Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Wandering during stops - reasonably!

29 replies to this topic

#21 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

I almost always get off and walk around, but almost always stay train side.  I may walk into the station.

The only station where I've wandered off is Albuquerque.  It is a long stop and there is a generous pad both directions.  I have been on trains with as long as 90 minutes in Albuquerque, so I've gone off and walked around on occasion, including going to an ATM.

Pre Amtrak: SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr

Amtrak: Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited (NY Section), Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Crescent, Acela Express, Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section)

Via Rail Canada: Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal)

Other: BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Alaska Railroad, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#22 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:53 PM

If I'm going to get a locomotive photo generally I will go to the furthest open vestibule and tell whichever crew member there what I'm doing. As generally I'm fairly fast and can have a photo and be back in under two minutes. Giving me plenty of standing time on the platform.
  • cpotisch likes this
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

Glenwood Springs is a smoke/fresh air stop infamous for people wandering into the nearby shops above the station platform and getting left behind when the train departs.
I know some people on the westbound CZ that got left have gotten a taxi to take them to the Grand Junction stop to catch up with the train. I've heard the cost to do that is about $300.

And I witnessed a person left behind on the eastbound CZ at Glenwood Springs when they went into the station to admire the museum. Fortunately, this person was able to book a ticket via phone on an eastbound Greyhound departing about an hour later, which easily beat the train to Denver — a little bit poorer but hopefully wiser.

#24 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,648 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

I often disembark and walk around during station stops.  Sometimes no further than the platform but other times multiple blocks away from the station far beyond sight of the train.  If we're early or on time I don't bother asking the crew anything and just make sure I'm back on the platform 5 minutes before departure (according to my phone).  If the train is running late I discuss timing with the staff and generally stay on or near the platform unless it's a refueling stop.

• DoB likes this

#25 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

The northbound Coast Starlight (14) is usually early into Klamath Falls. Once, when it arrived 20 minutes early, I had enough time to wander off a bit as it stopped for three times longer than its usual 10 minute stop. Since I had to grab something from my apartment (2 miles away), I hailed a cab to get there, run, grab, return, and reboard. I got back on board with the needed item with about 3 minutes to spare.

• DoB likes this

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, California Zephyr, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 29716 miles

#26 DCAKen

DCAKen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

A few months back, I took the Vermonter up to Essex Junction with a couple of friends for a ski trip. On the way back, we had a 45 minute layover at Penn Station. That gave us plenty of time to get out of the station and find a pizzeria for a couple of authentic NY slices about a block away. We got back even before they started boarding the NYP passengers.

#27 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

I've only ever gotten off the train at a stop in WAS. Even if that train is running late, the engine switch takes a certain amount of time and they will announce before the power goes out that it'll be a shortened stop so stay on the platform and don't go up into the station. But they don't leave the second the Diesel is attached, so I know that if I reboard within a minute of the engine switch I'll be fine.

#28 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Years ago I was on the Palmetto going to Florence SC. I was half awake when we got to Fayetteville and I went inside the station figuring we just got there. Actually we arrived ten minutes before and when I walked out to the train it was moving! Everything I had was on the train. I called Amtrak told them the situation and where my stuff was. I walked to the Greyhound station took a bus to Florence five miles from the Amtrak station and took a cab to hopefully retrieve my belongings. They were there. My hotel was a few blocks from the train station. Lesson learned. Always be aware of your surroundings and never leave the platform if you have only a few minutes
  • cpotisch likes this

#29 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

I've only ever gotten off the train at a stop in WAS. Even if that train is running late, the engine switch takes a certain amount of time and they will announce before the power goes out that it'll be a shortened stop so stay on the platform and don't go up into the station. But they don't leave the second the Diesel is attached, so I know that if I reboard within a minute of the engine switch I'll be fine.

Yeah. Engine switches are the safest stops since you know the train isn't going anywhere without a loco. When I was on the LSL (eastbound) in February, we pulled into Albany a few hours late, and though I normally wouldn't hop off when behind schedule, in that case I knew I had time to stretch my legs on the platform. Since they  have to detach the Boston section and attach a P32, there's always a fair bit of time to walk around the platform. If you're aware of your surroundings, and understand what needs to happen to the train at the given stop, you'll almost always be fine.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#30 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:07 PM

I get off during the service stops even when the train is late, but stay close since I have been surprised a few times with how quickly the work get completed.  When the train is late some crews manage to get the train on its way faster than passengers expect.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users