Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

• Please log in to reply
915 replies to this topic

#901 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted Yesterday, 03:23 PM

No one has yet commented (that I have seen) on the new cold meals for gluten free or wheat free passengers.  It is probable that special meals of this type would be salads.  But if one is truly taking a long trip, salads at each meal just don't cut it.  Look at a train like the Lake Shore Limited.  An end-point to end-point ride involves numerous meals and an all-salad menu doesn't sound appetizing.  And what if this menu was implemented on multi-day western trains?  That could kill the deal as far as long distance travel. 

Many of us have spouses with whom we take train trips.  I've taken my wife along for years and she has always enjoyed the dining car experience.  If that is gone, it will be difficult for me to get her on a train.

The Lake Shore Limited, and for the most the part, the Capitol, only serve two meals. So if any trains are to get this menu, I'm pretty glad it's those. That said, this menu is pretty much unacceptable for passengers with dietary restrictions. As I've said multiple times, if you don't eat meat you will not have any choice when you order. The gluten free selection is also pretty limited, but I feel like it could be worse.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#902 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,522 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Do we even know any more what the actual "This menu" is going to be, now that the sneak preview has been removed? Or did the same one or a different one appear again while I was not looking?

#903 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,522 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Here is a nice Op-Ed on the subject, put together by Carl Fowler, one of the Vice-Chairs of RPA.

https://urbanmilwauk...vice-a-mistake/

Edited by jis, Yesterday, 03:35 PM.

• Rail Freak likes this

#904 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:01 PM

JIS- I have not commented on this thread before, but am disgusted by these idiotic “ experiments. “ Having just ridden the Cardinal this past week, I understand why On this type of car why conventional meals are not served. I found the cuisine, except for the hot roast beef sandwich, definitely sub par. And the same menu is on the CONO. Shame on these blasted bureaucrats. I will say the Cardinal is an interesting ride and the crews were good.
  • jis likes this
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#905 NE933

NE933

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 PM

There is a posting on Trainorders.com that suggests good news on this front. Read it for yourselves.

#906 Yumacool

Yumacool

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

True, but breakfast can be the worst meal for gluten free people eating pre-packaged meals, for they can't eat muffins or breakfast sandwiches.

#907 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,174 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Yesterday, 04:47 PM

There is a posting on Trainorders.com that suggests good news on this front. Read it for yourselves.

There is nothing new there. It has already been noted here that the menus are gone.

We’ll know what that means in 10 days or less.
  • texline likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#908 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:54 PM

True, but breakfast can be the worst meal for gluten free people eating pre-packaged meals, for they can't eat muffins or breakfast sandwiches.

If the menu previously on-line is accurate, a Kashi Bar and a Kind Bar will be offered for breakfast.  I know that many Kind Bars are gluten free and I believe many Kashi Bars are as well. Since I have food allergies, I always travel with "bars."

Amtrak miles: 233,112; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#909 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,522 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

All that one can surmise is something may be changing in the plans. But we will not know for sure until the proverbial fat lady sings.

All that I have heard is that there may have been some pointed Congressional intervention for a few individuals since the last time I paid attention to this. There has also been some pointed Congressional intervention on the issue of certain station agents or lack thereof. The results of that are also not known at present. Again, the fat lady has gotta sing first!

Edited by jis, Yesterday, 06:03 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

#910 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Has it ever happened before that Amtrak decided to retract a change like this due to customer backlash, even before its actually in place? My guess is no, and I highly doubt that the removal of the new menus is indicative of anything significant. Probably no more then a typo or slight difference in the offerings, the way I see it...

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#911 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 PM

All that one can surmise is something may be changing in the plans. But we will not know for sure until the proverbial fat lady sings.

All that I have heard is that there may have been some pointed Congressional intervention for a few individuals since the last time I paid attention to this. There has also been some pointed Congressional intervention on the issue of certain station agents or lack thereof. The results of that are also not known at oppresent.

I will note there have been some slight tweaks to the press release, there is now no more reference to the kind of food that might be served. This leads me to believe Amtrak is tweaking the menu but not changing the overall pilot program.

• jis, tricia and cpotisch like this

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#912 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:13 PM

All that I have heard is that there may have been some pointed Congressional intervention for a few individuals since the last time I paid attention to this. There has also been some pointed Congressional intervention on the issue of certain station agents or lack thereof. The results of that are also not known at oppresent.

I will note there have been some slight tweaks to the press release, there is now no more reference to the kind of food that might be served. This leads me to believe Amtrak is tweaking the menu but not changing the overall pilot program.
Good eye. I had meant to check for that, buuuuut I’m lazy. ;) Well hopefully the changes aren’t worse.

#913 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,522 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Considering that if the pilot program merely uses the food items served on the LSL or Cardinal now, I would be a perfectly happy camper, any change in the menu in that direction would be a welcome change. I am not much of a salad person, and I will just have to convert to my Silver Star mode of operation iff they stick with the previously seen menu. Too bad it won't be with the lowered Sleeper fare.

#914 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:42 PM

It will be a sad day when the only long distance public transport in this country is a cramped, probably low-quality bus, or a crowded, cramped airplane with security.

At least Amtrak coach is roomy, and you can walk around and get food on board.

The Primera Plus buses in Mexico beat anything this country has to offer.

#915 Tony in Ann Arbor

Tony in Ann Arbor

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

I have no problem with the dining car personnel on the Cardinal but we have stopped riding it because of the menu selections, quality of the food, and poor planning and stocking practices.  I don't care for for the proposed choices (at least the menu we have seen) for the Capitol and Lake Shore, but emulating the Cardinal's menu is only a minor improvement on those choices.

• greatcats and Devil's Advocate like this

#916 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted Today, 08:04 AM

I am sure I am the only person on here who really likes the Cardinal menu, but I do. If it's the same as when I rode it last year, I had the penne pasta with meatballs for lunch and the Chinese noodles in cashew sauce for dinner, and they were both good. And the omelet for breakfast was just the same as the omelet on any other LD train. If those choices were on the Cap or Lake Shore, I would consider it a step up from the cold stuff they are planning.

I also had the Railroad French toast when I did a short trip in a roomette from TRE to ALX (same cost as business class on the Regional, so took advantage of that before someone in charge figures that out). But, to be fair, that was more like dessert (I had an egg sandwich in the station before the train arrived).

Of course, as many of you know, I cook just about everything in the microwave, so it kind of felt like being at home :).

• cpotisch likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users