Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Was pre Katrina Sunset Limited the only train to go cross country?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

Wow, how many nights/days was that from end to end? Was the same Porter with the car the whole trip since they worked for Pullman?

Floridia and South Wind were two nights, so probably four nights total.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#22 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

Wasn't there a car that ran through from the West Coast to Chicago, dropped down to WAS and was added to one of the Florida trains? I know the car was designated 830 from CHI-MIA.

Any idea on the year ThirdRail. I know just the historian to ask.

I believe this was early to mid 90s.

I'm trying to track down that through car. Did the car switch trains at WAS or was it on the South Wind/Floridian the whole way CHI-MIA?

I know it switched at WAS and I believe CHI.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#23 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:04 PM

Bill Haithcoat would of have this question answer in a minute. Give him another minute he would find the timetable for you.

Rest In Peace Bill Haithcoat.
  • Chatter163 likes this

#24 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

AFAIK, in the Amtrak era, besides the thru Sunset Limited to Florida, the only coast to coast thru sleepers marketed as such, were the aforementioned Southern Crescent - Sunset Limited, and the other was the daily National Limited - Southwest Chief, switched in Kansas City...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#25 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:21 AM

In the late 70's Amtrak operated a through sleeper to Washington from LA via the Sunset and Crescent. Like the Sunset the Crescent was also tri weekly NOL-Atlanta at that time. You could occupy the sleeper for the overnight in New Orleans - not only for through passengers but also for passengers originating in NOL " upon payment of applicable charges". 

Didnt that car go all the way from LAX to NYP?
IIRC, Amtrak brought the Southern Crescent on to NYP, although Southern added or dropped several cars at WAS...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#26 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:10 AM

Didnt that car go all the way from LAX to NYP?
IIRC, Amtrak brought the Southern Crescent on to NYP, although Southern added or dropped several cars at WAS...

SOU was much more reasonable as it did drop several cars both coach and sleepers at Washington.  If Amtrak followed the same operation it could free up both AM-2 coaches and a sleeper that could same day turn in WASH.  During high travel times more cars would operate between WASH - NYP and SOU would run an extra or advance section(s) ATL <> WASH. 

#27 chrsjrcj

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:47 AM

Through coach via Cap Limited and Silver Star

#28 Trogdor

Trogdor

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

Wasn't there a car that ran through from the West Coast to Chicago, dropped down to WAS and was added to one of the Florida trains? I know the car was designated 830 from CHI-MIA.

Any idea on the year ThirdRail. I know just the historian to ask.

I believe this was early to mid 90s.

I'm trying to track down that through car. Did the car switch trains at WAS or was it on the South Wind/Floridian the whole way CHI-MIA?

I know it switched at WAS and I believe CHI.

Would a Chicago-West Coast train have had single-level coaches in the early 1990s?

The Capitol Limited (and Florida trains) were single-level at that time, but I thought all west coast trains were Superliner/Hi-Level.

In any event, here is the page showing through service on the Chief and Capitol: http://timetables.or...0511n&item=0024
  • JRR likes this
Posted Image

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

From the west coast or just between the CL and Star?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#30 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

It clearly says "Chicago to Miami". Ergo....

I believe in 1992 all western LDs were Superliner/HiLevel already, while the Cap was still single level.

By 1997 the Cap had become Superliner allowing consist sharing with the Southwest Chief and the short lived run through at Chicago.

#31 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:52 AM

It clearly says "Chicago to Miami". Ergo....

I believe in 1992 all western LDs were Superliner/HiLevel already, while the Cap was still single level.

By 1997 the Cap had become Superliner allowing consist sharing with the Southwest Chief and the short lived run through at Chicago.

I wasn't sure if he was referring to the West Coast through car brought up by TR7. Timetable was to pixelated to read.

#32 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

You can click on that link that says "load page" or something like that to get a bigger version of the page.

• Philly Amtrak Fan and cpotisch like this

#33 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,017 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Embiggened version:
http://timetables.or...0405n&item=0019
  • cpotisch likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#34 cpotisch

cpotisch

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

Thanks a lot. 'Tis now crystal clear.

#35 Skyline

Skyline

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:34 PM

There was a thru-sleeper from NYC to LAX on the old National Limited, connecting at KC with the Southwest Chief.

There was a thru-sleeper from NYC to LAX on the Crescent, connecting at NOL with the Sunset Limited. The sleeper stayed at NOL Union Station overnight so you could use it as your hotel. It was added to the connecting train before early AM departure.

#36 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

There was a thru-sleeper from NYC to LAX on the old National Limited, connecting at KC with the Southwest Chief.

There was a thru-sleeper from NYC to LAX on the Crescent, connecting at NOL with the Sunset Limited. The sleeper stayed at NOL Union Station overnight so you could use it as your hotel. It was added to the connecting train before early AM departure.

Yes, the good old days. They even advertised it as such. From Timetables.org, May 1977: http://timetables.or...70501&item=0036

I assumed if you were a coach passenger you had to get off though.

I can see the SL-Crescent timing in NOL was really not much better than it is today. The only thing better is the train got into LAX after 6am as opposed to today. The train still serves San Antonio during the graveyard shift in both directions. But at least back then it served Phoenix.

At least back then you had the National Limited and Lone Star. The connection in KCY between 31 and 15 (11:05pm and 12:35am) would have been tight if going from the NEC and Texas, you'd probably still rather use CHI although maybe in the winter you might consider the southern route. You wouldn't try it returning 16 to 30 though (2:10am to 7:00am!)

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#37 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:12 PM

Those were the days.  I keep wondering if we have another 911, except worse, grounding the airlines longer, then everyone will be screaming why doesn't Amtrak have more trains to more cities.

• cpotisch likes this

#38 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

Airlines groundings ?  Has happened due to volcanic ash.  Biggest problem will be RRs needing many replacement air filters.  Mt. St   Helens did require almost daily loco air filter changes in the ash area.

#39 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

And the SL ran from east to west from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean — the Panama Railway does the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

What? Are you serious?

Yes, the Atlantic Ocean entrance to the Panama Canal passageway is WEST of the Pacific Ocean entrance to the Panama Canal passageway. One of those quirks of geography that my junior high school geography teacher 55 years ago would mention in all of his classes at the start of the school year.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#40 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:43 AM

Yes, the Atlantic Ocean entrance to the Panama Canal passageway is WEST of the Pacific Ocean entrance to the Panama Canal passageway. One of those quirks of geography that my junior high school geography teacher 55 years ago would mention in all of his classes at the start of the school year.

There's apparently a mountain top in Panama where you can look west and see the Atlantic (Caribbean) and look east to see the Pacific (Gulf of Panama).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users