Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak route most loved by the communities along the route?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Trains, roads, planes, nintendo

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:01 PM

What Amtrak route is very important to the communities along the route and people there really appreciate it? 

#2 BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Warbirds and Automobiles.
    Computer Technology.
    Electric Blues

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:44 PM

All of them.

#3 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:23 AM

Would love to support one of my SE trains.  However probably the Empire builder might be the one  and it certainly is the most important in winter.

A very eye opening statement by a fellow passenger on it was "  I can get a better meal on this train and it doesn't cost me any more "

Edited by west point, 08 April 2018 - 02:25 AM.

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,926 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

A quick glance at the ridership numbers might give a hint. ;) Although it would be somewhat difficult to normalize the numbers to account for number of offered seats and such.

#5 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

A quick glance at the ridership numbers might give a hint. ;) Although it would be somewhat difficult to normalize the numbers to account for number of offered seats and such.

Would we consider the highest percentage of riders based on the local population served ?   10 , 15 , 20 , 25 mile numbers ?     

#6 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

Would we consider the highest percentage of riders based on the local population served ?   10 , 15 , 20 , 25 mile numbers ?     

percent of population

#7 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 01:18 PM

Most small rural communities love having access to the train verses driving long distances. These areas have a small population, so ridership is low, but having the train is a very important transportation link for rural America.

#8 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

The exception is West Texas, which doesn't seem to appreciate its Sunset Limited service much.  But a lot of rural towns do "overperform".

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#9 railgeekteen

railgeekteen

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:49 PM

The exception is West Texas, which doesn't seem to appreciate its Sunset Limited service much.  But a lot of rural towns do "overperform".

Look at Del Rio's times and frequency of service.

#10 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

Agree, it is hard to support a train in the middle of the nigh three times a week.  Change to a daily train with a marketing plan, I imagine you could pull so many more people.  These people may need to go to LA on Monday, then return before the weekend, but only three times a week  knocks these people out over and over.

#11 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

Look at Del Rio's times and frequency of service.

Agree, it is hard to support a train in the middle of the nigh three times a week.  Change to a daily train with a marketing plan, I imagine you could pull so many more people.  These people may need to go to LA on Monday, then return before the weekend, but only three times a week  knocks these people out over and over.

But that's true of any locality, small town or big city. 

I would believe population is still #1 when it comes to ridership but there are other factors. In bigger cities there are other transportation options competing with the train. If the train stops by at inconvenient times or less than daily service, that will hurt. College towns tend to have higher than normal ridership. Champaign Urbana, Ann Arbor, and Charlottesville definitely outperform their "population". Also, if you are about 100-200 miles away from a major city, your train service to that city is going to be attractive. 

• cpotisch likes this

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#12 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

Semi-rural college towns are kind of the holy grail of ridership: they punch *way* above their population numbers, with a large number of students coming and going every time class starts or stops.

If there were a reasonable track route (one would have to be reconstructed by buying homes) I'd strongly suggest service to Ithaca, NY :-)
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#13 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

I feel like the Silvers are pretty well liked. Could be wrong but the Meteor is a pretty large train and has always been pretty full when I've written. It certainly helps that Florida has so many senior citizens, many of which can't or don't want to fly.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#14 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

I feel like the Silvers are pretty well liked. Could be wrong but the Meteor is a pretty large train and has always been pretty full when I've written. It certainly helps that Florida has so many senior citizens, many of which can't or don't want to fly.

I resemble that remark! Seriously, it is a lot more pleasant to ride the Meteor from South Florida to Baltimore/Wilmington area rather than driving I 95 for 1200 miles.

It is more expensive but makes a wonderful trip, 4 meals which while are not gourmet fare, but a great opportunity to visit with fellow travelers.

Additionally, for the most part the SCAs and LSAs do a good job and my wife and I have become friends with several of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#15 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

I resemble that remark! Seriously, it is a lot more pleasant to ride the Meteor from South Florida to Baltimore/Wilmington area rather than driving I 95 for 1200 miles.
It is more expensive but makes a wonderful trip, 4 meals which while are not gourmet fare, but a great opportunity to visit with fellow travelers.
Additionally, for the most part the SCAs and LSAs do a good job and my wife and I have become friends with several of them.
Yeah! All but one of the MANY SCAs I've had on the Silvers over the years have been great. I've found that though the views are not amazing, the farmland and fields are very pleasant and calming. It's just a very pleasant and nice way to travel.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#16 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yeah! All but one of the MANY SCAs I've had on the Silvers over the years have been great. I've found that though the views are not amazing, the farmland and fields are very pleasant and calming. It's just a very pleasant and nice way to travel.

The most boring part is at night!

#17 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

Again, true of almost any train (unless there's trains with laser shows or neon light shows along the route:) 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#18 JRR

JRR

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

Again, true of almost any train (unless there's trains with laser shows or neon light shows along the route:) 

What I meant is that the Ga, SC, NC and southern Va. is all trees with little to see so being at night is good!

#19 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

With the room light off, it is amazing all the sights you can see at night.  Yes, a full moon really helps and some areas have more communities.

#20 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

With the room light off, it is amazing all the sights you can see at night.  Yes, a full moon really helps and some areas have more communities.

Exactly! It's so enjoyable to just tuck yourself in and look out the window as the train speeds through the night. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users