Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

MARC/NJ Transit Swap

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 twropr

twropr

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:47 PM

NJ Transit, which is short of cars, is sending a GP 40 to MARC.  MARC will be sending ten 1986-era single-level coaches.  The locomotive is the only compensation.

Anyone know which locomotive?  Why would MARC want another GP40?

Andy

#2 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Good question--it seems a bit one-sided to me, unless it's just MARC being a good neighbor.

We in NJ are looking forward to having another consist, but I think it's a short-term loan?

Anyone have pictures of the locomotive we're sending to MARC? Or of the consist they are sending us? (Wish it was the double-deckers, but you can't have everything, especially when someone is doing you a favor! :))

#3 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,037 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

Here are the coaches you’re getting... Attached File  IMG_5631.jpg   503.33KB   20 downloads
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#4 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

The only article I could find said it was an 8 week loan with a locomotive scheduled for retirement (by NJT) as compensation. 

#5 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:51 PM

This may upset MARC passengers.  Many days one or more MARC trains are short 1 or 2 cars causing overcrowding.  Can you hear MARC passengers ?  "  Giving away our cars so we can be more overcrowded ? " 

Edited by west point, 13 April 2018 - 04:54 PM.

#6 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Here are the coaches you’re getting... attachicon.gifIMG_5631.jpg

Thanks, Ryan. I don't know if I'll ever get to ride in it, because it will be traveling all over the system, but now I know what to look for. :)

This may upset MARC passengers.  Many days one or more MARC trains are short 1 or 2 cars causing overcrowding.  Can you hear MARC passengers ?  "  Giving away our cars so we can be more overcrowded ? " 

Probably why we're getting a single-level (maybe they hope nobody will notice it's not there! :P)

#7 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:02 PM

MARC has a pool of retired cars they have sent out to others before. They helped SEPTA during the Silverliner problem, they lease to the LIRR for summer surge, and have sent a few cars to AMTRAK. For whatever the reason, they are not used in MARC service, a question which somebody with a better knowledge of MARC hopefully can shed some light on.  AFAIK they have 26 cars 15 coach and 11 cab cars. Last summer the LIRR took 8 and have options for up to 21 for the next 2 summers. A few cab cars were going to AMTRAK for the GCT diversion. Depending on how many the LIRR optioned for this summer, and when the 8 weeks starts, there is likely no impact to MARC riders since these are unused cars. It does bring in a good buck, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users