Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Roomette 007 - Coast Starlight View

31 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

11 and 12 are on the lower level, many, but not all, feel has less view.  The wall of E is against the hallway with the stairs and has the slide able wall into D. 

#22 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:27 AM

[quote]Based on my past several trips on the CS, Roomette 07 will be on the east (inland) side of #14. I say that because I'm usually in bedroom D or E in the which has been on the west side of the train. On #11 the opposite is true. There is still a possibility the car will be oriented in the opposite direction. YMMV.[/quote]

That must have just been a coincidence. Superliners are bidirectional (as was mentioned a thousand times), so the cars are oriented either way. The moment its slightly more convenient for the yard crew, theyll put the odd roomettes on the west side of #14.

Edited by cpotisch, 29 April 2018 - 06:34 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#23 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

Based on my past several trips on the CS, Roomette 07 will be on the east (inland) side of #14. I say that because I'm usually in bedroom D or E in the which has been on the west side of the train. On #11 the opposite is true. There is still a possibility the car will be oriented in the opposite direction. YMMV.

That must have just been a coincidence. Superliners are bidirectional (as was mentioned a thousand times), so the cars are oriented either way. The moment its slightly more convenient for the yard crew, theyll put the odd roomettes on the west side of #14.

Edited by FrensicPic, 29 April 2018 - 08:26 AM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#24 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

I saw that, but you seemed to be saying that Roomette 7 will usually be on the east side of #14. Thats incorrect - it will just as often be the other way around.

Edited by cpotisch, 29 April 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#25 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

Look at the diagram, 7 is on the opposite side of the car as the bedrooms. If, as with my observations from previous trips, I am in Bedroom E on the west side of the train, 7 is on the east. On the return trip, the bedrooms have been on east side of the train so 7 will be on the west.

This is based on my experience riding the CS a few times and yes, I am fully aware the cars may be oriented either way.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#26 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

[quote name="FrensicPic" post="751730" timestamp="1525011160"]Look at the diagram, 7 is on the opposite side of the car as the bedrooms. If, as with my observations from previous trips, I am in Bedroom E on the west side of the train, 7 is on the east. On the return trip, the bedrooms have been on east side of the train so 7 will be on the west.

This is based on my experience riding the CS a few times and yes, I am fully aware the cars may be oriented either way.[/quote]
I get that 7 is on the opposite side of the car, but, and not to get caught up on this, the car shouldn’t be pointing one way or another. So yes, if the Bedrooms are on the west side of the train, roomette 7 is east, but that’s irrelevant since it shouldn’t be pointed in that direction necessarily.

#27 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,168 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:22 AM

I saw that, but you seemed to be saying that Roomette 7 will usually be on the east side of #14. Thats incorrect - it will just as often be the other way around.

Not necessarily. While it can be random, there are some tendencies that people with actual riding experience (i.e. not random internet people) can discern.
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#28 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

Look at the diagram, 7 is on the opposite side of the car as the bedrooms. If, as with my observations from previous trips, I am in Bedroom E on the west side of the train, 7 is on the east. On the return trip, the bedrooms have been on east side of the train so 7 will be on the west.

This is based on my experience riding the CS a few times and yes, I am fully aware the cars may be oriented either way.

I get that 7 is on the opposite side of the car, but, and not to get caught up on this, the car shouldn’t be pointing one way or another. So yes, if the Bedrooms are on the west side of the train, roomette 7 is east, but that’s irrelevant since it shouldn’t be pointed in that direction necessarily.

They don't take the train sets apart at each endpoint and randomly put them back together again, so there's more consistency as to which side #7 will be on then there is inconsistency.  Then only time it may be reversed is if a car is bad ordered and a repacement car is added to the train set in reverse of what it's replacing.

• cpotisch likes this

#29 StanJazz

StanJazz

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:48 AM

Here is a picture from one of my Starlight trips. 1 sleeper is facing 1 way, the other 2 are the other way.

Attached Files

• the_traveler and cpotisch like this

#30 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

When we rode the CS last summer, two sleepers were one way and one the opposite. I remember the bedrooms back to back as we walked to/ from the PPC and Dining Car.
  • the_traveler and cpotisch like this

#31 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

Responding to a previous poster, no question that Bedroom A is a bit more "tight" than the others.  But, it is still comfortable with 2 persons occupying the accommodation.

As to the lower level Superliner Roomettes, the accessibility and number of restrooms as well as the shower are more important to me than having to climb up/down the narrow stairs to the upper level for the use of those amenities.  In scenic locations, an upper level Roomette might be better.  But, for views from both sides of the train--which I think is better than just from the side of my Roomette--you will find me in the SSL.

• cpotisch likes this

#32 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

[quote name="Dakota 400" post="751798" timestamp="1525042998"]Responding to a previous poster, no question that Bedroom A is a bit more "tight" than the others.  But, it is still comfortable with 2 persons occupying the accommodation.

As to the lower level Superliner Roomettes, the accessibility and number of restrooms as well as the shower are more important to me than having to climb up/down the narrow stairs to the upper level for the use of those amenities.  In scenic locations, an upper level Roomette might be better.  But, for views from both sides of the train--which I think is better than just from the side of my Roomette--you will find me in the SSL.[/quote]

I'm taking a trip next summer!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users