Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

And the news keeps coming!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:15 AM

VIA has now awarded another contract to upgrade 25 more cars from the BUDD fleet and this is in addition to the 17 cars announced last week + the entirely new corridor fleet also recently announced.

"25 train cars intended for use on the long-haul train, the Canadian. Built in the 1950s, these cars will be completely refurbished and transformed to better meet our clients present and future needs"

http://www.viarail.c...-contract-to-ca

Edited by NS VIA Fan, 11 April 2018 - 05:15 AM.

#2 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

Good news.

Will be interesting to see which cars are being upgraded; coach cars, Skyline cars, diners or sleepers.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#3 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

My bet is that it's sleepers.  To expand on that bet, I suspect it'll be a rebuild of the Chateau sleepers (which mostly sit idle) since converting those into something like 11 bedroom sleepers would probably be a productive use of capital.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users