Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1527 replies to this topic

#1521 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

You are correct, I remember it to.

#1522 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:30 PM

I ordered a kosher meal once. Everything was soft and bland. I said to myself, this reminds me of something. Wait, wait, don't tell me -- a hospital meal! Then it dawned on me, of course, same meals go to hospitals and senior homes for patients who order them there.

#1523 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:08 PM

I ordered a kosher meal once. Everything was soft and bland. I said to myself, this reminds me of something. Wait, wait, don't tell me -- a hospital meal! Then it dawned on me, of course, same meals go to hospitals and senior homes for patients who order them there.

That has been my experience as well.  On US airlines the special meals often resemble a subset of hospital codes that taste the same or worse than the standard airline meal.  In other cases they're little more than a random assortment of sides that may or may not match the letter or spirit of what you actually ordered.  That being said, there are some carriers that provide useful options such as FPML (Fruit Platter) that are easy to understand and which work out well as practical alternatives to the high salt/fat options.

#1524 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Im so confused by this logic. Im just picturing someone pre-ordering a Kosher meal, hanging up the phone and then doing an evil-Villian laugh going "ha! No vegan wrap for me! I tricked them into giving me a better meal!"

How do you know that it would be a better meal? Kosher does not necessarily mean better.
This used to be a good travel hack in the 90s because coach meals where absolutely terrible. So ordering a special meal meant there was a decent chance you'd get a higher quality meal with better ingredients (or at least something with fruit). However airlines in the last several years have really made an effort to upgrade their food quality so now that special meal is no longer any better (and might be worse) than the standard meal offerings.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#1525 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

Im so confused by this logic. Im just picturing someone pre-ordering a Kosher meal, hanging up the phone and then doing an evil-Villian laugh going "ha! No vegan wrap for me! I tricked them into giving me a better meal!"

How do you know that it would be a better meal? Kosher does not necessarily mean better.
This used to be a good travel hack in the 90s because coach meals where absolutely terrible. So ordering a special meal meant there was a decent chance you'd get a higher quality meal with better ingredients (or at least something with fruit). However airlines in the last several years have really made an effort to upgrade their food quality so now that special meal is no longer any better (and might be worse) than the standard meal offerings.

Airline coach meal quality can vary a lot in my experience, not just among different airlines but also different airports, and they're not all getting better.

I've been happy with coach meals on EVA, Singapore, and Thai but I've found Japan Airlines, All Nippon, and Korean Air coach meals to be rather bad and take a look at this "breakfast" on United Airlines from a couple years ago...

post-3930-0-62242400-1430416469.jpg

Even if you're flying the best airline in the world the food will probably leave a lot to be desired if you're departing a culinary wasteland like Moscow or Manila.

#1526 frequentflyer

frequentflyer

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

https://www.forbes.c...u/#1efdfafc79c1

and

https://www.usatoday...menu/704269002/

Edited by frequentflyer, 19 June 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#1527 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

For perspective, if not yet read, I highly recommend the book Formerly Known As Food

Edited by KmH, 19 June 2018 - 02:44 PM.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#1528 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,066 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:19 AM

Given changes coming in July, this topic has been closed and discussion can be continued in the new topic:

July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

• Ryan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users