Held for payment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I want to take an Acela round trip PVD to NYP how many days before can I call to make the reservation and have it held for payment?

From the Amtrak website:

It is not possible to put reservations made on Amtrak.com and the mobile applications on “hold.” Reservations must be paid for at the time of booking. However, in some cases reservations made at a staffed station or by telephone can be paid for at a future date. Tickets must be paid for and picked up by the “hold limit date” prior to travel or the reservation will be canceled. To pay for a reservation on hold you can call 1-800-USA-RAIL or go to a staffed station.

It really doesn't answer your question because you specifically mentioned a phone reservation....I guess it requires a phone call to get a definite answer.

I put a hold on a reservation yesterday for travel in December, and I have 7 days to pay. I seem to recall that previously, I was granted a 3 day hold, when the travel date was closer in time. It often depends on the length of time before your travel date. I believe that the computerized reservation system (and not the agent) makes the determination.

Hope the fare delta is worth it to you. The Acela from PVD to NYP runs maybe 20 to 25 minutes faster than the regional. I've taken the Acela from WAS to NWK and WAS to NYP and found the regional almost a better bet because the Regional usually has some open seats in Business whereas the Acela is almost always full in Business.

Hope the fare delta is worth it to you. The Acela from PVD to NYP runs maybe 20 to 25 minutes faster than the regional. I've taken the Acela from WAS to NWK and WAS to NYP and found the regional almost a better bet because the Regional usually has some open seats in Business whereas the Acela is almost always full in Business.
You taking about Acela’s “Business Class” that they say is business but isn’t really business and is just coach, or Acela “First Class” which really is the Business Class option? Ah, how I love Amtrak naming...

Back