Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

• Please log in to reply
933 replies to this topic

#21 Northeastern292

Northeastern292

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:see my social networking profiles: too many to list!

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

Very disappointed. I remember my first LD trip and having the French toast while crossing Indiana on the Capitol Limited. I hope this move backfires.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

#22 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Definitely going the airline model here... This is way better than the Silver Star as their are some upgrades (the amenity kit, soft drinks and alcahol) along with the downgrade.
  • seat38a and daybeers like this

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#23 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,853 posts
  • Interests:Looking at GPS to find out where I am at!

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:59 PM

I see what they say for sleeper passengers,but what about coachpassengers?:huh: Is the only choice for food items the cafe? That is what I read.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#24 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

If anything, this program will probably a variation of what they already do on the EB. I'll take this over any microwaved TV dinner on a plastic plate.

Boxed Meal Provided Out Of PDX

17432538604_4af2b56bd2_c.jpg

17868902539_05dc7b4873_c.jpg

Fried Chicken Loaded In Whitefish MT (This one had to be paid for. Not included.)

17870992229_7d710ffedc_c.jpg

Other traveler's pic

100694740_d42ff99f52_z.jpg

img_0685.jpg

#25 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

I see what they say for sleeper passengers,but what about coachpassengers? :huh: Is the only choice for food items the cafe? That is what I read.

Well the post says "Private Lounge or Cafe." Not sure what that means. I could mean no coach passengers in the car or a dedicated lounge or just bad wording. I would hope it does not mean that they will be throwing all the coach passengers out of the lounge/cafe during meal hours.

• cpotisch and AcrossTheOcean like this

#26 CAQuail

CAQuail

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

While I am trying to reserve judgement until we actually see the meals, it most likely means that my trip on the Lake Shore Limited next week will be my last. A meal in the dinning car is one of the pleasures of traveling by overnight train.  It was a good run while it lasted, 30 plus trips on the Lake Shore and Capitol.

#27 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

So.... where do all the new Viewliner diners wind up then?

• City of Miami, acelafan, tricia and 3 others like this

#28 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

I love the corporate spin that Amtrak always does --- instead of the headline being "Dining Cars being Pulled"... it's "Fresh, New Contemporary Choices Coming Soon".

It's yet another Amtrak DOWNGRADE that we have seen time and time again with "America's Railroad" since around 2010 --- newspapers, wine tastings on the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder, trains with their own different menus, juice choices, Silver Star-vation, ready-to-heat meals on the City of New Orleans and Cardinal, Pacific Parlour Cars, giving private car owners a hard time, and on and on.

We haven't taken the train east very much in recent years, and certainly won't anymore.

#29 rrdude

rrdude

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • Interests:I like riding trains, in First Class, Sleeper, or Coach. (If just a short jaunt) I expect courteous service, equipment that works, arriving close to "on time", & clean windows. Is that too much to ask for?

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:13 PM

So.... where do all the new Viewliner diners wind up then?

Brightline!  :blink:

#30 amtrakpass

amtrakpass

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Looks like coach passengers will not be able to purchase these meals and will only have the current cafe menu available according to a response from Amtrak customer service posted on another forum. And it looks like they are all cold anyway! The idea that this is a short trip and doesn't need decent meal service is false in my opinion. When I have taken the train east from Chicago, I would be awake by 6 or 7 am which leaves a full 12 hours on the train until new york. Vice versa I always have a meal in the diner westbound out of new york. And the social factor shouldn't be overlooked. I have always found it a lot of fun to meet and share a meal with fellow travelers whether they are in coach or sleeper.

#31 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

I’ll miss breakfast the most. All of these choices look and sound like they will taste like crap. I will skip both trains until there is a return to decent food.

Edited by pennyk, 19 April 2018 - 04:25 PM.
changed a possibly objectionable word with permission of Steve

• Devil's Advocate likes this

#32 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

Wow, just wow.
  • cpotisch likes this

#33 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

Cut it out Anderson! And to think I was hoping for improved meals on the LSL, with the delivery of the V-II diners. But now we've got the removal of dining cars, cold meals, and a much more limited selection. I can appreciate the free booze and unlimited soft drinks, but for me, that's just not worth it. I definitely am wondering what the options will be for coach pax (I'm not optimistic). Fortunately, the LSL and Cap aren't particularly long routes, but this kind of thing really strikes me as unacceptable for ANY overnight route.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#34 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:48 PM

It could be worse, but it shouldnt. This is disgusting. And what about the 25 new dining cars still rolling off the lot?

#35 blueman271

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Traveling and the Miami Dolphins

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

There is no way of saying that without seeing what the meals are like. Unlimited soda and (limited) free booze are an upgrade.

Soda and free booze are not an upgrade to those of us who don't drink soda or liquor. I want my eggs! (Although, to be fair, Amtrak's eggs don't compare with a real breakfast cooked in a real breakfast restaurant or--you knew this was coming--a south Jersey diner! :P .)

Yes but the free booze should keep you feeling nice and warm until your destination  ;)

Not sure that a single nightcap will keep me warm all the way to my destination.  :ph34r:
I firmly exercise my privilege as a sleeping car passenger and stop at BevMo before boarding  :P
What is BevMo?
Its a west coast thing. They specialize in wine/beer/alcohol. Think Liquor Store but big bright and the size of a supermarket.

So it’s the same as a Total Wine.

Back on topic any chance they will roll this out on the Star?
Pride Runs Deep

#36 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

New consists:
29/30 Capital Limited:
Diesels - P42s
Baggage - 61000 series
TransDorm - 39000 series
Sleepers - 32000 series
*Sleeper Lounge
*Sightseer Lounge - 33000 series
Coaches - 31000/34000 series

48/49 Lake Shore Limited:
Diesels - P42s/P32
Baggage(BOS) - 61000 series
Sleeper(BOS) - 62000 series
*Cafe/Business(BOS) - 48100 series
Coaches(BOS) - 25000 series
Coaches - 25000 series
*Sleeper Lounge - 68000 series [New CAF diner operating as a sleeper lounge, something that has been foreshadowed here for some time now]
Sleepers - 62000 series
Baggage - 61000 series

(*) staffed with one Lead Service Attendant(LSA)

#37 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

Cut it out Anderson!

Be careful what you wish for! 😅
  • Ryan, Chey and cpotisch like this
Amtrak Miles Traveled: 86162--City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, Cascades, Crescent, Capital Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited,  Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal, Vermonter, Northeast Regional, Downeaster. 
Pre-Amtrak Miles Traveled:8478-- North Coast Limited, Panama Limited, Empire Builder, Abraham Lincoln, City of Hinkle

#38 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:24 PM

Wait.... So we are losing a "full service diner" but adding a "staffed sleeper lounge" ???

Honestly this may come out as a wash in my book. If done right maybe even a positive.
  • tricia, seat38a and Chey like this

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#39 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

A sleeper lounge that serves limited cold meal options. Sounds like dead weight.

The press release is confusing because I read it as being delivered to the actual rooms.

#40 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

A sleeper lounge that serves limited cold meal options. Sounds like dead weight .

Compared to a diner that serves limited hot meals but requires triple or quadruple the staff?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users