Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

1962 View of the Future of Train Travel in the US

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:04 PM

This is from a 64 page booklet (5 1/2" x 8 1/4") published by the American Geographical Society, from the series "Know Your America Program" published in 1963 by Nelson Doubleday, Inc.

The title of this booklet is "The American Railroads" by John C. Weaver, Dean Graduate College, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Nebraska.

At the end of the booklet is a section titled "Today and Tomorrow."

Nearly ninety percent of the total revenue earned by the railways is derived from the hauling of freight, and no other region in the world gives origin to a volume of railroad freight comparable to that of the Northeast United States.

The dominating termini of transportation in this section of our country are Chicago and New York.

Within this per-eminent axis, by far the heaviest traffic movement over any single route in the nation is along the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad between New York and Pittsburgh.

Although the American railway system has reached maturity, the days of rapid change and pioneer development are far from ended. In 1962 the railroads spent almost a billion dollars on plant improvement, and in future years they plan to spend about 1 1/2 billion dollars each year to provide a modern and competitive plant.

New high-speed, low gravity passenger trains are appearing, and an already 90% Dieselized system is beginning to look forward to the use of atomic power in the propulsion of locomotives.

Edited by Rover, 19 April 2018 - 01:05 PM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#2 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:51 PM

Not so far-fetched....

Indian Point nuclear energy plant + P32AC-DM locomotives =   "Atomic Powered Locomotive"  ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,483 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

In that sense, France is crawling with many atomic powered trains including some of the world's premier high speed trains. ;)

#4 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

Not so far-fetched....

Indian Point nuclear energy plant + P32AC-DM locomotives =   "Atomic Powered (Glow In The Dark)  Locomotive"  ;)

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users