Change means cancel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should have posted this weeks ago but ... I had a NEC paid reservation. I changed the date and time of one portion of the trip. The trip still happened. The reservation number never changed. Yet the amtrak rep said sorry you CANCELED and charged me 25% penalty fee! I let it go cuz I didn't feel like making a stink but now changes are really cancellations? Or was it rep error?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last week I changed my Acela Boston connection from the Crescent at NYP from the 3pm Acela to the 7pm Acela because of the terrible timekeeping of the Crescent, and there was no charge or penalty for the modification.

Just information.

It seems like rep error to me. You modified your reservation and all NEC fares state there is no change fee. Your reservation may still be on file. Call back.

Last edited by a moderator:
To "modify" your reservation, you should not have been charged a change fee or a cancellation fee. To modify a reservation you are not canceling the reservation. I just had this issue with a hotel, change the stay from two nights to one. The agent tried to tell me the only way to change/modify a reservation is to cancel the reservation. After 20 minutes of trying to get her to transfer me, I politely hung up, called back, made the modification in less than a minute with a knowledgeable agent.

There potentially would be a refund fee if changing from the original train/fare to a new train at a lower fare. There are now situations where a refund fee is charged even if selecting an eVoucher. Thanks for traveling AmAir, have a pleasant flight.

Amtrak does not have any change fee. This was indeed a rep error. As was mentioned, call, make it VERY CLEAR that you want to MODIFY your reservation, and make sure there's no fee. If they say there is, talk to a manager.

Or Amroad - ala Silver Streak!

Welcome to Chicago!
default_mosking.gif

Amtrak does not have any change fee. This was indeed a rep error. As was mentioned, call, make it VERY CLEAR that you want to MODIFY your reservation, and make sure there's no fee. If they say there is, talk to a manager.
You have absolutely no grounds to declare an employee made an error. Are you a qualified reservation sales agent? Nope. Miscommunication maybe about the type of fare purchased or how it was processed, maybe. There are so many different scenarios with existing reservations still in play that were made when previous refund policies were in effect and now there are the new policies, and the new new policies. Without having the reservation particulars there is no definitive decree to be made.

Refund fees: Yes

Cancelation fees: Yes

Change fees: Coming soon

You have absolutely no grounds to declare an employee made an error. Are you a qualified reservation sales agent? Nope. Miscommunication maybe about the type of fare purchased or how it was processed, maybe. There are so many different scenarios with existing reservations still in play that were made when previous refund policies were in effect and now there are the new policies, and the new new policies. Without having the reservation particulars there is no definitive decree to be made.Refund fees: Yes

Cancelation fees: Yes

Change fees: Coming soon
He asked to change his reservation. The rep cancelled the res and charged the OP a fee. Amtrak does not have any change fee and to my knowledge never has. I'm not a qualified sales agent, never claimed to be, probably never will be, but that has no connection to whether or not this agent made a mistake.

It most certainly does, since it means that you have neither knowledge of all of the rules involved nor of the specifics of the situation.

Truly, you have no grounds whatsoever to state unequivocally that the employee was in error.

You would do well in this thread and others to understand the limits of your knowledge before making broad factual statements.

Either the OP made a mistake, or the rep did. Amtrak policy clearly states that there aren't change fees, so my knowledge of Amtrak's internal workings isn't relevant. It is correct that there are cancellation fees, but that only applies if it was cancelled. My guess is that the rep misunderstood the OP's request and cancelled the reservation. The only alternative is that the OP didn't say to the agent what he recalls he said to the agent...

It most certainly does, since it means that you have neither knowledge of all of the rules involved nor of the specifics of the situation.

Truly, you have no grounds whatsoever to state unequivocally that the employee was in error.

You would do well in this thread and others to understand the limits of your knowledge before making broad factual statements.
Its pretty clear at this point that he/she makes it up as they go and has an opinion or something to say about everything. Expert in everything and qualified in nothing.

Either the OP made a mistake, or the rep did. Amtrak policy clearly states that there aren't change fees, so my knowledge of Amtrak's internal workings isn't relevant. It is correct that there are cancellation fees, but that only applies if it was cancelled. My guess is that the rep misunderstood the OP's request and cancelled the reservation. The only alternative is that the OP didn't say to the agent what he recalls he said to the agent...
There is a reason why I said "it seems" like rep error. We weren't there and we don't know if this comes into play:

There potentially would be a refund fee if changing from the original train/fare to a new train at a lower fare. There are now situations where a refund fee is charged even if selecting an eVoucher.
Although the OP didn't mention a refund, one may have existed, which may (or may not) be subjected to a fee. That is why I stated the reservation history may still exist and the OP should call back to see what happened.

There is a reason why I said "it seems" like rep error. We weren't there and we don't know if this comes into play:.
Point taken. Poor choice of words on my part.

PVD550 gave us their version of the exchange and what the result to them was. There was no discussion that the Agent was told, wait this is not what I wanted to do. The Agent could have been new, was confused or misunderstood, but in the end, if the customer isn't happy, then something was done wrong (procedure, expectations, etc.). Hopefully, a call back was made so an experienced supervisor could review the record for the true details and hopefully work things out to everyone's satisfaction. Customer Satisfaction is everything in Sales and sales support.

PVD550 gave us their version of the exchange and what the result to them was. There was no discussion that the Agent was told, wait this is not what I wanted to do. The Agent could have been new, was confused or misunderstood, but in the end, if the customer isn't happy, then something was done wrong (procedure, expectations, etc.). Hopefully, a call back was made so an experienced supervisor could review the record for the true details and hopefully work things out to everyone's satisfaction. Customer Satisfaction is everything in Sales and sales support.
I think OP should call back and request to speak with Acela 150....

I'm willing to "bet" in the future, people will pay more for things that require human assistance...within the scope of the law, of course.
default_happy.png

I guess that means when you call in and request specific rooms or two roomettes across from each other or three people in a bedroom or routings that are not on the website etc... it will cost more.

If that is going to be the case, then the website is going to have to be greatly improved from its current state. Many tasks and request cant be made on the website in its current state.

Amtrak may be thinking about a fee to use a "live' agent instead of using on-line system.. most airlines charge $25 for phone call reservations and $35 for reservations made at the airport, so Anderson may carry this over to Amtrak.

Airlines have introduced a variety of new fees for optional services and existing fees over the past decade, a GAO report focuses on changes to checked baggage fees and change/cancellation fees. According to this report, the revenue the major U.S. airlines made from these two fees increased from $6.3 billion in 2010 to $7.1 billion in 2016.

Why wouldn't Anderson look to increase revenue by the introduction of additional fees.

Amtrak may be thinking about a fee to use a "live' agent instead of using on-line system.. most airlines charge $25 for phone call reservations and $35 for reservations made at the airport, so Anderson may carry this over to Amtrak.

Airlines have introduced a variety of new fees for optional services and existing fees over the past decade, a GAO report focuses on changes to checked baggage fees and change/cancellation fees. According to this report, the revenue the major U.S. airlines made from these two fees increased from $6.3 billion in 2010 to $7.1 billion in 2016.

Why wouldn't Anderson look to increase revenue by the introduction of additional fees.
I swear to god...

Back