Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

One less train rider

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

Get on the train drunk in DC, get drunker, in a first class car have "hostile exchanges" with a woman passenger, get kicked off the train in NY, then call in a false bomb-on-the-train report so you can later get arrested and face the possibility of spending 5 years in prison.
A really smart guy.  :giggle:

https://www.msn.com/...IBka?li=BBnb7Kz

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#2 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

He has many more problems besides his Amtrak stupidity.

#3 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

And apparently he seriously abused his girlfriend in college. Miller is funny, but seriously man, get your act together.

Edited by cpotisch, 10 April 2018 - 05:31 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#4 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

Get on the train drunk in DC, get drunker, in a first class car have "hostile exchanges" with a woman passenger, get kicked off the train in NY, then call in a false bomb-on-the-train report so you can later get arrested and face the possibility of spending 5 years in prison.
A really smart guy.  :giggle:

https://www.msn.com/...IBka?li=BBnb7Kz

You should have posted his name, otherwise how easy would it be for someone to post another thread about Mr. Miller.

https://pagesix.com/...n-amtrak-train/

Edited by Rover, 10 April 2018 - 06:06 PM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#5 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:52 PM

I remember the alerts on this. He actually delayed a few trains. I do wonder if this will be an issue:

he attendant on Miller's actual train stated that he "appeared intoxicated upon boarding in Washington, that he consumed multiple drinks on the train, and that he had been removed in New York owing to his intoxication. The attendant also advised that Miller had been involved in hostile exchanges with a woman who was sitting in a different row from him in the first class car," according to the release.

I can see a lawyer having a field day with this tidbit of information. I can picture them attempting to shift some of the blame on the attendant for serving a passenger who already appeared intoxicated.

• Walt and Rover like this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#6 flitcraft

flitcraft

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

For better or for worse, criminal law doesn't recognize comparative negligence.  So, even if Miller was 'over-served,' it won't matter a whit to the sentencing judge.  Nor should it. He's being charged with pretty serious criminal acts, and stands a significant chance of doing some time at public expense in this matter. (Been a long time since I tried a criminal case in federal court, but my recollection is that the sentences there are no joke compared to state courts.)

#7 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

unmissed too

#8 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:44 PM

Never heard of him before.   Seriously, I haven't.    :P   

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#9 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

I remember the alerts on this. He actually delayed a few trains. I do wonder if this will be an issue:

he attendant on Miller's actual train stated that he "appeared intoxicated upon boarding in Washington, that he consumed multiple drinks on the train, and that he had been removed in New York owing to his intoxication. The attendant also advised that Miller had been involved in hostile exchanges with a woman who was sitting in a different row from him in the first class car," according to the release.

I can see a lawyer having a field day with this tidbit of information. I can picture them attempting to shift some of the blame on the attendant for serving a passenger who already appeared intoxicated.

I don't know if that will get any traction with a Federal Judge, but isn't it typical of transportation providers to serve 1st Class passengers drinks, even if they already appear intoxicated. How many incidents on airplanes have been fueled by passengers being served alcohol?? Too many to count.

Edited by Rover, 11 April 2018 - 10:20 PM.

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#10 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:29 AM

I’ve personally witnessed a lounge car attendant on the CZ refuse to sell more beer to a passenger who appeared intoxicated. And this passenger attempt to get other passengers to purchase beer for said passenger to consume. Not successful in either case. And the conductor and a burly CA were called in to enforce the lounge attendant’s decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
  • brianpmcdonnell17 likes this

#11 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:53 AM

It'll be complicated, to be sure.  On the one hand, I don't think it will matter (much) to the judge, who may be inclined towards some example-making regardless of any mitigating circumstances.  On the other hand, even though I don't think it will matter to the judge, it could still make for a headache for Amtrak (could they be fined or sued?) and force them to crack down a bit on serving visibly intoxicated pax.

Edited by Anderson, 12 April 2018 - 02:54 AM.

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#12 Wolverine72

Wolverine72

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:15 AM

Not too intoxicated to call in a bomb threat apparently. We'll see if that defense works.

Next time fly United!

#13 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

Not too intoxicated to call in a bomb threat apparently. We'll see if that defense works.

Next time fly United!

Umm, no.  Used to, but not for a few years.

#14 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

Big comedian and actor known for his work on 'Silicon Valley'.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/T.J._Miller

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#15 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Same here. I stopped watching television about 15 years ago.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#16 Chey

Chey

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

I don't remember when I quit watching TV, I couldn't even keep up with it all when I did watch it. A lot of people think it's weird I don't but I don't get where they find the time for it.
  • tricia and JRR like this

#17 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

I don't remember when I quit watching TV, I couldn't even keep up with it all when I did watch it. A lot of people think it's weird I don't but I don't get where they find the time for it.

I don't even have a TV--nothing worth watching, except for baseball, and that's better on the radio. (Of course, when I travel, the first thing I do is turn on the hotel TV and see what's on, but it's more of a treat that way instead of seeing it every day.)

#18 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

T.J. Miller is obviously a very disturbed individual but a member of the "privileged class".  I believe that he court will most likely send him to rehab and he will avoid jail time.  I agree with the above poster; very little on TV worth watching.  Its all very negative, excepting some sports games

#19 bms

bms

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

For better or for worse, criminal law doesn't recognize comparative negligence.  So, even if Miller was 'over-served,' it won't matter a whit to the sentencing judge.  Nor should it. He's being charged with pretty serious criminal acts, and stands a significant chance of doing some time at public expense in this matter. (Been a long time since I tried a criminal case in federal court, but my recollection is that the sentences there are no joke compared to state courts.)

Since this guy apparently has some money, perhaps Amtrak should sue the passenger in civil court for the cost of diverting a train to search for bombs.  Blaming the cafe car attendant would be a pretty poor defense in civil court as well, in my opinion.

#20 Rover

Rover

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

The last time I remember being invested in TV shows as a major part of my life and my time was when The Wild Wild West was on the air in 1965. Here's a link to what was on TV at night then... https://en.wikipedia...vision_schedule

And the following season: https://en.wikipedia...vision_schedule

Edited by Rover, 13 April 2018 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users