Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Texas Eagle - Cardinal connection

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LandN_*

Guest_LandN_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

I'm supposed to be connecting from the Texas Eagle to the Cardinal on the 21st. What happens if this guaranteed connection is missed? Would Amtrak pay for a rental car or bus fare back to Kentucky? Putting up in hotel til next train wouldn't work since the next Cardinal is not for three days.

#2 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:26 PM

If the Eagle is very very late at STL they might bus you to IND. There are other options available up the line. You have just under 4 hours between trains in Chicago, so the TE generally doesn't loose too much between STL and CHI.  I think you will be fine even if the TE departs STL an hour or so late.

• acelafan likes this

#3 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:45 AM

No. Amtrak won't pay for a car rental back to Kentucky.

But they may pay for a bus.

If the TE is not to late they may hold the Cardinal for connecting TE passengers.

https://www.amtrak.c...he-station.html

In the case of a missed guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide alternate transportation on Amtrak, another carrier, or overnight hotel accommodations, at Amtrak's discretion.

Edited by KmH, 10 April 2018 - 09:48 AM.

California Zephyr • Coast Starlight  • Southwest Chief • Sunset Limited • Texas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr • Capitol Corridor

. . . . Amtrak miles - 23,703, so far.

#4 acelafan

acelafan

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

If the Eagle is very very late at STL they might bus you to IND. There are other options available up the line. You have just under 4 hours between trains in Chicago, so the TE generally doesn't loose too much between STL and CHI.  I think you will be fine even if the TE departs STL an hour or so late.

The connection statistics are very positive - 96% OK since Feb 1.

Link: https://juckins.net/...dir=DESC&dfon=1

Attached Files

ASMAD - Has your train been running on time?

Amtrak Timetable Archives - PDFs since 2009

#5 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,287 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:08 AM

As was said,stuff may happen to any train to cause delays, but the odds are very good to make this connection.

The only time I was bustituted making this connection was from Bloomington/Normal to Indy to catch the Card.There is a daily Thruway Bus that runs from Galesburg to Indy.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 10 April 2018 - 10:08 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#6 bratkinson

bratkinson

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

A couple of years ago, I was arriving at CHI on  #6 and we were running about 5 hours late account a boulder-slide in Colorado that messed up the track a bit.  They bused (actually, a 30-seater oversize airport van, in my opinion) to IND to meet the Cardinal.  We got there about an hour ahead of time, including the 1 hr stop enroute for dinner (on our own) at a cluster of fast-food places at a freeway exit in Illinois.  That's the good news...

About a year ago, I was on the Cardinal leaving Chicago exactly on time.  We weren't past Roosevelt Rd and in comes a several hours late #4 or #6, I don't recall which.  The other one of the two came in about 20 minutes later, according to the Amtrak web site.  I felt bad for the connecting passengers.  From my perspective, Chicago is more concerned about 'on time' than 'passenger service'.  'On time' is easily measured, 'passenger service', not so easily measured.  I stopped flying Continental Airlines 15-16 years ago because of the same problem...not holding a the last plane of the day to my destination for a lousy 15 minutes or so, and they refused to put me up for the night.     

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:22 AM

By Amtrak standards, a 4% missed connection rate from a western train is pretty much perfect. You should be all set.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users