Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

New Piedmont Roundtrip

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

Fresh off the presses the new Trains No. 77 and 78 have officially been added into Arrow because I've successfully made a reservation on them.

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1524681204.878478.jpg   170.19KB   66 downloads
  • daybeers likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#2 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

The new schedule takes effect on Monday, June 4th. Some of the existing trains have been rescheduled as well. Before the change, the departures from Charlotte are 7:00 AM, 12:00 PM, and 5:15 PM, while they will become 6:45 AM, 10:30 AM, 3:15 PM, and 7:00 PM. From Raleigh, the current departures are 6:45 AM, 11:45 AM, and 5:16 PM, while they will soon become 6:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 3:00 PM, and 5:16 PM. Connections from 92 at Cary have been reduced from 3:50 to 2:04, but connections to 91 have extended from 1:05 to 3:17.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 25 April 2018 - 01:50 PM.

<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#3 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

Great news. Now it will be easy to drive from SC to catch the 10:30 train, check out the new Raleigh station, then to Greensboro or Durham for a baseball game and home the next morning. NC DOT has their act together. Of course it helps they have a funding source. Wish every state had a NC RR.
  • daybeers likes this

#4 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

Note that 75 will depart RGH 1000 while 80 will arrive RGH 1002. Also, the earlier time for 80 increases the chance of a clash with a late-running 92. Fortunately the new Raleigh station has a double platform, unlike the current station.

The new schedule does reduce the likelihood of clash at RGH between 76 and 91, a common occurrence now. 

#5 AGM.12

AGM.12

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:42 PM

Concerning rolling stock, have they already rebuilt those circus cars they bought? I wonder if they acquired the excursion fleet of cars from NS?

#6 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

The new schedule does reduce the likelihood of clash at RGH between 76 and 91, a common occurrence now. 

The new 78 could meet 91, however, if it is running late. From what I understand, the second track accessibility in Raleigh is one of the projects that made this new round-trip possible.
<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:21 PM

The circus cars to my understanding are still out of service in Nash County. Looking at this schedule I see two trainsets needed.
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#8 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

@Seaboard92: Yep, I see that as well.73 turns as 74, which turns as 77, which then turns as 78.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#9 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

@Seaboard92: Yep, I see that as well.73 turns as 74, which turns as 77, which then turns as 78.

I think eventually the plan is to add another round trip in there somewhere. They now have the equipment if they wanted to run to Asheville they could.

Keep in mind the S line has been downgraded and would need major work to do so now. But they have the equipment

#10 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:13 AM

Do not assume two sets of equipment is enough.  Only two sets would have the same set overnighting in RGH or CLT every night.  NCRR cannot do preventative maintenance that way.  It take a third set to allow for proper PM ! 

#11 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

The new schedule takes effect on Monday, June 4th. Some of the existing trains have been rescheduled as well. Before the change, the departures from Charlotte are 7:00 AM, 12:00 PM, and 5:15 PM, while they will become 6:45 AM, 10:30 AM, 3:15 PM, and 7:00 PM. From Raleigh, the current departures are 6:45 AM, 11:45 AM, and 5:16 PM, while they will soon become 6:30 AM, 10:00 AM, 3:00 PM, and 5:16 PM. Connections from 92 at Cary have been reduced from 3:50 to 2:04, but connections to 91 have extended from 1:05 to 3:17.

I don't know whether Raleigh or Cary is nicer but the layover in Raleigh from 76 to 91 would be 6:26pm to 9:01pm. It went from maybe cutting it close to a little too long. From a corridor train to a LD, I would think an ideal layover would be 2 hours. On the other hand, if the SS were late coming from the NEC, maybe the old 76 schedule was fine and the new would make for a really long wait in Cary or Raleigh if you get there at 6:26pm and the Star doesn't get to North Carolina until 10 or 11pm.

On the other hand, you would have a shorter wait time in Raleigh/Cary IF the Star is on time (Cary 8:08am to 10:12am, Raleigh 8:45am to 10:00am). Even if it's late and you miss the 76, the next train (78) is now a 3pm/3:12pm (a few hours better). 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#12 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

Although I haven't personally seen the interior of the new Raleigh station, its photos appear to be more attractive, accommodating, and spacious than the Cary station -- which is functional but not grand. The new Raleigh station will have more restaurants and bars within walking distance. 

