Starnbergsee where the Mad King drowned. Then it crosses over some rural fields in the a Alpine foothills. And once we start approaching Garmish we are fully in the alps with alpine streams, and beautiful scenery. After Mittenwald it gets spectacular with the train clinging to the cliffs high above the valley. Going in and out of tunnels and out onto a large viaduct directly after some tunnels.

And then the descent from the valley into Innsbruck where you can see the airport, and the Inn Valley line before arriving in Innsbruck. By far one of my favorite rail lines in the world if not my favorite in the world. Trains used to run with old style coaches with open windows which was amazing to ride with my head out the entire way.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#2 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

There are a few, but I think France's Cote d'Azur is my favorite, especially east of Nice.

Edited by Palmetto, 02 May 2018 - 07:13 AM.

#3 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:35 AM

Switzerland: Berninabahn

Spain: Alicante to Denia

UK: West Highland line to Mallaig

Germany: Rhine route passing Loreley

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

There are a few that come to mind:

1. Switzerland: Route of the Glacier Express, but done on local trains.

2. Norway: Oslo to Bergen with a side trip from Myrdal to Floem on the fjord.

3. Norway: Trondheim to Andalsnese on the fjord

4. France/Switzerland: Montreaux - Martigny - Chamonix on the Chatelardbahn

5. Switzerland: The old Goethardbahn through the triple spiral tunnels/bridges and Old Gotthard Tunnel between Bellinzona and Goeschenen.

Edited by jis, 02 May 2018 - 12:41 PM.

• cirdan likes this

#5 railbuck

railbuck

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Germany: Rhine route passing Loreley

The fast run between Frankfurt airport and Köln is interesting too, but not nearly as scenic as along the Rhine.

Euromed (Valencia to Barcelona) has some nice views along the coast.

Has anyone done the Semmering route between Vienna and Graz along the east edge of the Alps?  I'm looking at working that in later this year.

#6 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

I'll second the Bergen Line - Finse 1222 yeah!

The ride along Mjosa from Oslo to Lillehammer is a fond childhood memory.

The train from Valenca, Portugal runs along the coast towards Porto (the line to Lisbon also runs briefly along the coast through the south suburbs of Porto), through charming towns and through somewhat inland countryside with delightful hills and farms. I suspect that the ride from Vigo, Spain, north bound in daylight would be quite nice with fjordlike scenery.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users