Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

New Piedmont Roundtrip

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 masonw

masonw

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:34 PM

Any plans to upgrade the route for passenger rail? I took it about a couple times and the speed limit is around 78 MPH. What would it take to allow speeds of around 90-100 miles an hour?

The extra round-trip really helps, and I suspect it would pick up quite a bit more passengers now. It really needs to speed up though. Knock maybe 30 to 45 minutes off. Combined with the new train stations in Charlotte and Raleigh, I'm thinking NC get's its first decent passenger rail line.

#42 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Any plans to upgrade the route for passenger rail? I took it about a couple times and the speed limit is around 78 MPH. What would it take to allow speeds of around 90-100 miles an hour?

The extra round-trip really helps, and I suspect it would pick up quite a bit more passengers now. It really needs to speed up though. Knock maybe 30 to 45 minutes off. Combined with the new train stations in Charlotte and Raleigh, I'm thinking NC get's its first decent passenger rail line.

90-100 mph is considered higher-speed rail, and I don't think there are any plans to do that with the Piedmont. 79 mph is the standard, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#43 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

Anything over 79 gets pretty expensive in this country. In a few years, when the PTC all gets sorted out it MAY be less expensive to run passenger trains above 79 if track conditions are right. The existing track in North Carolina could possibly be Class 5 already, which would allow passenger trains at 90.  Not sure how much of that track is straight enough to run at 90.. but it might be possible. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#44 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,534 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

There is no reason for any of those tracks to be Class 5, unless someone runs a freight train on any of those tracks at higher than 60mph. Class 4 is plenty good for 80mph passenger, 60mph freight.

#45 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

Does NS never run freight above 60?

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#46 masonw

masonw

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:27 PM

Reading the articles, looks like it won't be until 2020 but PTC is coming.

Sad to see higher speed rail is still very expensive to install.

#47 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:13 PM

Does NS never run freight above 60?

Answered my own question... No. Intermodals top out at 60. For some reason I thought they run the triple crowns at 65. 

So yeah... that wouldn't be class 5 track. 

#48 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

90-100 mph is considered higher-speed rail, and I don't think there are any plans to do that with the Piedmont. 79 mph is the standard, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Top speed is often meaningless. Average speed is far more important.

• daybeers and Pere Flyer like this

#49 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

NC DOT does seem to be reducing the number of slower sections 

• daybeers likes this

#50 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:09 AM

They've double tracked all the way from Greensboro to Charlotte.  They've "straightened" out some curves on that section.  Between Greensboro and Cary they've now got 6 passing sidings and also straightened out the curves at Haw River.  There are some more curves in that section that I'd like to see fixed, but I don't think that's in-plan.

The big problem these days is freight interference due to congestion around Linwood.

jb

• daybeers likes this

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users