On the other hand, for locals the Cary station has plenty of free parking within 150 feet of the station. Parking for the new Raleigh station isn't free and is a longer walk. I live in the outskirts of Raleigh. If I am traveling to Greensboro or points south, I'll use the Cary station. If I am traveling to Virginia or points north, I'll continue to drive to Rocky Mount and park there (free). 

Edited by xyzzy, 27 April 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#13 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

I think eventually the plan is to add another round trip in there somewhere. They now have the equipment if they wanted to run to Asheville they could.

Keep in mind the S line has been downgraded and would need major work to do so now. But they have the equipment

Per one of NCDOT's reps, they are planning Ambus to Asheville.

#14 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

About 15 years ago, NS wanted $150 million of capital improvements to handle passenger trains Asheville-Salisbury. At the time, max timetable speed on the line was 45 mph. Now it's 25 mph. Wouldn't surprise me if NS wants $300 million today. Meanwhile NS management has become less accommodating to passenger trains. I don't see Asheville happening unless NS sells the line. And even if NS does, there is still a political debate about Asheville vs Wilmington. Remember, although railfans might love the loops and tunnels to reach Asheville, a passenger train will always move through those slowly. On the other hand, a passenger train could run at 79 virtually all the way into Wilmington on straight and level track. 

#15 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:06 AM

About 15 years ago, NS wanted $150 million of capital improvements to handle passenger trains Asheville-Salisbury. At the time, max timetable speed on the line was 45 mph. Now it's 25 mph. Wouldn't surprise me if NS wants $300 million today. Meanwhile NS management has become less accommodating to passenger trains. I don't see Asheville happening unless NS sells the line. And even if NS does, there is still a political debate about Asheville vs Wilmington. Remember, although railfans might love the loops and tunnels to reach Asheville, a passenger train will always move through those slowly. On the other hand, a passenger train could run at 79 virtually all the way into Wilmington on straight and level track. 

A couple of years ago I took an excursion from Spencer to Asheville and returned.  We had regular Amtrak engines.  The train coming down the mountain was restricted to 15 mph.  And since the dynamic brakes don't work all that well at such a slow speed, regular airbrakes were used.  Before we got to the bottom the brakes got so hot that we had to stop and let them cool off.  So if regular trains are ever to make this run, something has to be done about either raising the speed coming down the mountain or getting better dynamic brakes.

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#16 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:58 PM

A couple of years ago I took an excursion from Spencer to Asheville and returned.  We had regular Amtrak engines.  The train coming down the mountain was restricted to 15 mph.  And since the dynamic brakes don't work all that well at such a slow speed, regular airbrakes were used.  Before we got to the bottom the brakes got so hot that we had to stop and let them cool off.  So if regular trains are ever to make this run, something has to be done about either raising the speed coming down the mountain or getting better dynamic brakes.

jb

They can always create a theme-park type thrill ride by refurbishing Saluda Grade and using it for passenger service. :giggle:

• tricia likes this

#17 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:05 AM

jb

Well the train you were on was about twenty five cars if I remember those consists right. I've worked several of those so they all blend together. On one of those Asheville trips a volunteer tied the hand brakes down to help while we set the retainers. We proceeded to go down the mountain and did a real number on that car.

We had to stay standing for fifteen to twenty minutes to let it cool down. And we had a flat spot in the wheel after that.

A short train shouldn't have nearly as much trouble.

#18 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:14 AM

Raleigh Union Station is being dedicated today, April 30, 2018.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article209619139.html  (has a drone video).

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,806 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:21 PM

Someone please fix the link. It currently links to 404.

#20 keelhauled

keelhauled

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

This should work - there was a space appended after the .html that broke it.

Two links for the price of one - coverage of the ceremony.

Edited by keelhauled, 30 April 2018 - 06:28 PM.

• cirdan likes this

We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users