Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Does VIA provide hotels when Canadian is delayed 12 hours at origin?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:54 PM

They must keep the station open after closing time.  I have seen some middle of the night origin departures.  I saw a 2:30 AM departure out of Vancouver, certainly hope passenger were allowed to go to their rooms and not wait until 2 AM.

#22 mcropod

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:27 AM

I arrived in Toronto Union Station on Via Train #2 at 0200h on 18 May, around seventeen hours after scheduled arrival time of 0930h the day before.

Every passenger was turfed from the train, and then the station. The lounge was not open and we were all hustled out of the otherwise closed station toot sweet.

We went to a nearby posh hotel and squatted in their lobby, thanks to the good graces of the front desk fellow, taking sympathy on our place in the life-experience spectrum.

It was a very poor show from Via Rail, IMHO.

BTW, as I re-entered the station later that morning, around 0800h or so, I saw those about to board the turn-around Train#1, standing in a queue for their train, which was due to depart at 2230h the previous day. They did not depart until after noon, ten hours late.

#23 mcropod

mcropod

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:39 AM

They must keep the station open after closing time.  I have seen some middle of the night origin departures.  I saw a 2:30 AM departure out of Vancouver, certainly hope passenger were allowed to go to their rooms and not wait until 2 AM.

My Train #2 was delayed out of Vancouver. The previous day I’d been sent an email telling me of the delay and not to show up until several hours after its initial advice, and then another email on the day of departure to delay my arrival until near midnight.

I suspect most pax arrived before then - I know I did. Via Rail’s tiny lounge was too small to cope, and tables and chairs were made available outside, by the platforms, but separated from them by a fence. OK on that balmy mid-May evening, but likely not much fun on a colder night.

Via Rail brought in some cold cuts and bread - more than enough to keep the hungries at bay. The station might well have been closed otherwise, I didn’t check.

About an hour before actual departure time (which was around 0130h from memory), we were boarded.

#24 FreeskierInVT

FreeskierInVT

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

When I took the Canadian last summer, we were quite delayed coming east. Our scheduled arrival to Winnipeg was 20:45 but we didn't arrive until about 5:30am the next day. Passengers boarding in Winnipeg were allowed to remain in the station overnight.

Amtrak Routes taken: Vermonter (39), Ethan Allen Express (12), Northeast Regional (22), Acela Express (4; 2 BC/2 FC), Cardinal (1), Capitol Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited-Boston (1), Lake Shore Limited- New York (2), Empire Builder- Seattle (1), Empire Builder- Portland (1), Coast Starlight (1), California Zephyr (1), Amtrak Cascades (2), Downeaster (11; 5 w/ Dome Car), Adirondack (4; 1 w/ Dome Car), Hiawatha (2),  Maple Leaf (1), Keystone (3), Pennsylvanian (1), Springfield Shuttle (6), Autumn Express (Nov. 3, 2013);

VIA Rail Canada: Canadian (4), Skeena (2), Ocean (4), Corridor (2) - Canada Youth 150 Pass 2017

Total Amtrak/VIA mileage: 39,204 // 2018: 12,632 // 2017: 9,496 // 2016: 2,702 // 2015: 362 // 2014: 7,858 // 2013: 6,154

#25 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:42 AM

When I took the Canadian last summer, we were quite delayed coming east. Our scheduled arrival to Winnipeg was 20:45 but we didn't arrive until about 5:30am the next day. Passengers boarding in Winnipeg were allowed to remain in the station overnight.

Seems like that 7 hour delay is pretty minor, given 12 or 20 hour delays are common. I could sort of see why they didn't bother providing hotels in that case. The 10+ hour delays, on the other hand.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users