Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Silver Star: What to do for meals without Diner?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:23 PM

There's no reason to expect sleepers on the two different trains to be at the same bucket level on any given day.

I think it's even remotely possible for a Roomette on the SM to be $8 less than on the SS!  

I know that. My point was that the lowest roomette bucket on the Star is $60 cheaper than the Meteor.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#42 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

The differences between the SS and SM upper buckets seem to be substantial.  Does the SM always have higher occupancy rates to drive the higher rates?  In theory, the difference between buckets should be equal across the board to compensate for the lost meals, otherwise the buckets would be the same.  Is the SS priced lower to draw more passengers or is Amtrak leaving money on the table?

#43 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

There's no reason to expect sleepers on the two different trains to be at the same bucket level on any given day.

I think it's even remotely possible for a Roomette on the SM to be $8 less than on the SS!  

I know that. My point was that the lowest roomette bucket on the Star is $60 cheaper than the Meteor.

A minor point, but the lowest Roomette bucket on the Star ($187) is $72 cheaper than the lowest Roomette bucket on the Meteor ($259).  See Post #40.  Do the math.

Edited by niemi24s, 13 April 2018 - 10:02 PM.

#44 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:37 AM

Another point about the Silver Star is that it has a unique cafe car menu that went into effect about 4 months after the dining car was pulled. This menu which is on-line under the route descriptions, NOT the dining information tab, lists hot entrees for $10.00, ask server for availability.

Has anyone out there tried one ?? I would assume they are similar to the “tray meals” that were once served on trains that had “Amdinette” service, like the Montrealler had after it lost its full diner.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#45 fordan

fordan

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:56 AM

I’m going to be doing the Silver Star PHL-MIA in a couple weeks solo in a roomette and I’m planning to do the picnic basket option with a collapsible cooler. Figure I can grab a hot sandwich for lunch at the 30th Street Station Jersey Mike’s and maybe a cold one to toss in the cooler, some Uncrustable frozen PB&J sandwiches, cereal in a cup for breakfast, etc. Viewing it as an adventure where if I fail I get to eat a bunch of hot dogs and the like from the cafe car as punishment for poor planning.

I am curious what the hot entree is like though.

#46 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

I am curious what the hot entree is like though.

Although I never tried a hot entree, I looked at the ingredient list and opted not to try.  I have food allergies and the list contained ingredients I did not want to consume.  Although I did not look for the entrees the last time I was on the Star (January 2018), I did not see the hot entrees offered.  They may be been discontinued, but I am not sure.  I do know that the sandwich menu had changed since the last time I had traveled on the Star.

Amtrak miles: 233,112; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#47 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Another point about the Silver Star is that it has a unique cafe car menu that went into effect about 4 months after the dining car was pulled. This menu which is on-line under the route descriptions, NOT the dining information tab, lists hot entrees for $10.00, ask server for availability.

Has anyone out there tried one ?? I would assume they are similar to the “tray meals” that were once served on trains that had “Amdinette” service, like the Montrealler had after it lost its full diner.

Ken

I believe they cancelled the tray meals on the Star after a few months, due to low demand.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#48 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:37 AM

Here is the Cafe Menu that is unique to the Star and has been verified on the Silver Service Facebook page by 

people who have ridden the Star recently.

It does have some additional items not offered the National Cafe Car Menu, earlier versions of this menu listed the heat and eat entrees,

it now lists to check with the server, as they cut back the variety per trip to 2, or 3, as opposed to the original offering of 5.

Actual trip reports on this menu from forum members would be appreciated.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Silver-Star-Cafe-Menu-0417.pdf 

Ken 

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#49 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:47 AM

Link doesn't work!

• crescent2 likes this

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

#50 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

Don't know why the link doesn't work, but if you search for Silver-Star-Cafe-Menu-0417.pdf, that link shows up and works.

#51 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Don't know why the link doesn't work, but if you search for Silver-Star-Cafe-Menu-0417.pdf, that link shows up and works.

But isn't that from April 17. That might not be up to date.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that that was verified by some FB folks.

Edited by cpotisch, 16 April 2018 - 11:55 AM.

#52 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:00 PM

Actual trip reports on this menu from forum members would be appreciated.

PennyK mentioned just a few posts up that she didn't remember seeing them offered in January. 

I rode in February and didn't see anything offered either. 

In my experience the Amtrak Cascades, Downeaster, and California trains (yes... all state sponsored... that's my point) offer better food options in the cafe car than the Silver Star currently offers. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#53 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:05 PM

In my experience the Amtrak Cascades, Downeaster, and California trains (yes... all state sponsored... that's my point) offer better food options in the cafe car than the Silver Star currently offers. 

Is it correct that the state trains tend to locally source the cafe offerings? Sort of a state pride kind of thing? I know that the Downeaster has some local pastries and such, but not sure about the Cascades, CC, PacSurf, or SJ.

#54 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

All three of the California routes offer local wines and beers. I wouldn't go so far as to describe the cafe food as local delicacies, but it's familiar Californian fare and better quality than you'll find in the Starlight's or Zephyr's cafe. I find the quality of the Capitol Corridor cafe service, food and overall experience better than the Starlight or Zephyr dining car. It's tops when they have a proper lounge car, but it's a superior product even when they're running a panic box.

Edited by TiBike, 16 April 2018 - 12:17 PM.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#55 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

Attached File  IMG_1049.jpg   1.98MB   14 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1050.jpg   2.05MB   13 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1047.jpg   1.67MB   13 downloads

#56 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

Im not sure what the printed menu said, but that was not the available menu when I rode the star in February. If that is the same "layered veggie" salad I got on the Empire Service last summer its wayyyyy better than the Chicken Caesar salad that was the only salad option when I rode the Star.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#57 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:45 PM

Aren't there 'hot entrees' in the cafe cars on the other trains - just standard warmed up AmCrap served in a metal tube?

Edited by cpotisch, 16 April 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#58 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

Aren't there 'hot entrees' in the cafe cars on the other trains - just standard warmed up AmCrap served in a metal tube?

What does that even mean? Any food on amtrak is "AmCrap"? 

I'm not really sure if you were actually asking a question but in my personal observations the food on the Cascades and San Joaquin (Amtrak California) trains was much better than that served on the "National Menu."     The macaroni and cheese on the Cascades, and the Burritos on the San Joaquin are both re-heated items.  Years ago (could have changed) the oatmeal served on the cascades was prepared and served dining car style. Meaning it was ladeled from a pot into a bowl, and you were given a little cup with raisins and brown sugar.  That's a big step up from adding hot water to a quaker cardboard cup like they do in the cafe car. 

#59 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

Macaroni and Cheese and Local Cookie on Cascades Bistro car.

Attached Files

#60 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

What does that even mean? Any food on amtrak is "AmCrap"? 

I'm not really sure if you were actually asking a question but in my personal observations the food on the Cascades and San Joaquin (Amtrak California) trains was much better than that served on the "National Menu."     The macaroni and cheese on the Cascades, and the Burritos on the San Joaquin are both re-heated items.  Years ago (could have changed) the oatmeal served on the cascades was prepared and served dining car style. Meaning it was ladeled from a pot into a bowl, and you were given a little cup with raisins and brown sugar.  That's a big step up from adding hot water to a quaker cardboard cup like they do in the cafe car. 

I was asking if those 'hot entrees' listed on that are the same as I've seen on other standard cafe cars. I seem to recall (but could be wrong) that on my last NER trip, the same thing was listed on the Cafe menu.

As to the Cascades' bistro car, I believe they still serve the oatmeal the proper way, so I guess they haven't changed that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users