Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Silver Star: What to do for meals without Diner?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

It seems to be the overwhelming consensus of AUers who are also Amtrak customers, that the National Menu and Amcrap served in the Cafes takes a back seat to the State sponsored trains offerings!

Hopefully Mr Anderson and his Airline Executive team are aware of this and will work on upgrading this service ASAP!

I wouldn't even mind if all of the Full Service Diners were turned into Diner Lites on the Eastern,One Day/Night Trains if this was done.

First we kill all the Boardman bean counters that nicked and dimed the LD Trains, then start on the lawyers.LOL

Edited by Bob Dylan, 16 April 2018 - 01:20 PM.

• cpotisch likes this
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#62 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Macaroni and Cheese and Local Cookie on Cascades Bistro car.

That Mac 'n Cheese looks pretty much identical to the Trader Joe's microwavable Mac n' Cheese I'm eating right now. Still looks a whole lot better than the Kraft mac I've seen on the east coast trains.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#63 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

It seems to be the overwhelming consensus of AUers who are also Amtrak customers, that the National Menu and Amcrap served in the Cafes takes a back seat to the State sponsored trains offerings!

Yep, I agree too.  If the state-sponsored menu on the Downeaster were available nationally I'd be pretty happy.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#64 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:08 PM

I wonder if Anderson is willing to increase spending on the National Menus with so many in Congress wanting no food service. My US Senator doesn't see the benefit of passenger rail, my US Rep has not been against It, but also not an advocate. He is retiring so not sure what November will bring with many Reps retiring.

#65 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

The cascades has a lot of locally sourced items as well. Let's not kid ourselves if Anderson finds out he will demand the state's go to the national network for equal but crappy service.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users