Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Finland - Estonia Tunnel Strategy taking shape

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,944 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

http://www.railwayga...next-month.html

Finland – Estonia Tunnel strategy to be published next month

The Finnish and Estonian joint working group, which is developing proposals for the 92 km FinEst undersea railway tunnel between Helsinki and Tallinn, is due to publish its recommendations on how to proceed on May 7.

This will set out a vision for what should happen next, how the project could be structured, and how it could be financed.

#2 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:49 PM

This just sounds nuts to me. But then again, it might be a good idea. And Talinn has free transit for it's residents.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,944 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

This just sounds nuts to me. But then again, it might be a good idea. And Talinn has free transit for it's residents.

There was a time when the Great Belt Fixed Link also sounded like nuts as did the Chunnell. You never know!

This one, if it comes to pass, will of necessity be an EU Project, and the Russians will work hard to undermine it.

Yeah, Tallinn is a delightful city. I have been there several times, always for a day trip from Helsinki on the high speed ferry to the then active Tallinn Ferry Terminal, which has changed quite a bit over the years. The terminal is just a short 15 minute walk to downtown too and the little fort too.

#4 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

Im waiting for a Long Island to Connecticut or Rhode Island Tunnel....

But Id be happy just to see them build a new Gateway tunnel from NJ to NY... :D
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#5 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

I know this would, to a large extent, be a freight line...but I'm reminded of how the situation in the Baltics is a fractured mess.  Seeing an article in there about a possible Finnish link to the Arctic, I have to wonder why they don't just plug the hole with the line to Sweden and run the freight that way?  I know this is shorter to eastern Europe (in particular), but it also seems to be quite an ambitious (and expensive) project.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#6 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, Tallinn is wonderful. My dad spent a lot of time there in the 80's and we visited in the early 90's - one of the more charming cities on the Baltic (granted, I haven't been to that many). I would think a rail link south to the continent would be more useful for Finland than a long route through Sweden, especially with Stockholm bottleneck (assume freight would run west and down to the south somehow, but then you'd have to go through Copenhagen) it would be a straight shot into Central Europe.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users