Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Tehachapi Detour!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:27 PM

I have a ticket booked for one of the days that may detour. Fingers crossed we go through the Central Valley and not down the dramatic Coast Route.

"Regular" passenger's would be upset over the detour.... ;)

I suppose you are riding southbound?  Or perhaps round trip?

• cpotisch likes this
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#42 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

Sounds to me like the OP is riding northbound on the 28th

#43 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

Please post a trip report.

#44 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:14 AM

I just got a customer service alert for my upcoming trip on the Starlight.  The southbound (at least) will be detouring over Tehachapi 4/27-4/29.  I am on the southbound leaving Seattle 4/27, so will detour 4/28.

Any one the "UP trackwork" on the Coast line that is causing the detour.  This seems kind of last minute.

Sounds to me like the OP is riding northbound on the 28th

"OP",  meaning the original poster? ;)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#45 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Please post a trip report.

I've never done one proper, although I sort of did a "live from" report, on last year's Autumn Excursion....

Maybe I'll give it a try....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#46 p&sr

p&sr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Received this e-mail just now from Amtrak:

"Due to track work, the Coast Starlight will be rerouted April 27 through April 29  The reroute will run in both directions between Oakland and Los Angeles.  The train will run through the San Joaquin Valley, instead of along the coast, traveling through the historic Tehachapi Loop.  Departure and arrival times will remain the same.  We're sorry for the inconvenience."

I guess that makes it Official.  Last chance if anybody still wants to get on-board!

P&SR

"Keep 'em Rolling!"

#47 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Yesssss!  I just got the same call... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#48 p&sr

p&sr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

In spite of this, Northbound on Friday April 27 they're still selling tickets LAX to Salinas, so the notification is not entirely consistent...

P&SR

"Keep 'em Rolling!"

#49 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

I got the same phone call and email. Kudos to Amtrak for trying to reach people who may be disappointed about the detour.

#50 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:54 PM

I think the work window doesn't go into effect until Friday night, so it makes sense the northbound is still on the Coast Line. 

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr

Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited

Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal)

Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#51 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:05 PM

So the notice wasn't really clear...it only affects those departing on the 27th from the north end of the route traveling overnight beyond Oakland...and those departing that end on the 29th should be on the regular on the 30th.   In other words....11(27 and 28), and 14(28 and 29)....does that sound right?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#52 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 PM

I just got the phone notice today and it said both northbound and southbound and the dates.  The impression that gave was all Coast Starlight trains on the 27th, 28th, and 29th.  However, that may be a bit more of a blanket than it really is.  That announcement is also only going out to those passengers who are affected, so if they don't call people on 14 on the 27th, they won't be confused.  As I said above, my understanding is the work window does not go into effect until after the outbound rush hour on the 27th.

I haven't seen a general service advisory on this posted on Amtrak.com either.  Everything I have gotten is because I am an affected passenger :) , not as a general announcement.

Edited by zephyr17, Yesterday, 06:23 PM.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr

Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited

Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal)

Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#53 p&sr

p&sr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted Today, 09:53 AM

In other words....11(27 and 28), and 14(28 and 29)....does that sound right?

Also 11(29).

P&SR

"Keep 'em Rolling!"

#54 p&sr

p&sr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

I haven't seen a general service advisory on this posted on Amtrak.com either.  Everything I have gotten is because I am an affected passenger :) , not as a general announcement.

The General Service Advisory is on the Website now, for the first time.  For Surfliner (between Oxnard and Chatsworth), and for Coast Starlight:

**Coast Starlight Train 11 April 27 - 29 and Train 14 April 28 - 29

**These trains will detour between Oakland and Los Angeles and will not make stops at San Jose, Salinas, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Oxnard, Simi Valley, Van Nuys and Burbank. Passengers traveling to those destinations can use local travel services.

**    Trains 11 and 14 may incur up to 60-minute delays on the detour route.
**    Bus 4011 will connect with Train 11 and will operate between Oakland and San Luis Obispo, making intermediate station stops at San Jose, Salinas and Paso Robles.

P&SR

"Keep 'em Rolling!"

#55 p&sr

p&sr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted Today, 10:04 AM

The General Service Advisory is on the Website now, for the first time.  For Surfliner (between Oxnard and Chatsworth)...

Looks like the Surfliner will use a Bus Bridge.  Checking 4/28, LAX to Goleta... the route now includes a Bus from Chatsworth to Oxnard (for certain runs), or a Bus from Chatsworth to Goleta (for other runs).

Always something new!

P&SR

"Keep 'em Rolling!"

#56 desertflyer

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted Today, 10:55 AM

The General Service Advisory is on the Website now, for the first time.  For Surfliner (between Oxnard and Chatsworth)...

Looks like the Surfliner will use a Bus Bridge.  Checking 4/28, LAX to Goleta... the route now includes a Bus from Chatsworth to Oxnard (for certain runs), or a Bus from Chatsworth to Goleta (for other runs).

Always something new!

I'm actually a bit surprised they bothered. With the bridge work down near San Diego they weren't offering any alternative transportation for a couple of the weekends the line was closed. I actually find that unacceptable and am happy to see there will be buses available.

#57 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts

Posted Today, 11:20 AM

I am wondering why Train 11 will detour three days, and Train 14 only two days.... :unsure:

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#58 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

I am wondering why Train 11 will detour three days, and Train 14 only two days.... :unsure:

It is because of the schedule of the trains. On the first day, 14 goes through the construction area before the work begins while 11 does not.

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, Today, 11:25 AM.

<p>Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-NYP

#59 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted Today, 11:29 AM

My understanding is Metrolink is putting a hard work window that starts after the Friday rush hour (9 pm?).  If 11 is on time, it would make it through before the work window, but if it ran late, it might be stranded short of LA, so they are detouring it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users