Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1527 replies to this topic

#1421 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,520 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

and dump the rest.

Or maybe offer it to someone in need when you get off the train.

Just what I need. More crap to carry after I get off of the train to hand to some pan handler.

#1422 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

On a train like the CL, you get breakfast but no lunch, not a stretch to see a few items stashed. I have a half bottle of wine left from dinner, you get a decent size bottle, not a single glass.

#1423 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

and dump the rest.

Just what I need. More crap to carry after I get off of the train to hand to some pan handler.

Haha! Exactly.
"Oh Here's the greens from my salad and some non-skinned pototes I was served 14 hours ago. Enjoy!"

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#1424 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

On a train like the CL, you get breakfast but no lunch, not a stretch to see a few items stashed. I have a half bottle of wine left from dinner, you get a decent size bottle, not a single glass.

Has that been confirmed by anyone?

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#1425 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

Has that been confirmed by anyone?

Probably himself.  He was just on the CL.

#1426 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:17 PM

Oh that's right! Ha. I forgot it was him.

Pvd- where did you detrain? Can you confirm that no lunch is offered on the Eastbound CL?

#1427 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:24 PM

Oh that's right! Ha. I forgot it was him.

Pvd- where did you detrain? Can you confirm that no lunch is offered on the Eastbound CL?

He detrained in WAS and the train was running, I think 3 hours, late due to the downed tree in PA, and he said there was no lunch.

#1428 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

Ahh interesting. I was hoping they would serve a lunch on the CL since even when it's on time it's during lunch hours. Shame.

(It always annoyed me how every time I rode the Capitol it was a different rule enforced by each crew. One of the diner crews told me that the actual rule was they had to remain open until Harpers Ferry, regardless of the time. Not sure if that was actually the rule, but it seemed to make sense to me.)

#1429 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

I was interviewed by a line service manager about the meal service, and I did bring up the lunch question. She told me that they ran a long breakfast normally, but if the train was very late, they would offer sleeper passengers a simplified lunch service. (burger, veggie burger, hot dog) With the current setup, there isn't really anything to offer, no lunch is on board to offer. 

#1430 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:05 PM

Which is a major downgrade. Going from a simplified lunch (or, as was the case sometimes a "brunch") to "sorry we don't have anything to offer you"

#1431 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:42 AM

and dump the rest.

Haha! Exactly. "Oh Here's the greens from my salad and some non-skinned pototes I was served 14 hours ago. Enjoy!"

I've handed various items from my included sleeper meals to coach passengers before.   Mainly canned drinks and desserts but sometimes salads or sandwiches and whatnot.  Took all of five minutes and never had anything returned yet.

• cpotisch likes this

#1432 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

Yes, it is. I was told they are trying to work out a system to get food aboard down the line if they know the train will be very late early enough into the trip. Might not have helped us, it may have been too late into the trip when the delays piled on, but at least they are aware that it is a legit issue.

#1433 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:54 AM

Beef stew with rice? Or KFC.

Oh wait the beef stew needs a cook...

#1434 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

Beef stew with rice? Or KFC.

Oh wait the beef stew needs a cook...

What do you mean? Dinty Moore is canned and doesn't require much cooking at all. It's served when they can't get food to the train. So it doesn't really need a cook. And they don't choose one over the other. Sorry if I missed something.

Edited by cpotisch, 13 June 2018 - 07:07 AM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#1435 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:14 AM

Late trains have (use to) carry beef stew, and bags of rice. If the train was very late, the dining crew would prepare a meal of Beef Stew on Rice for the passengers.

KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) seem to be the go to place when the coolers fail on a train. So if your diner is unable to provide you a meal. KFC is a common replacement.

No cook on the Capital Limited due to the box meal plan, nobody to prepare a meal of Beef Stew for a late arrival in Washington DC.

Nice edit change your ? to a long drawn out statement.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 13 June 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#1436 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,720 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

I guess now they will have to carry jumbo bags of Lays, Cheetos and Beef Jerky or something like that as emergency ration. :unsure:

#1437 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,677 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:57 AM

I guess now they will have to carry jumbo bags of Lays, Cheetos and Beef Jerky or something like that as emergency ration. :unsure:

Or....some surplus "MRE"'s from the Defense Department.... :P

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#1438 Tarm

Tarm

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

and dump the rest.

Haha! Exactly. "Oh Here's the greens from my salad and some non-skinned pototes I was served 14 hours ago. Enjoy!"

I've handed various items from my included sleeper meals to coach passengers before.   Mainly canned drinks and desserts but sometimes salads or sandwiches and whatnot.  Took all of five minutes and never had anything returned yet.

That is just the point. I wouldn't have to dump anything if I only took what I wanted. Amtrak needs to unbox the boxed meals. The SCA could take every ones order plus a dinner time. Passengers could walk to the diner car, hand over the order form to the "server" and he could box up the meal that you ordered. Everything is in closed containers already so it is just a matter of putting the chosen items into a serving box. This is already done with the drinks, Amtrak just needs to extend it to the food items.

• cpotisch and AcrossTheOcean like this

#1439 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

On the CL, the SCA was trying to do some of that. He was filling out slips and bringing them to the diner so some advance work could get done and folks could just walk in and pick up.  A single LSA had difficulty keeping up because drinks have to be prepared, some people want the meals on trays to sit with, some want tote bags, and the SCA has to run some back to peoples' rooms. Plus, because there is no control over when you can get food, 10 people can show up at once, as well as the pre order slips from the SCA and then no one for a half hour. At the same time, people walk in for comp non alcoholic beverages, or their free drink or wine.

• cpotisch likes this

#1440 tommylicious

tommylicious

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:51 PM

On the CL, the SCA was trying to do some of that. He was filling out slips and bringing them to the diner so some advance work could get done and folks could just walk in and pick up.  A single LSA had difficulty keeping up because drinks have to be prepared, some people want the meals on trays to sit with, some want tote bags, and the SCA has to run some back to peoples' rooms. Plus, because there is no control over when you can get food, 10 people can show up at once, as well as the pre order slips from the SCA and then no one for a half hour. At the same time, people walk in for comp non alcoholic beverages, or their free drink or wine.

Really don't like the sound of this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users