Chicago Union Station Metro Lounge (Snacks) Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montana mike

Conductor
We are currently waiting to catch the Empire Builder and sitting comfortably in the Chi Town Metro Lounge in Union Station, but I have noticed the nice array of snacks and nibbles that they used to have for Lounge visitors has not yet appeared (it's noon local time). When we passed thru on our way east last week we also spent some time in the same lounge and all they had available then were a few peanuts and a very spicy trail mix that was almost inedible. The wine that had been gratis during our earlier visits was now only available for sale.

The Metro Lounge opened with such fanfare and expectations last year. Is Amtrak "cheapening out" again? I know I should resist the comparison, but when I visit the United and Alaskan Air first class lounges there is an abundance of light snacks, adult beverages and even sandwiches and desserts. Am I expecting too much?

:-(

PS: Just minutes after I finished posting my message they are beginning to put out a few items, so we should have some veggies and cheese bites to work on now. The person putting the stuff out said they are running late. I hate to knock what they are doing, since this lounge is light years better than the previous one, but Amtrak has an opportunity for a real showcase here and I believe they are missing the chance to make a great statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Builder now and hoping to leave on time.

It's not that the "food" experience is bad in the Metro Lounge. For what they offer it's certainly OK. But they could kick things up a notch just a little with perhaps a rotation of different items (we were offered Broccoli, Cauliflower, carrot sticks and the same three cheeses that I have consumed over the past many months. I know Amtrak is watching their pennies, but with a little imagination they could make what is now a very pleasant time in the new Metro Lounge into something that people would truly remember!

PS: I somewhat agree with the "junk food" comment. The healthy stuff is indeed good for us all, but a little indulgence every now and then wouldn't hurt, after all most of the folks traveling are on vacation. :)

When I was in the metro lounge last year, they basically had nothing. Some soft drinks, crappy candy and they may have had those fish crackers. That was about it.

It's S.O.P. for the cheese and veggies be put out at 12:30. The nut mixes usually are put out after the "buffet" is taken down, which is around 1:30-2 or even later depending on how long the daily allotment lasts. They've also normally had sesame sticks available. From what montana mike posted, it doesn't sound like anything has changed since I was there last in February or the dozen or so previous times regarding food. One thing that was different when I was there last time was that wine, as mike mentioned. I'm not a wine drinker, so no biggie to me that it's not free anymore. I'll be there two and three weeks from tomorrow and expect the routine to be the same.

They should have pretzels, chips, goldfish, etc. They have plenty in the NYP ClubAcela and I imagine I'm not the only person who would take that over a bowl of cauliflower any day of the week. If you're starting a trip or finishing up a trip, most people don't really need a healthy option. It's nice to have one, but I just feel like it misses the point.

The problem with the bagged snacks is that people stuff their bags and purses with them so they don't have to buy them at any point later on their trip. Maybe they should put them loose into dispensers like Chicago has for the nuts and trail mix. I actually like both types of snacks, but will admit that peoples preferences (overall) have shifted to wanting lighter and healthier choices.

The problem with the bagged snacks is that people stuff their bags and purses with them so they don't have to buy them at any point later on their trip. Maybe they should put them loose into dispensers like Chicago has for the nuts and trail mix. I actually like both types of snacks, but will admit that peoples preferences (overall) have shifted to wanting lighter and healthier choices.
Has to come in a dispenser or I would not touch it. Some people have filthy hygiene habits. That is why I avoid buffets like the plague. Because you might just get it by eating at one.
default_wink.png

I agree. The dispensers work really well for that. Open bowls would be dirty, and in the other locations, bagged snacks get stolen The bank on my corner just took out their keurig because customers would steal the boxes of coffee. Too bad they won't post the pictures from the cameras.

I'm not gonna lie that when I was last at ClubAcela (boarding the SM to WPB), I grabbed a couple little bags of chips for the ride, but I doubt many people will take much more than that.

I agree. The dispensers work really well for that. Open bowls would be dirty, and in the other locations, bagged snacks get stolen The bank on my corner just took out their keurig because customers would steal the boxes of coffee. Too bad they won't post the pictures from the cameras.
It bugs me to no end when I see people "stealing" huge handfuls of napkins or ketchup packets. I had a friend that would steal salad dressing packets. She would "justify" it somehow but it was nonsense. Not like she couldn't afford to buy her own dressing.

I'm not gonna lie that when I was last at ClubAcela (boarding the SM to WPB), I grabbed a couple little bags of chips for the ride, but I doubt many people will take much more than that.
So you feel it’s ok to take more than you’ll eat in the lounge? SMH

I also I also hoard the packets in the CA. And I’m not the only one.

Whenever they restock the snacks in the NYP Club Acela, within 5 minutes (if lucky) it is empty. The reason is that most people grab 2-4 packs and put them in their bags.

I for one am glad for the more healthy options available. Yes, I am on vacation but I still want to eat healthy when I can. I am just glad there are some healthy choices on the menu on the trains themselves.

We were a group of 3 in a nearly empty ClubAcela. They had a mountain of pretzel and chip bags so we grabbed one for the train and I ate another one as I left. Had there been more people in the lounge or fewer bags available, I wouldn’t have done so.

Back